Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: One offense or two? (Non-lawyers welcome)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    It is a defense. Which means you will be telling a judge after you are arrested.
    A guy forgot his gun in a school bathroom in my hood. He got off due to the lawful purpose law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    As a retired L.E.O. I would need more information. Age, LTCF, how many children on the bus? I could have a field day with charges on a case like this. Thats just for starters.
    I carried on a school bus full of kids on a class trip to the zoo (I think it was). Didn't get caught though.
    FJB

You did not mention if the Individual is an employee of Bus Company or school district, that being said If Not I see several more than two criminal infractions 1) having a loaded firearm on school bus,2) Entering a School with a firearm and 3) subjecting the students to a dangerous environment. I highly recognize Resource Officers the job they do protecting all students Theirs is a Job that does not get enough praise.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Why wouldn't lawful purpose not apply?
    Because I'm drawing from a real-word local event, and while the totality of the charges seems light to me, this is not a "good guy with a gun on school grounds" case.

Quote Originally Posted by Here4now View Post
    At least two – probably more. The tendency is to dig deep and pile on as many charges as possible.
    Agreed, which is why I was surprised to see this person facing only a summary offense, and three misdemeanors, albeit an M1 for a single 912 violation.

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I count three.

1). On the conveyance (the school bus).

2). On the grounds of the school (between the bus and the building).

3). In the school building.
    The above is exactly what I would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by 340M&P View Post
    Like Free said and possibly more:
    Age? If not 21, carrying w/o license
    Persons not to possess
    If of age just getting on the bus with kids is another charge
    Age 23, and because there was no charge under 6106, I assume that prior to this incident, the person did hold a LTCF, though there has been no report of that (which of course, is supposed to be confidential info).

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    As a retired L.E.O. I would need more information. Age, LTCF, how many children on the bus? I could have a field day with charges on a case like this. Thats just for starters.
    See totality of my comments here.

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    You did not mention if the Individual is an employee of Bus Company or school district, that being said If Not I see several more than two criminal infractions 1) having a loaded firearm on school bus,2) Entering a School with a firearm and 3) subjecting the students to a dangerous environment. I highly recognize Resource Officers the job they do protecting all students Theirs is a Job that does not get enough praise.
    Not an employee. A random dude that managed to get onto a school bus (said he was a new student). At the school, his backpack was found to contain a loaded Glock handgun, some White Claws, and a vape pen. He's actually out on bail now.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    If an individual boards a school bus with other students, rides to a school, then enters the building, all while possessing a loaded handgun in a backpack ("lawful purpose" doesn't apply here), has the individual committed one offense, or two, based on the statutory language?
    Just to clarify gnbrotz, is this part of one continuous event? In essence, is there any break between any of these things?

(Philadelphia County)

Because I'm drawing from a real-word local event, and while the totality of the charges seems light to me, this is not a "good guy with a gun on school grounds" case.

Agreed, which is why I was surprised to see this person facing only a summary offense, and three misdemeanors, albeit an M1 for a single 912 violation.

The above is exactly what I would expect.

Age 23, and because there was no charge under 6106, I assume that prior to this incident, the person did hold a LTCF, though there has been no report of that (which of course, is supposed to be confidential info).

See totality of my comments here.

Not an employee. A random dude that managed to get onto a school bus (said he was a new student). At the school, his backpack was found to contain a loaded Glock handgun, some White Claws, and a vape pen. He's actually out on bail now.
    I wonder if our Founding Fathers would approve

(Northampton County)

None, it is an unconstitutional law that did not exist when the 2A was put in place. Just ask the SCOTUS about the Bruen decision.

The bus, the grounds the school....One continuous event. One charge. Three days of this, three events, three charges...

Oh, got it.
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    The bus, the grounds the school....One continuous event. One charge. Three days of this, three events, three charges...
    Pretty sure it would be three charges. I'd even bet on it.
    I bet 5.00 it's three. Any takers? Lets start a pot.
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I wonder if our Founding Fathers would approve
    A 23 year-old has no business being on a school bus. I would charge him with one count of reckless endangerment for every child on the bus. Twenty kids equals twenty misdemeanors.

§ 2705. Recklessly endangering another person.
    A person commits a misdemeanor of the second degree if he recklessly engages in conduct which places or may place another person in danger of death or serious bodily injury.

Whatever else they added in, and I am certain I could find a few more. I would also throw in a charge of impersonating a human being and mopery. Even if the judge threw out both charges.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast