Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Appleseed project

I'm posting this in general, although it could very well be posted elsewhere...

I'm looking into the Appleseed Project. http://www.appleseedinfo.org/index.htm I see that there has been an event posted in PA next April. I'm considering attending that event, although I wish there was an event closer to SWPA.

Is there enough of an interest in the area, attention all you group shooters, to try to have an Appleseed event in the area? Due to scheduling, I'd imagine that late summer or fall, or even 2010 would be ideal. That is if it would even be possible to get enough of a turnout to warrant holding the event, or a range willing to host the event.

Has anyone here attended an Appleseed event? Thoughts?

(Venango County)

Default Re: Appleseed project

That sounds pretty cool, Lucas.....

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I'd be interested.

Any restrictions on rifles, or optics?

From their F.A.Q. page:
    What kind of rifle do I need? What kind of sights are allowed?
    Appleseed is content-free, so in regards to sights: you can use any. Rifles? Well, you can use any safe firearm which can be accurately shot from the shoulder, from a .22 to a .32 (8mm). We're semi-auto and bolt-gun friendly. The important thing is that it works, so before you come to a shoot make sure you clean it, break it in (if need be), and lube it properly in preparation for the day.

What caliber is best?
    In a nutshell: they all are. Appleseed is not caliber-specific. It doesn't matter to us if you use .308, .30-06, .223, 7.62x39, 8mm, .303 — they're all fine. Marksmanship and caliber are independent of each other. If you're a good marksman, you'll be able to hit with any caliber. So, if you have an AR-15 or SKS, please feel free to join us. And when you bring your kids (up to age 20 shoots free) .22 rimfire is fine.

Why military rifles?
    Because they're fast and easy to reload. But if you have a hunting rifle, that's great too. Just be sure to practice loading it fast!

Do I need a sling?
    Yes.

Can I use a bipod?
    No. We teach a basic driving class, so we want you to learn to drive stick shift — that means with a sling, not a bipod. We also encourage you to use iron sights, but optics are okay.

I've read on other forums that 10/22's with a sling and peep sights are a good choice for these events. Cheap ammo, and easily transferable to other rifles. I think I read that the average round count is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-400. Seems to me that a .22LR would make a good budget choice.

(Cambria County)

I'd be interested, I keep meaning to go to one and just never make it out. The one in April is actually pretty close to me now, I might just hit that one.
    Last edited by NineseveN; December 2nd, 2008 at 02:21 AM.

(Allegheny County)

SWPA you say?

Check this out. Open to the public. First Sunday of the month, every month.

http://www.pmsconline.com/facilities.../rifle/cmp.htm

Current fees are $5 for club member, $8 for non-member with own rifle and ammo.

Friendly atmosphere. This is actually a CMP practice shoot and not an actual competition. You have every skill level from fantastic to entry level shooting. You will find Group Shooters like Hawk, Roland, Koli, BearTitan, ShawnL, Lil'Buck has shot it, and EdStephen showes up when he can make down from his compound in the hills. We have had some others from this forum join us recently also.

We have the shooting but not the political indoctrination of the Appleseed Project. We have that here. So in my oppinion, instead of bringing some other group in from the outside, support a local club. (fees actually do not go that far to supporting club, but do help defray costs of cmp shoot)

We would love to see you guys come on out. We are one of the few clubs that shoot cmp throughout the entire year. The winter shoots, while cold are some of the most fun.

An oppurtunity for you Group Shooters to do some real shooting at PMSC.

See ya at the range
    koli
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Lackawanna County)

Smile Re: Appleseed project

I highly recommend Appleseed. I shot one this summer.

A few comments:

1. Appleseed is apolitical, everyone is invited and encouraged to attend.

2. It's an entire weekend of quality instruction, not just a few hours.

3. The range does benefit, range fees are common.

4. Appleseed is nonprofit, the instructors are all volunteers

Please contact me or B964, the PA coordinator, he's a member here too.

PS. I'm not sure how a telling of the history of April 19, 1775 would be considered "political indoctrination"

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Koli01 View Post
    SWPA you say?

Check this out. Open to the public. First Sunday of the month, every month.

http://www.pmsconline.com/facilities.../rifle/cmp.htm

Current fees are $5 for club member, $8 for non-member with own rifle and ammo.
    Very nice, I have a friend in Monroeville (he owns Gale Trailers on the Golden Mile Highway RT 286). He's into shooting and I bet he knows where your club is, maybe even shoots there. I've been looking to join a CMP team locally here but haven't found a truly active team out here in south central PA. Maybe I can talk my buddy into putting me up for the weekend and we'll both come check out the CMP practice shoot. I'd love to get more info and experience with the CMP program now that i have my M1 Garand from the CMP and my M1A from Springfield Armory:-)

We have the shooting but not the political indoctrination of the Appleseed Project. We have that here. So in my oppinion, instead of bringing some other group in from the outside, support a local club. (fees actually do not go that far to supporting club, but do help defray costs of cmp shoot)
    As far as Appleseed goes, No "political indoctrination", just a little history molded in to help a few people understand the efforts our forefathers went to and the sacrifices they made in order to secure our right to have events like this and clubs like PMSC. What's wrong with that. There's plenty of shooting and friend making even with the history lesson. I think CMP clubs and Appleseed could go hand in hand and have joint local mini events and both would gain from the experience of both groups.

You'd be surprised how many Appleseeders are here on the forum and locally in PA so we're not outsiders and are arranging large and small events all over PA in our local shoting clubs. This helps the clubs with new members, range fees, and good PR in the local news since Appleseed events do get press coverage. I bet a couple Rifleman could surely be assets to any CMP team in the area, and we'd love to have a few CMP competitors come out and join in the Appleseed fun.

We would love to see you guys come on out. We are one of the few clubs that shoot cmp throughout the entire year. The winter shoots, while cold are some of the most fun.
    Do you know of any good CMP teams from the central part of PA (Carlisle, Harrisburg, York area) that you could recommend from your experience in the program and from what you may have seen at the competitions? I'd like to find an active CMP team, maybe one that shoots all year long like yours, to get involved with here locally, but want to make sure I find the right fit for me.

Thanks and hope to make one of your Sunday shoots. Maybe see you at an Appleseed event ;-)

Mooney
    Dillsburg, PA
    http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Appleseed shoots can be set up and scheduled for just about anywhere.
    The minimum needs are a safe backstop 25 meters from the firing line, enough room for instructors to walk behind shooters, aprox 4 feet wide per shooter and a porta-jon.
    So if you are interested in having a shoot near you, your uncle Frank's back field may be just the ticket.
    Things to consider are how many people can the line hold and how many people are you going to get to attend. Once a shoot is set up it will be nationaly advertised in Shot Gun News, and many other areas.
    Like the new radio program
    http://www.blogtalkradio.com/AppleseedRadio
    and
    http://appleseedproject.blogspot.com/

Appleseed is different from other marksmanship courses because of the history mixed in.
    Not politics. History. Our history.
    Also because Appleseed attendees are encouraged to become invovled in the program, not just learn to shoot better, but learn to teach others to shoot better. Learn to teach others what it means to be American.

I am always available to help set up shoots.
    Send me a pm.
    http://appleseedshoot.blogspot.com/
    WWW.APPLESEEDINFO.ORG
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
    Thomas Paine

OK guys, looks like we got the answer to if it is possible, a resounding "yes".

Now we need somewhere to hold it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast