Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: 1911 for carry. a production or a custom model?

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    In before the glock.
    Lol, I won*t mention that. If a 1911 is your choice just make sure it*s reliable with whatever ammo you choose.
    Today was a good day!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I sure would hope you didn*t use a hi point, just mentioning hi point in any carry thread made me lol.
    I actually have two shields. The one I carry has an Apex trigger kit and tritium sights. The other one is unmolested and I've never fired it.

yes. go with an OTS 1911 but go 10mm
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

I carried a 1911 for many years. I love my 1911s, but they suck for EDC. They're big, they're heavy, and the capacity isn't great. There's a reason I carry a compact or subcompact gun. I can get more capacity and the same stopping power from a gun that weighs 1/2 to a 1/3 as much.

(Elk County)

My 1911s of choice are Dan Wessons. Yes, more $$$, but not in the Wilson Combat / Les Baer / Nighthawk Custom stratosphere.

I have them in 9mm, 38 Super, and 45ACP. Two of the three are bobtail Commander-sized. The trigger pull of every one falls between 3.9 and 4.1 lbs by my Lyman digital guage. The trigger breaks so cleanly that the sights do not go out of alignment, and the sights stay on target when the hammer falls. Consequently I hit consistently what I'm aiming at. These Dan Wesson 1911s print the smallest groups of most of the handguns I own, with the possible exception of a S&W Model 41, and a couple S&W 422/622 semi-auto 22s and a few SIG P210 / P220 / P228 pistols.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    I carry 1911 always! Most reliable gun ever made, won two World Wars, and several minor ones. Get one in the everyday variety, not a really expensive one with scary-looking grips and a red laser. Those things really don*t play well in front of a jury. Also, go with off the shelf ammo, and not the *Limb Ripper 6000* either. Get a good, reliable name brand ammo.
    1911s can be hit or miss with regards to reliability. Especially ones that have been "tuned". The tighter a 1911, the more finicky they get. Also, the advice about ammo isn't really a thing. Show me a case where someone lost solely on their ammo choice, and not due to other factors. A good lawyer will explain to a jury why the ammo you used was acceptable for the situation.

(York County)

If it's got to be a 1911 it's all about size and weight. For the money I would go with the Girsan MC1911 SC. Only 6+1 but small enough not to torture you for EDC. Built well & Reliability is very good. Price around $500.

(Cumberland County)

I*m a serious Glock guy and typically have a 42 in my back pocket. If the occasion warrants a heavier hitter the kimber ultra carry comes out. 8 rounder in the gun with a couple of spares doesn*t leave me lacking.

Some good advice in this thread. Self-defense shooting don't require being able to drive tacks at 100 yards, in fact if you shoot someone beyond 5 feet or so you will raise eyebrows.

Carry a gun that you'd be OK with the police seizing for a few years, because that happens, with or without a defense shooting.

Carry one that won't snag so easy.

No "Punisher" grips, no amusing barrel bushing that says "SMILE, WAIT FOR FLASH".

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    1911s can be hit or miss with regards to reliability. Especially ones that have been "tuned". The tighter a 1911, the more finicky they get. Also, the advice about ammo isn't really a thing. Show me a case where someone lost solely on their ammo choice, and not due to other factors. A good lawyer will explain to a jury why the ammo you used was acceptable for the situation.
    The Harold Fish self-defense shooting, used expanding 10mm rounds, a lady juror later explained on national TV that 'nobody carries ammo like that unless they want to kill someone'. He was convicted, appealed, the state had to change the law on self-defense burdens at trial to keep him from being re-tried.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Carry a gun that you'd be OK with the police seizing for a few years, because that happens, with or without a defense shooting.
    That's why I suggested not putting any more money into it than I had to (:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast