Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Quantity or quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    How 'bout quality at a value price?
    Plenty of that out there, that*s also where the used market comes into play.
    Today was a good day!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I'd rather have a $200 G19 clone right next to me wherever I am, than a $550 Glock OEM G19 3 rooms away.
    So would anyone else.
    Today was a good day!

(Washington County)

I started out buying cheap stuff as a poor college kid. Then as my income increased, I've bought better stuff. I still have some cheap stuff, but every year the percentage of my collection that is above average value and quality increases. I build a lot of the guns that I own, and my increasing skills also contribute to an increase in quality of those guns over time. My welds look better. My machining capabilities increased. Things that I used to spray paint I now parkerize. And so on.

I have always been someone who wanted to have 10 guns rather than 1,000 guns if the 10 guns met my needs and wants. I am a collector, but volume is not my concern. I like utility and variety over volume. I am fine having one Mosin, rather than an example of every variation in the Mosin family. I have seen people with gun collections which consist of a couple hundred hunting shotguns and rifles that have an average value of $400 each. I smile and say "very nice" but this type of collection doesn't appeal to me in any way.

I recently got into cartridge collecting, and my interest in variety has been a little problematic. Specializing when it comes to cartridge collecting is highly encouraged because if you collect everything, you will descend into madness chasing an infinte variety of items and losing track of what you have. Right now I document what I have with pictures and an attempt at a typed list, but I still find myself buying duplicates by mistake. Luckily the average small arms collectible cartridge at a show is $1-$5 so it isn't the end of the world.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Philadelphia County)

If my defensive needs have been met (CCW pistol, home defense pistol/carbine/shotgun, and SHTF rifle), then I would prioritize beautiful, interesting, and antique firearms.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I started out buying cheap stuff as a poor college kid. Then as my income increased, I've bought better stuff. I still have some cheap stuff, but every year the percentage of my collection that is above average value and quality increases. I build a lot of the guns that I own, and my increasing skills also contribute to an increase in quality of those guns over time. My welds look better. My machining capabilities increased. Things that I used to spray paint I now parkerize. And so on.

I have always been someone who wanted to have 10 guns rather than 1,000 guns if the 10 guns met my needs and wants. I am a collector, but volume is not my concern. I like utility and variety over volume. I am fine having one Mosin, rather than an example of every variation in the Mosin family. I have seen people with gun collections which consist of a couple hundred hunting shotguns and rifles that have an average value of $400 each. I smile and say "very nice" but this type of collection doesn't appeal to me in any way.

I recently got into cartridge collecting, and my interest in variety has been a little problematic. Specializing when it comes to cartridge collecting is highly encouraged because if you collect everything, you will descend into madness chasing an infinte variety of items and losing track of what you have. Right now I document what I have with pictures and an attempt at a typed list, but I still find myself buying duplicates by mistake. Luckily the average small arms collectible cartridge at a show is $1-$5 so it isn't the end of the world.
    Sounds logical. No sense in buying just because it*s cheap once you reach a certain point. I would much rather have one quality rifle over two cheaper ones, same goes for handguns, shotguns etc. I*m at the point now that I don*t buy something just because the price is right, unless it*s something worth much more than what I*m paying for it, and it will be a quality gun that will hold and increase value.
    Today was a good day!

(Berks County)

it varies on the purpose of the gun for me. i like some cheap things and may have duplicates of the same gun. i am also willing to spend more on something like a good hunting shotgun especially if i can push going cleanings cause its not fun.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    Quality > Quantity in my opinion. I look at guns and gun accessories as assets so I don't feel bad about spending more for higher quality. I figure if I ever wanted to sell something down the road higher quality will hold more value compared to cheap guns that aren't going to be nearly as desirable.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with cheaper guns as long as they go bang. I just feel like you're losing in the long run in terms of long term value.
    Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I look at things the same way, down the road if I decide to sell or if something happens to make values skyrocket, I*ve seen it happen before where certain guns go through the roof during troubled times.

Like you nothing wrong with some cheaper stuff, I have plenty also but when it comes to certain things I*ll spend the money on better quality.
    Just me personally, I only sell guns if I get into a pinch. I tend to collect more than I shoot, not so much for monetary investments, more so for fulfilling a desire. Some people collect knick knacks, tennis shoes, or other trinkets - I collect things that go bang. lol

Now, if I were to win the Powerball - there is a good chance I'd have Holland & Holland, or Merkel, or some other expensive double rifle or SxS shotgun made of me. But until then, a Saturday Night Special/Ring-of-Fire piece will make me smile and give me a small dopamine fix without buyers remorse.

There are times I'll buy a cheap "project gun" with the intent to have a winter project to work on. ...something really cheap needing parts, refinishing, stocks made, etc. Now, getting around to doing such projects is another story. lol My Iver Johnson 55A .22 revolver I bought 15yrs ago is still waiting its turn.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I'd rather have a $200 G19 clone right next to me wherever I am, than a $550 Glock OEM G19 3 rooms away.
    Likewise, I've always preferred to have two sixguns rather than six twoguns.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Glocks,Taurus,Rugers,and del-Tons.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post

That hobby can get expensive.

We have a family friend that collects cartridges. He's spent $500 on single cartridges. He has a 15'x15' area of his basement with cabinets, stands, and display cases of such. I know he's gotten a number of them on the cheap, but there has to be plenty he forked out more than what you can buy a couple guns for. He's got some really weird shit like some triple necked cartridges.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast