Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cash on hand

Default Re: Cash on hand

Are Confederate dollars still viable ? Asking for a friend.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    It is a good way to go. Saved my ass a few times. I usually keep $100 there, but sometimes I spend and it is 2 $20s or a fifty.

I just verified. Today it's $100 (;

Recommend enough to fill your gas tank. The number of times I pull up to a pump and card machine is down is higher than I would like.

While you are at it, slip a label on there with your name and wife's phone number and email address. That way, if you lose your phone and it's found by a kind soul, they at least have a way to get it back to you.
    Those are great ideas I will.be doing this week. Thanks.

(Berks County)

i keep some cash on hand if needed but not as much as some. short term it makes sense for something like a natural disaster. i also keep extra gas at home because if you have no power in your area your not getting gas even with cash.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-five View Post
    Those are great ideas I will.be doing this week. Thanks.
    You are welcome (:

Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

I have $11K (denominations of $5’s to $100’s) in a hidden fireproof lock box. I also have quite a few Ben Franklin halves as well as some other silver coins. As I’ve said before, I pay cash for everything and only use a CC for gas, cell phone bill, and occasional on-line purchases. I keep my spending cash in a cigar box – currently +/- $1,400.00.

I mail checks for utilities, homeowner/truck insurance, and property taxes.

I have $12 trillion in Zimbabwean legal tender.

If it's TEOTWAWKI, it will be worth as much as the US dollar in about 6 months.

I like the goofs who think crytpo is a solid plan for after the infrastructure goes.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Delaware County)

I lost all my cash in a tragic boating accident.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Chester County)

You fools!
    I trust TPTB and the electronic banking unfrastructure to be there whenever I need it. Why would anyone need to have anything other than a credit and debit card?
    Jeesh some people!

(Bucks County)

From the WSJ. Entire article follows.

The Right Amount of Cash to Keep at Home for Emergencies. Hint: Not $480,000
    Credit cards and mobile apps won’t pay for much in a power outage

By Anne Tergesen and Jeremy Olshan
    Updated Sept. 26, 2023 11:40 am ET

So, just how much cash should people keep at home in case of an emergency?

When the question was put to more than a dozen advisers and disaster-preparation experts, the answers ranged from $200 to more than two weeks’ worth of expenses. Though it is personal-finance gospel to save an emergency fund of three to six months of expenses, advisers say money should be collecting interest, not dust at the back of your sock drawer.

There was some consensus: Few, if any, Americans need to stash anything near the $480,000 in cash investigators found in the home of Sen. Bob Menendez (D., N.J.), which he said was for emergencies.

Those who live in areas prone to hurricanes, wildfires, snowstorms and power outages might need to hold on to more cash than others, said Paul Auslander, a financial adviser based in Clearwater, Fla.

“Here in Florida, you tend to keep enough cash on hand to get through two to four weeks of no ATMs and electrical power failure sufficient to keep your credit card from working at a grocery store,” Auslander said.

How much cash will you need
    To prepare for a natural disaster or other emergency, the Department of Homeland Security tells Americans to stash water, food, flashlights and batteries at home. Cash is optional.

William Bernstein of Efficient Frontier Advisors, who wrote books on investing, disagrees.

“After a disaster damages your house or appliances, the repair person is likely to give priority to customers who can pay in cash,” he said.

John Ramey, founder of The Prepared site, which offers courses on emergency preparation, recommends people keep enough money on hand to survive for at least two weeks without cards and access to bank accounts, and to build up a stockpile from there.

“That means two weeks of hotel and food, or two weeks of rent,” he said.

People shouldn’t hoard cash at the expense of paying down debt and getting their finances in order, Ramey added.

How to protect your cash
    Though a few hundred dollars might be kept in a wallet or desk drawer, those storing thousands of dollars in cash should protect their money from theft, fire and flooding.

This typically means putting the money in plastic bags in a safe rated for fire resistance.

Ramey suggests applying a portfolio approach to securing one’s cash. “I wouldn’t want all my cash in one safe,” he said. “Have a safe, sure, but also something hidden in plain sight—a Barbasol can with a fake bottom or a decoy wallet.”

Keeping too much cash at home could raise the interest of thieves and authorities, said Joshua Escalante Troesh, a financial adviser in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.

“As the senator is finding out, when you have that large amount of money, there is a huge question about why you have that amount of money,” he said.

Aside from the risk of theft, stashing cash in a variety of places around the home can create the need for a treasure map of sorts, and some way to communicate the locations to friends or relatives.

“If you have cash lying around in different locations of your home, how do you keep track of all those amounts?” said Avani Ramnani, financial planner in New York City.

And depending on the nature of the disaster, cash might diminish in importance, said Ramey.

“In ‘The Walking Dead’ scenario, you are going to be trafficking beans, not gold bullion,” he said.

https://www.wsj.com/personal-finance...hare_permalink

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by wew3 View Post
    From the WSJ. Entire article follows.

The Right Amount of Cash to Keep at Home for Emergencies. Hint: Not $480,000
    Credit cards and mobile apps won*t pay for much in a power outage

By Anne Tergesen and Jeremy Olshan
    Updated Sept. 26, 2023 11:40 am ET

So, just how much cash should people keep at home in case of an emergency?

When the question was put to more than a dozen advisers and disaster-preparation experts, the answers ranged from $200 to more than two weeks* worth of expenses. Though it is personal-finance gospel to save an emergency fund of three to six months of expenses, advisers say money should be collecting interest, not dust at the back of your sock drawer.

There was some consensus: Few, if any, Americans need to stash anything near the $480,000 in cash investigators found in the home of Sen. Bob Menendez (D., N.J.), which he said was for emergencies.

Those who live in areas prone to hurricanes, wildfires, snowstorms and power outages might need to hold on to more cash than others, said Paul Auslander, a financial adviser based in Clearwater, Fla.

*Here in Florida, you tend to keep enough cash on hand to get through two to four weeks of no ATMs and electrical power failure sufficient to keep your credit card from working at a grocery store,* Auslander said.

How much cash will you need
    To prepare for a natural disaster or other emergency, the Department of Homeland Security tells Americans to stash water, food, flashlights and batteries at home. Cash is optional.

William Bernstein of Efficient Frontier Advisors, who wrote books on investing, disagrees.

*After a disaster damages your house or appliances, the repair person is likely to give priority to customers who can pay in cash,* he said.

John Ramey, founder of The Prepared site, which offers courses on emergency preparation, recommends people keep enough money on hand to survive for at least two weeks without cards and access to bank accounts, and to build up a stockpile from there.

*That means two weeks of hotel and food, or two weeks of rent,* he said.

People shouldn*t hoard cash at the expense of paying down debt and getting their finances in order, Ramey added.

How to protect your cash
    Though a few hundred dollars might be kept in a wallet or desk drawer, those storing thousands of dollars in cash should protect their money from theft, fire and flooding.

This typically means putting the money in plastic bags in a safe rated for fire resistance.

Ramey suggests applying a portfolio approach to securing one*s cash. *I wouldn*t want all my cash in one safe,* he said. *Have a safe, sure, but also something hidden in plain sight*a Barbasol can with a fake bottom or a decoy wallet.*

Keeping too much cash at home could raise the interest of thieves and authorities, said Joshua Escalante Troesh, a financial adviser in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.

*As the senator is finding out, when you have that large amount of money, there is a huge question about why you have that amount of money,* he said.

Aside from the risk of theft, stashing cash in a variety of places around the home can create the need for a treasure map of sorts, and some way to communicate the locations to friends or relatives.

*If you have cash lying around in different locations of your home, how do you keep track of all those amounts?* said Avani Ramnani, financial planner in New York City.

And depending on the nature of the disaster, cash might diminish in importance, said Ramey.

*In *The Walking Dead* scenario, you are going to be trafficking beans, not gold bullion,* he said.

https://www.wsj.com/personal-finance...hare_permalink
    I protect my cash at home with copper and lead .
    Today was a good day!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast