Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Question Unsure of what to build with complete lower. Looking for input...

I have a complete Geissele SD lower sitting around, but not sure what I want to build with it. I do know that the goal here will be lightweight. The goal will be to have it weigh about 5 lbs before accessories & can are added. It will just be a range toy.
    I'll likely swap some of the existing lower parts with lighter parts, but the receiver itself & trigger will stay. Well, maybe I will replace the trigger with a Larue MBT-2S I have in the parts bin and sell the SSA-E X Lightning bow lol.

It will be run suppressed full time. Kicking around the idea of finally diving into the world of low mass BCGs and adjustable gas blocks. I do know that will end up with a Fostec handguard on whatever I build.

I already have a 16" barrel AR, 10.5" SBR & 14.5" AR along with a 22LR rifle, 22LR pistol & AR9 pistol. I did think about doing 300 blackout, but not really wanting to add anymore calibers. Especially ones with expensive ammo. Outside of that, I have no clue what to build. I know I don't want to build a dupe of what I already have.
    Also, not interested in a fixed stock, barrel longer than 16" or carry handle

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Unsure of what to build with complete lower. Looking for input...

Wait for Geissele to do a sale and get a complete 10.3* or 11.5* URG-I upper. I have a complete Geissele 10.3* URGI I put together and it shoots great.
    Today was a good day!

(Northumberland County)

I vote 300BO. I consolidate my stuff every now and then and rarely keep a caliber I only have one gun in, but the 300BO is an exception...always survives my selling off. Just a lot of fun to shoot. Currently only running a Bear Creek upper, but thats likely to get swapped to something better once I get past my AR9 build.

The lower priced ammo is not that much more than 5.56 anymore (a little higher but not bad). A nice mix of higher quality ammo is available if you would ever want it for defensive use, and some good options for suppressed use too.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Wait for Geissele to do a sale and get a complete 10.3* or 11.5* URG-I upper. I have a complete Geissele 10.3* URGI I put together and it shoots great.
    THis was a complete SD rifle. Sold the upper because the goal is lightweight.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    I vote 300BO. I consolidate my stuff every now and then and rarely keep a caliber I only have one gun in, but the 300BO is an exception...always survives my selling off. Just a lot of fun to shoot. Currently only running a Bear Creek upper, but thats likely to get swapped to something better once I get past my AR9 build.

The lower priced ammo is not that much more than 5.56 anymore (a little higher but not bad). A nice mix of higher quality ammo is available if you would ever want it for defensive use, and some good options for suppressed use too.
    WHat are the best 300BO ammo options for suppressor use?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalSpeed View Post
    WHat are the best 300BO ammo options for suppressor use?
    220 grain subs. I built a 300 blackout upper but sold it. Like you I don*t want a bunch of different calibers and 300 blackout gets expensive to shoot. It was pretty quiet though if that*s your end goal.
    Today was a good day!

(Northumberland County)

Yeah 220 grains for staying quieter, and those are on the expensive end of things. The basic FMJs (supersonic) are fairly affordable though.

That caliber is actually part of why I'm looking at the YHM R9. Rated down to <8" barrel

(Allegheny County)

Yeah 220 grains for staying quieter, and those are on the expensive end of things. The basic FMJs (supersonic) are fairly affordable though.

That caliber is actually part of why I'm looking at the YHM R9. Rated down to <8" barrel
    I was getting 220 grain subs for .71 a rnd delivered, not that bad but not something I want to shoot a lot of at that price.

The R9 also rated for 5.56 and 308, think 16* for 5.56 and 20* for 308.
    Today was a good day!

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I was getting 220 grain subs for .71 a rnd delivered, not that bad but not something I want to shoot a lot of at that price.

The R9 also rated for 5.56 and 308, think 16* for 5.56 and 20* for 308.
    Pretty good price on the 220s actually.

Yeah that sounds right...knew it was rated for a few common calibers

(Lancaster County)

Appreciate the info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast