Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Can I buy dinner and drinks to teach me about 3d printing Glock lowers?

I have an old Glock 21 gen 2 id like to make a railed lower for so I can mount in a MCK frame just to make it usable again.

I figure a printer frame is best bet.

No idea where to start. Who's got the know how?!

Appreciate it!
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Can I buy dinner and drinks to teach me about 3d printing Glock lowers?

Just get another g21 kit if you want to do that, no sense ditching a gen-2 lower just to use the parts on a frame you printed.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Can I buy dinner and drinks to teach me about 3d printing Glock lowers?

Not going to ditch it. Just use parts and keep the frame in the safe. At least the old girl will get some use.
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

3d printed frames are far from perfect, they take hours, multiple tries to get the ideal settings, and file finishing to make hte fit right. THis isn't something you pick up and do any more than you would metalworking, woodworking, or gunsmithing. 3d printing takes a lot of time and effort to get right. It's not as the left would you have you think. And 3d printers are expensive, especially good ones.
    iAnal

(Berks County)

Defense distributed has what you're looking for.

https://defcad.com/library/9d3b3e22-...-9ab8b4d84194/
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    3d printed frames are far from perfect, they take hours, multiple tries to get the ideal settings, and file finishing to make hte fit right. THis isn't something you pick up and do any more than you would metalworking, woodworking, or gunsmithing. 3d printing takes a lot of time and effort to get right. It's not as the left would you have you think. And 3d printers are expensive, especially good ones.
    Spot on. The general public thinks 3D printing can do just about anything with little work. Same for CNC machining.

Number One: You need a valid model of what you want to produce. That can take hours for a even a skilled designer, with adequate software, depending on the part complexity.

(Jefferson County)

It took my son 3 tries to get a "correct" Glock receiver to form. Each time it printed for over a day. He had some deformities because of temperature, speed, and print angle settings. His best results were by printing it upside-down(side down/magwell up).

Then you need to trim all the flashing(lack of a better word) off of it, including inside. You also need to clear out the holes and such, some of which like the mag release need a file to properly fit the release button.

The last time he made one he said "I should probably get impregnated media" for durability. I asked him what that means, he said "It has fiberglass or something in it to make it stronger".

The one he made me it took me a couple days to trim, fit, etc. Needle nose pliers to pull flashing out of small places, the xacto knives making the finer cuts.

They certainly aren't "Print & Go".
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I have never made a 3d printed gun, but i have printed a few lowers. I wanted to see just how easy and practical it is, if what hte media was telling me was true. It was not. I have some pretty clean ones, but every one needs trimming and cleaning, and I'm not sure I would trust one to not explode, although I've taken hammers to them and they do seem solid.
    iAnal

(Blair County)

Trinkets and do-dads seem to be print and go.

Anything that has specific tolerances can and will likely need some work. The amount of tweaking I've had to do for PLA makes me wonder how bad it will be with the more expensive filament.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Lackawanna County)

It’s all printer dependent. I can crank out a stellar frame in 8 hours or less in my Bambu labs x1c. My ender would have taken closer to 30 hours and needed some massaging. You won’t be as durable as a Glock frame either. The jury is still out on the carbon fiber filaments. But again. Printer dependent not all can print that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast