Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: PA -> NJ move, how to preserve the PA license to carry?

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Did you fall on your head? Moving to New Jersey? Seriously?
    lol. Spot on though. Most of our family is in NJ and we are near enough to go visit, help them with whatever they need, etc. If they need us close enough to run daily errands, etc. they can either move to the western border or come to PA. Literally nothing would ever get me to move to NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by boyanzhu View Post
    I live in PA, Northampton County and have PA license to carry.

I'll be moving to NJ soon for family reasons.

What can I do to keep my PA license to carry?

Thanks.
    In all seriousness, you're better off just giving up on carrying. Even if you carry, there's a long list of restrictions on what you can own/carry and there is a duty to retreat as well. If you end up shooting anyone for any reason in NJ, your life is probably over.

(2)*The use of deadly force is not justifiable under this section unless the actor reasonably believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death or serious bodily harm; *nor is it justifiable if:

(b)*The actor knows that he can avoid the necessity of using such force with complete safety by retreating or by surrendering possession of a thing to a person asserting a claim of right thereto or by complying with a demand that he abstain from any action which he has no duty to take
    Last edited by John_Wick; April 16th, 2024 at 03:18 PM.

OK. I am the inverse voice of experience on this topic. I am a NJ resident, and NJ is my state of domicile. I do not have a NJ Concealed Carry Permit. Since I own a house in PA that I periodically reside in, and do not rent out, I am also a PA resident. Consequently, I have a resident PA LTCF.

If you leave and no longer own a home in PA, you are no longer a PA resident. Therefore, your resident LTCF is no longer valid. Do not make a mistake and carry in PA expecting that to cover you once you have sold your house.

If you own a residence (apartment or home) in NJ, you can apply for a CCP. Note that in Murphy's new budget (if approved) the cost of doing that will be north of $400 in permit and qualification fees. Your CCP will be valid for TWO years. Then you will get to pay all over again.

Once you have a NJ CCP, you can then apply for a non-resident PA LTCF in a county where the sheriff will grant it. (Many do not.) Many from NJ have done this.

And if you do in fact move, take particular note of firearm restrictions in NJ. Specifically, if you own any firearms that are illegal in NJ. Reference www.njgunforums.com for help on this.

Good luck. Just be aware you're moving out of (sort of) Free America.
    "You gotta be alive to get paid."

(Northampton County)

Thanks for the informative and friendly advice.
    Last edited by boyanzhu; April 19th, 2024 at 09:02 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123