Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Anyone on the forum work for UPMC?

I can't find anywhere a weapons policy?

Liberalism is a mental disorder.
    Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Default Re: Anyone on the forum work for UPMC?

I don't, but I will take a stab at it (like the semi pun?). I would bet the policy is no weapons on campus. It's a university setting and a medical one at that (University of Pittsburgh Medical College right?) which would make me believe even owning a gun might keep you from being employed just from a personality standpoint.

At the ER Entrance to Presby they have a metal detector and guard posted.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

I have to say that is one thing that is really getting to me about working in a teaching hospital. The total contempt for anything gun related. I almost shat when I heard a surgeon taking about trap shooting with his daughter a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jughead View Post

I can't find anywhere a weapons policy?
    I don't work there, but found this in the staff handbook for the University of Pittsburgh (not UPMC specificially, but the university in general):

"Weapons and Dangerous Substances

The use, possession, or manufacture on any University property of firearms, explosives, weapons, or other dangerous articles or substances that may be injurious to persons or property is strictly prohibited without University authorization. Any violation will result in disciplinary action up to and including filing criminal charges and/or termination of employment".

That is near the bottom of the page linked to above.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    I don't work there, but found this in the staff handbook for the University of Pittsburgh (not UPMC specificially, but the university in general):

"Weapons and Dangerous Substances

The use, possession, or manufacture on any University property of firearms, explosives, weapons, or other dangerous articles or substances that may be injurious to persons or property is strictly prohibited without University authorization. Any violation will result in disciplinary action up to and including filing criminal charges and/or termination of employment".

That is near the bottom of the page linked to above.
    Yeah...criminal charges? I can see termination of employment but could they really file criminal charges for something that is expressively NOT illegal?
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Allegheny County)

everyone should take note that UPMC is not actually affiliated with the University of Pittsburgh. UPMC just pays Pitt to use the name. thus, University of Pittsburgh policies have absolutely no bearing on UPMC and vice-versa (unless, of course, the two entities enter some agreement regarding some specific policy, service, etc.) they do collaborate on a number of things, but they are completely separate entities. (i.e., the staff handbook for University of Pittsburgh is entirely not applicable to UPMC employees).

also, for those who don't live in SW PA, while there are a few UPMC hospitals in the heart of Oakland and, thus, are intermixed a bit with Pitt's campus, there are also UPMC facilities all over SW PA. UPMC is basically a huge non-profit holding company (that holds a whole bunch of for-profit hospitals, clinics, etc.)

(ETA: imho, if you have made an honest effort to find a weapons policy and cannot, and if there are no metal detectors, signs, etc. where you work, i would prolly follow the policy of "concealed means concealed", but i would be prepared to lose my job (and then maybe sue) if concealed somehow became "known".)
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; December 2nd, 2008 at 04:55 PM.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by axmdr40 View Post
    ....but could they really file criminal charges for something that is expressively NOT illegal?
    Nope. They're counting on the fact that the language is "scary", most people don't know any better, and won't take the time to find out.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Montgomery County)

I had a student job at UPMC but I don't remember any weapons policies in particular although I'm sure there were some. Didn't use them much in the comp lab.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom ... go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels nor arms. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

I think i've found a no weapons sign at just about every UPMC hospital. Presby is the only one i've seen that uses a metal detector on a regular basis, though its only on the main ER entrance so you can bypass it during the day.