Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Galil .308 accuracy

Anybody know how accurate these are?

Specifically I'm wondering how they stack up to:

-- Saiga .308s (same basic build, I know)
    -- HK91/G3/CETME
    -- FN FAL

Already got a Saiga .308 (22"). Would like another semi-auto .308 and was considering the FAL but those are freakin expensive. So wondering whether I should save up for an FAL or a Galil, which is cheaper. If the Galil is typically a bit more accurate than a Saiga, but less so than an FAL, I might still go with the Galil, but if it's no more accurate than a Saiga, I'll just save for an FAL and hope they're not banned by the time I get the scratch together. Obviously I'm familiar with the AK/Saiga set-up already so the Galil would be pretty easy to transition to.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Galil .308 accuracy

Sorry i dont have a clue as to the ansewr to your Q. Curios to know myself.

Where did you find a .308 Gallil ? All I see online is .223

(Chester County)

I don't believe that a 22" saiga would be significantly more useful than a 16". Accuracy seems to be relatively the same for people who have tested them.

I can't comment on the Galil variation of the Kalashnikov design, I'm not familiar with it. And I also have never seen it in .308.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    Sorry i dont have a clue as to the ansewr to your Q. Curios to know myself.

Where did you find a .308 Gallil ? All I see online is .223
    There was one at SPAG a few weeks ago.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

(Philadelphia County)

Do you mind me asking how much is this Galil you are looking at.. and how much are you budgeting for a FAL??

A quick Google search gave me two Galil's in .308, one for $2,200 and another one for $5,400.

On the other hand, Surplus City near Bristol had 3 Century FALs for $799 each (as of last Saturday). Although, as a FAL fan, I must admit that these three looked a little beat up; but that's never stopped a FAL before...
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Philadelphia County)

Galils have better iron sights than Saigas but I imagine any other accuracy improvements would be marginal.

All of the aforementioned stock rifles are in the neighborhood of 2-3 moa although some people say the HK design is more accurate. All are reliable designs (but the FAL is the prettiest). Mags would be cheapest for the FAL or HK, more hi-cap Saiga mags are becoming available but the quality varies with manufacturer. Mags might be a problem for the Galil, better research that.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Willie D View Post
    Galils have better iron sights than Saigas but I imagine any other accuracy improvements would be marginal.

All of the aforementioned stock rifles are in the neighborhood of 2-3 moa although some people say the HK design is more accurate. All are reliable designs (but the FAL is the prettiest). Mags would be cheapest for the FAL or HK, more hi-cap Saiga mags are becoming available but the quality varies with manufacturer. Mags might be a problem for the Galil, better research that.
    Thanks Willie,

So who makes the best Saiga hi-caps? I just have the 8-rounder.