Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: AR-180

(Philadelphia County)

Default AR-180

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I have an opportunity to obtain an AR-180, and I was wondering if it's a decent rifle and what kind of price I should expect to pay. The gun is in Florida and I don't have any photos of it; it belongs to a friend of my uncle's.

I found a little bit about it via Google, but there isn't a whole lot of info out on it.

I can get it for $1000, and it includes a scope and mount, two mags (30 round, I assume) and a case.

I'm also told it has a folding stock - which, through research, all AR-180s seem to have - and a "short barrel". I couldn't find much info on the "short barrel".

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: AR-180

A new AR-180B lists for about $750. The standard barrel is 19.8" and the stock is fixed. The design of the AR-180 allows a folding stock to be mounted. The factory scope mount goes for $100.

So it sounds like you are being overcharged.

The AR-180B is a good service rifle. The biggest complaint I hear is the lack of aftermarket accessories.

Check that the receiver says Armalite. Vulcan Arms makes a knock-off called a V-18. These are not as valuable as an AR-180B, and I do not trust them. An AR-180 (original) has some compatibility problems, so magazines and replacement parts can be an issue.

As for short-barreled, anything under 16" is a Class III, NFA weapon. Add $200 tax stamp, lots of paperwork and a few months wait.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: AR-180

Quote Originally Posted by VeryPrivate View Post
    A new AR-180B lists for about $750. The standard barrel is 19.8" and the stock is fixed. The design of the AR-180 allows a folding stock to be mounted. The factory scope mount goes for $100.

So it sounds like you are being overcharged.

The AR-180B is a good service rifle. The biggest complaint I hear is the lack of aftermarket accessories.

Check that the receiver says Armalite. Vulcan Arms makes a knock-off called a V-18. These are not as valuable as an AR-180B, and I do not trust them. An AR-180 (original) has some compatibility problems, so magazines and replacement parts can be an issue.

As for short-barreled, anything under 16" is a Class III, NFA weapon. Add $200 tax stamp, lots of paperwork and a few months wait.
    Thanks for the reply.

I don't even think it's a new AR-180B...I think it's an original, "old" AR-180...the e-mail I got didn't say otherwise.

I think I agree with you on being overcharged, but I'm wondering what a scope would run. Even still, I don't know if the gun is worth $1k. My uncle says it's worth $1500, which seems kind of high to me.