Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Good place to start

I'm a handgun owner interested in buying my first rifle. With the Allentown show this weekend I would like some help in chosing that first rifle.
    I haven't done any hunting and I'm thinking in the line of a self defense weapon. However I'm not going to rule out hunting in the future.
    Friends have suggested a 270 caliber bolt action rifle. It seems like this would be affordable and available.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

(Berks County)

Default Re: Good place to start

Quote Originally Posted by Tmoney View Post
    I'm a handgun owner interested in buying my first rifle. With the Allentown show this weekend I would like some help in chosing that first rifle.
    I haven't done any hunting and I'm thinking in the line of a self defense weapon. However I'm not going to rule out hunting in the future.
    Friends have suggested a 270 caliber bolt action rifle. It seems like this would be affordable and available.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
    Hmmm a rifle for hunting and self defense? In PA, that's tough, since you cannot hunt with a semi-auto rifle. The ultimate self defense weapon is widely believed to be an AR-15 carbine, but that cannot be used for deer hunting, and the .223 round isn't the best choice for that anyway. I for one wouldn't want to try to defend myself in my home with a long-barreled, bolt action .270

What's your price range?

(Lehigh County)

My price range is around the $500 mark.

(Jefferson County)

A used pump action Remington model 760/7600 series 30-06 or 308 can be had for $500, sometime less.

You can shoot cheaper milsurp ammo(fmj/ball) for cheaper range fun and hunting grade ammo to be legal in the field. Plus you can find a 10rnd mag for it too for home(land) defense usage.

They can be fast shooters, and are accurate.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

I'm no hunter, just a hobby shooter so take this for what its worth. How about a shotgun? You can use slugs for hunting & pellet for any HD. Granted, I woudlnt go 30" barrel & try to clear a house with it, but you may find some middle ground if you cant afford 2 seperate guns.

Hell, I shoot clays with my 18" barrel 12 GA HD pump gun

Just my $0.02
    Last edited by Minor Threat; December 2nd, 2008 at 09:14 PM.
    If you're not outraged & disgusted, you are simply not paying atttention

(Lycoming County)

imo an ar-15 would be a nice first rifle for home defense and to hunt with. but a shot gun is way better if you just want home defense. oh i better add that to hunt with the ar you will need to use a sealed gas tube.

(Lycoming County)

A good Pump 12 gauge can be used for both hunting and Self protection.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by o1dakota440 View Post
    imo an ar-15 would be a nice first rifle for home defense and to hunt with. but a shot gun is way better if you just want home defense. oh i better add that to hunt with the ar you will need to use a sealed gas tube.
    (in bold)
    Not in PA, unless you like fines and loss of hunting privileges. For someone that is a first time rifle user, the gas tube thing is not a logical suggestion.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bedford County)

A good lever action carbine would do just fine for hunting and self defense. I like the short Winchester "Trapper" or Marlin in 30-30 or .44 magnum.

My Winchester Trapper in .44 mag holds plenty of ammo, cycles fast and uses aftermarket ghost ring sights to put me on target quick.

The above Remington 7600 pump is also a good choice. Remington makes a 30-06 carbine model with the shorter barrel.

The 7600 has the advantage of a detachable magazine. Many sight types and optics can also be used on the 7600. 30-06 would be great because it allows you to use a wide range of ammo types and bullet weights. There is still quite a bit of Greek 06' ammo on the market for use in the M1 Garand....cheaper practice ammo!

(Allegheny County)

+1 on the lever gun. You have a wide choice in .30-30 lever guns; the largely equivelent round to the AK/SKS 7.62x39.
    Of course, a choice of a .44 or .357 lever shares calibers with a handgun - where commonality of ammo can be important in a home-defense SHTF situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast