Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Cash on hand

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Cash on hand

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Well, FWIW, the poster did said he was looking to "invest", not prepare for a SHTF scenario.
    As the dollar bill becomes worthless paper, many different things will be considered "investments".
    The Hostler

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    As the dollar bill becomes worthless paper, many different things will be considered "investments".
    It will never become useless paper. You will always be able to pay your taxes with it.

Besides that, the dollar just isn't going to crash. Here's a reality check:

https://www.currencytransfer.com/blo...ollar-collapse

Summary: it's not gonna crash, certainly not in my lifetime.

(Franklin County)

It will never become useless paper. You will always be able to pay your taxes with it.

Besides that, the dollar just isn't going to crash. Here's a reality check:

https://www.currencytransfer.com/blo...ollar-collapse

Summary: it's not gonna crash, certainly not in my lifetime.
    Until you can't pay your taxes with it any more.
    Paper money is headed out the door. Everything is going electronic, I think we can agree on that.
    Maybe you've heard of the Euro? It replaced the sovereign currency for a few countries, making their currency worthless.
    The thing you say can never happen, has already happened, just not here yet. Electronic currency is just a step toward world currency.
    I'm wrong, it has happened here, in 1933 the government required people to turn in the widely used and excepted form of U.S. currency for an all new form. In one year the government said, everyone is to turn in their gold currency for paper currency or they will be jailed and fined. How could anyone think it couldn't ever happen here and now.
    If next month the feds said "the dollar will no longer be excepted as currency, turn it all in to your bank, you will all be issued the new North and South American shitola.
    Our government has been intentionally devaluing the dollar for years, that means every year, every day, the dollar is worth less compared to other world currency. It makes perfect sense that is something continues to be of less and less value, eventually no one will want it any more. That is already in progress around the world as more countries move away from the dollar standard.
    The Hostler

(Allegheny County)

It replaced the sovereign currency for a few countries, making their currency worthless.
    It didn't make it worthless. They could trade it in for euros.

The thing you say can never happen, has already happened, just not here yet.
    I didn't say it can never happen, I said it isn't happening here. I mean, people fuck supermodels. It won't ever happen in my house.

Electronic currency is just a step toward world currency.
    Yeah, I don't think so. Govt have little incentive to give up local currency because it removes the ability to control their own finances via fiscal policy, but it does happen with pissant countries that can't seem to manage their own affairs (and arguably should be absorbed by some other country that can). It's also why a gold standard isn't really viable anymore.

They DO have an incentive for OTHER nations to use their currency though, even if it is just to build reserves and hold debt. It's a good thing when other nations want your currency, regardless of why.

(Chester County)

Besides having US Federal Reserve notes on hand you're also going to need CCP Renminbi which in the near future will be the world's reserve currency. Renminbi is the official name of China's currency and it's divided into Yuan which many refer to when speaking about China's currency. Forget bothering with the EURO, that won't be a major factor in currency when the Renminbi becomes the reserve currency. US Federal Reserve notes will still be viable but currency is only as good as it is accepted by those providing goods and services.

I have a whole box full of currency that is worthless when Europe went to issuing the Euro, a big mistake for the people of Europe. I have Deutsche Marks, Lire, Pasetas, Francs, Krones (waddya know they're still good, .09:$1), I have British Pound Sterling notes too and they too are still in use but they aren't worth the exchange rate I paid for them in any of the times I got them.

The point being don't put all your eggs in one basket. Have some of everything so that you are covered in case of unexpected calamities.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Franklin County)

It didn't make it worthless. They could trade it in for euros.

I didn't say it can never happen, I said it isn't happening here. I mean, people fuck supermodels. It won't ever happen in my house.

Yeah, I don't think so. Govt have little incentive to give up local currency because it removes the ability to control their own finances via fiscal policy, but it does happen with pissant countries that can't seem to manage their own affairs (and arguably should be absorbed by some other country that can). It's also why a gold standard isn't really viable anymore.

They DO have an incentive for OTHER nations to use their currency though, even if it is just to build reserves and hold debt. It's a good thing when other nations want your currency, regardless of why.
    Ok. I understand your point of view, I just disagree with it.
    The Hostler

(Allegheny County)

Ok. I understand your point of view, I just disagree with it.
    Fair enough (;

Another interesting article on the topic:
    https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/dol...serve-currency
    Last edited by free; April 18th, 2024 at 04:54 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Besides having US Federal Reserve notes on hand you're also going to need CCP Renminbi which in the near future will be the world's reserve currency. Renminbi is the official name of China's currency and it's divided into Yuan which many refer to when speaking about China's currency. Forget bothering with the EURO, that won't be a major factor in currency when the Renminbi becomes the reserve currency. US Federal Reserve notes will still be viable but currency is only as good as it is accepted by those providing goods and services.

I have a whole box full of currency that is worthless when Europe went to issuing the Euro, a big mistake for the people of Europe. I have Deutsche Marks, Lire, Pasetas, Francs, Krones (waddya know they're still good, .09:$1), I have British Pound Sterling notes too and they too are still in use but they aren't worth the exchange rate I paid for them in any of the times I got them.

The point being don't put all your eggs in one basket. Have some of everything so that you are covered in case of unexpected calamities.
    I'm just curious what you think the "near" future is, with respect to your claim.

I have cash on hand.
    if it's a case of technology services are down for some reason, i'm certain CASH ONLY will work perfectly fine for several days to multiple weeks.
    I'm not very concerned with electronic transactions that aren't able to occur being an issue.
    now once we get beyond the point where gas stations can't get gas because tankers are only taking cash, and the same with grocery stores, well it'll be pretty froggy by then anyways, and cash won't be the problem.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    now once we get beyond the point where gas stations can't get gas because tankers are only taking cash, and the same with grocery stores...
    That will be a good time to get into the robbery business.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast