Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Clinton choosen as Secretary of State

Obama announces Clinton, Gates for Cabinet
    Monday, December 1, 2008 10:56 AM EST
    The Associated Press
    By LIZ SIDOTI Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO (AP) — President-elect Barack Obama announced Monday that Robert Gates would remain as defense secretary, making President Bush's Pentagon chief his own as he seeks to wind down the U.S. role in Iraq. Obama picked former campaign rival Hillary Rodham Clinton as secretary of state.

At a news conference, Obama also introduced retired Marine Gen. James Jones as White House national security adviser, former Justice Department official Eric Holder as attorney general and Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano as secretary of homeland security.

The announcements rounded out the top tier of the team that will advise the incoming chief executive on foreign and national security issues in an era marked by wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and terrorism around the globe.

"The time has come for a new beginning, a new dawn of American leadership to overcome the challenges of the 21st century," Obama said as his Cabinet picks stood behind him on a flag-draped stage.

"We will strengthen our capacity to defeat our enemies and support our friends. We will renew old alliances and forge new and enduring partnerships."

Obama said his appointees "share my pragmatism about the use of power, and my sense of purpose about America's role as a leader in the world."

Gates' presence in Chicago made him a visible symbol of the transition in power from the Bush administration to one headed by Obama.

The president-elect, reprising a campaign vow, said he would give the military a new mission as soon as he takes office: "responsibly ending the war in Iraq through a successful transtion to Iraqi control." He did not mention his oft-repeated pledge to withdraw most U.S. combat trooops within 16 months.

Obama also appointed campaign foreign policy aide Susan Rice as his ambassador to the United Nations. Obama said he would make her a member of the Cabinet, an increase in stature from the Bush era.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Clinton choosen as Secretary of State

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! !!!!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Monroe County)

So let me get this straight - he kept the same guy in charge of the pentagon who was there before? Like the guy responsible for the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq?

Wow thats a huge surprise.

Hooray for CHANGE!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lebanon County)

Why do I have the bad feeling that Renew old alliances = U.N.?

Joe Biden+ Hilary Clinton = change

lmao

that's called bidness as usual. idiots (those that voted for him that is)
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

(Bradford County)

Isn't it illegal according to the Constitution for a elected official to leave office for a higher paying non-elected position? Oh well who goes by the constitution any more? Bush said it was just a piece of paper and the voters elected a non citizen. I guess nobody cares!

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Thorne View Post
    Isn't it illegal according to the Constitution for a elected official to leave office for a higher paying non-elected position? Oh well who goes by the constitution any more? Bush said it was just a piece of paper and the voters elected a non citizen. I guess nobody cares!
    IIRC the illegality is because she was a member of Congress when a payraise was authorized for the Sec of State job.

But as far as Hillary getting the job goes consider this: She serves at Barack's pleasure, so suppose after a year or two on the job he decides she's not cutting it and fires her. She can't go back to the Senate without being elected (again) and she's two years away from running for President again and this time she has no government position to pay the bills with, she's just a private citizen. Talk about payback!

(Bucks County)

I'm actually taken comfort by almost every nomination so far. Could do without the Sec of State and AG but overall he is picking seasoned veterans instead of radical left wing nuts.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    IIRC the illegality is because she was a member of Congress when a payraise was authorized for the Sec of State job.

But as far as Hillary getting the job goes consider this: She serves at Barack's pleasure, so suppose after a year or two on the job he decides she's not cutting it and fires her. She can't go back to the Senate without being elected (again) and she's two years away from running for President again and this time she has no government position to pay the bills with, she's just a private citizen. Talk about payback!
    lol a conspiracy under every mattress He picked her because he like all of them has one eye on politics. And make no mistake, every single one of them can make tons more cash out of office than in. Its about power not riches.

(Chester County)

I thought his big blue sign said CHANGE. Looks like more of the same old garbage to me. I have had it with all of them, all they all do is lie, lie, lie and lie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast