Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: Is it Legal to store other people's firearms in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by Bartthedog View Post
    I am looking at the firearms on Saturday for the first time so I am not sure if the items are in an FFL book or are personal firearms. Potential NFA items are a concern but I have no idea if this will come into play. I have confidence in identifying the NFA items and will not take possession of them.
    If there are NFA items, especially transferrable MG's, please get multiple quotes for the wife. We once did an appraisal for a wife for the deceased husband and another gun shop offered her $5,500 for the entire collection that included NFA items. We got the job to sell them on consignment and ended up writing her a check for nearly $50k after our 10% commission. Not saying your LGS would do this, but just same, get multiple quotes.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

If the guy has an FFL I would avoid getting involved in anything related to his firearms. If something is up with his books or the feds have questions about any of his guns guess where they end up? They talk to the wife and she says she gave them to you to store now it's your problem.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    If there are NFA items, especially transferrable MG's, please get multiple quotes for the wife. We once did an appraisal for a wife for the deceased husband and another gun shop offered her $5,500 for the entire collection that included NFA items. We got the job to sell them on consignment and ended up writing her a check for nearly $50k after our 10% commission. Not saying your LGS would do this, but just same, get multiple quotes.
    Thanks!
    I totally agree. I don't know if the LGS is a class 3 dealer or not. I'm pretty sure they put the firearms on Gunbroker and take a % cut of the sale. They also sell used guns in their store.
    But I agree the internet is your friend in this case and the market for MGs will always be good because of the 1986 FOPA froze the inventory of MGs in our country. FOPA. ..... now that's a terrible name for that bill!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    If the guy has an FFL I would avoid getting involved in anything related to his firearms. If something is up with his books or the feds have questions about any of his guns guess where they end up? They talk to the wife and she says she gave them to you to store now it's your problem.
    Thanks.
    Yes, initially I told my wife that I would be happy to inventory them, maybe determine approximate value of each item for her and direct her to a good FFL to sell them for her.
    I did not know about him having an FFL or a request to store them until last week. She has not asked me directly to store them but I think that may come up this Saturday.
    Unfortunately this is probably a sensitive subject to her husband and he is hard to communicate with because his speech is affected. He is a nice guy and this is a sad situation. His wife needs to sell their house unfortunately.
    But you are correct and I don't want any potential visits.

(Bucks County)

The founders tried to save us from these problems, but we have outsmarted them.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartthedog View Post
    Thanks.
    Yes, initially I told my wife that I would be happy to inventory them, maybe determine approximate value of each item for her and direct her to a good FFL to sell them for her.
    I did not know about him having an FFL or a request to store them until last week. She has not asked me directly to store them but I think that may come up this Saturday.
    Unfortunately this is probably a sensitive subject to her husband and he is hard to communicate with because his speech is affected. He is a nice guy and this is a sad situation. His wife needs to sell their house unfortunately.
    But you are correct and I don't want any potential visits.
    Yeah that sucks, I'd feel differently if it wasn't for him being an FFL. My concern there would be if he happens to have guns that are owned by the FFL mixed with his personal collection.

If you assume possession of a gun owned by the FFL without doing the right transfer or a background check I'd imagine you're both violating some law. No clue, not a lawyer but just a educated guess.

(Washington County)

Once you get some more information about the situation, if things are still unclear, you can reach out to your local ATF office and ask for information. I've spent hours on the phone with the PGH ATF office recently asking questions (mostly regarding licensing and destructive devices). My experience has been A+. They have been nothing but helpful and informative, answering my questions and talking me through some different scenarios, explaining how to stay legal and accomplish what I want to do. I would even say the person I've been in contact with has gone above and beyond to get me answers to complex questions. I know some will say never talk to the ATF, but they have the same goal that you do in this situation. That is to make sure any firearms owned by this guy or his FFL are properly transferred and stored.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    The founders tried to save us from these problems, but we have outsmarted them.
    Agreed.
    The average quality of our political leaders is poor in comparison to the founders and it's frightening that these people pull at the loose threads of our Constitution .....

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    Yeah that sucks, I'd feel differently if it wasn't for him being an FFL. My concern there would be if he happens to have guns that are owned by the FFL mixed with his personal collection.

If you assume possession of a gun owned by the FFL without doing the right transfer or a background check I'd imagine you're both violating some law. No clue, not a lawyer but just a educated guess.
    Yes.
    The mixing of the inventories is my big concern.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    Once you get some more information about the situation, if things are still unclear, you can reach out to your local ATF office and ask for information. I've spent hours on the phone with the PGH ATF office recently asking questions (mostly regarding licensing and destructive devices). My experience has been A+. They have been nothing but helpful and informative, answering my questions and talking me through some different scenarios, explaining how to stay legal and accomplish what I want to do. I would even say the person I've been in contact with has gone above and beyond to get me answers to complex questions. I know some will say never talk to the ATF, but they have the same goal that you do in this situation. That is to make sure any firearms owned by this guy or his FFL are properly transferred and stored.
    Until they deny telling you what they told you...seen it happen too many times. Although you contend you contacted them about the issue(s) to ensure your compliance and produce the phone records showing call(s) of substantial length, the IOI will have amnesia and say they don't remember what they discussed with you. And then, next you know, because such is not currently ATF's policy or at least that division's policy, you no longer have an FFL or are being prosecuted for your allegedly unlawful conduct. If it isn't in writing, it didn't happen.
    Joshua Prince, Esq. - Firearms Industry Consulting Group - www.PaFirearmsLawyer.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast