Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7.62 question

(Allegheny County)

Default 7.62 question

Ok ... almost 99% of everything I read talks about how inaccurate 7.62 is. Is that because most of it is in conjunction with AKs or is it specific to the round?

Example ... everyone talks about how ARs w/ 5.56 are very accurate and AKs w/ 7.62 are not. Now I know that part of that is the platform and necessarily the round that they fire.

I've been thinking about this since this weekend. I saw an episode of Future weapons and they were talking about a new FN belt-fed MG chambered in 7.62. It was a new/upgraded version of the same MG cambered in 5.56. Mack said that the gun was accurate out to 800 meters ( I think ).

So does an AR chambered in 7.62 have similar accuracy as one chambered in 5.56?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Tioga County)

Default Re: 7.62 question

The 7.62 they are referring to is the 7.62X39 when fired from a Kalashnikov style rifle. It's the rifle that is the problem. Dr. Kalashnikov didn't design his assault rifle to be the most accurate. Rather, he designed for reliability. It is reliable.

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, I know that it's 7.62x39 ... I have a bunch of it for my AK.

So the round when fired from a better built (for accuracy) platform can be an accurate round?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Tioga County)

So I have heard. I have no first hand knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post

So the round when fired from a better built (for accuracy) platform can be an accurate round?

(Cumberland County)

in theory that sounds great.

But I have fired an AR that was chambered for the 7.62 round and it wasn't any more accurate. Please note that I am not insinuating that the round cannot be accurate... just that it may be more than just the AK style platform (maybe in all semi-auto rifle?)

Also, the SKS isn't any better than the AK, but I have seen one that shot a paintball off of a golf tee at 200 yards.

Maybe it is just the quality of the guns, since we can only really buy cheap knockoffs here in the states unless you want to spend your kids college tuition on one. and even then good luck finding one.

??? (staring into space, wondering and wondering)???

AK uses 7.62X39
    Does the new FN your talking about use 7.62x51 NATO round?
    There's a bit of difference.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post

I think he knows the difference. There really shouldn't be that many people who argue against the accuracy of the .308/7.62x51 round anyway.

(Cumberland County)

my bad. I think MR. BI is right. I didn't read the first post until now. That new MG does use the x51 round. My apologies sir

and to answer the OP question, an AR chambered in the 7.62x51 round would be much more accurate than the normal ARs (see AR-10 on google)

I think it has something to do with the design of the round itself, it's the same OAL as the 5.56 NATO/.223 yet uses a a bullet that weighs twice as much. The case diameter is not much bigger so obviously the bullet will not shoot as fast and as flat as the 5.56/.223.

Good ammo in a 7.62X39 bolt can be dead on. Good ammo in an SKS or AK goes bang every time. Remington has a 7.62X39 in a model 799 or 798 that is dead on if you use Remington or Winchester ammo or a good reload.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast