Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Your preferred gun lube ?

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    "Test" videos like this one lose any credibility with me when they don't use standardized methods and practices. This guy uses a pipette to drop an inconsistent mass of oil on each test panel, then smears the oil around on the panel with his finger, no gloves. What the actual fuck? This is the best way to introduce inconsistency and variation into the test method, invalidating the test results.

Proper methodology would use a graduated pipette with consistent volume of product each time applied to the top of a panel, then distributed to a uniform thickness on the panel with a drawdown bar, which itself is solvent-cleaned and dried each time between product application. Further, a minimum of three replicate panels per test product is a must, and five would be better.

And a trigger spray bottle of salt water, probably using iodized table salt? Let's introduce even more variation, mmmkay?

Don't get me started . . .

Noah
    While I do understand where you*re coming from with your statements let also not go down the rabbit hole and forget. It*s just lubing a gun. Our forefathers used bear fat and our grandfathers used hoppes9 and any oil they had and nothing has turned to dust with those methods. Don*t get caught up in it all pick a product or several and use em they all work except slip2000. Happy taco Tuesday!!!

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    While I do understand where you*re coming from with your statements let also not go down the rabbit hole and forget. It*s just lubing a gun. Our forefathers used bear fat and our grandfathers used hoppes9 and any oil they had and nothing has turned to dust with those methods. Don*t get caught up in it all pick a product or several and use em they all work except slip2000. Happy taco Tuesday!!!
    Point taken; "It's gun oil." It's better to use something regularly than nothing ever.

My rant is directed at a larger problem - the ocean of Interwebz information in which we are drowning; specifically the poor, unfounded, or outright false information that abounds yet people take as gospel. I'll admit is a pet peeve. Anyone with a digital video camera or cell phone and an agenda can do it, without the truth getting in the way of a good story. This Project Farm video is but one example of how the wrong conclusions can get drawn based on invalid methodology.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

I hear ya Noah and agree 100%. I try to take it all with a grain of salt and keep it moving. But I*m no expert nor do I play one on tv so I*m just happy I can eat tacos today

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebuckets View Post
    And another project farm video.

That is not a Project Farm video.

I use CorrosionX (thanks Noah), Hoppes #9, and Eezox for most cleaning/lube. I hate the smell of Ballistol, so I won't use it no matter how well it works. Most of the time I shoot my guns until they're so dirty that they start to malfunction. I watch the round count to get an idea of how long it takes for them to stop working. Then I tear them apart and clean and lube them, and then keep track of the round count. I like to joke about not cleaning my guns, but I do clean my carry guns more frequently.

I like corrosionx been using it for a few years. I wanna like ballistol cause it does a good job but the smell is bad and I always choke when I use it. Eezox I won*t touch it smells like the big white mint in the men*s bathroom

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    Synthetic non-detergent air compressor oil.

Me and a couple guys have been using it on everything from bolt action rifles to suppressed ARs to belt fed machine guns for a couple years now. Excellent results. Originally this idea came from a lubrication engineer at the local nuke power plant who is a gun guy. He said in terms of additives it is the same thing in a bottle of Lucus or Amsoil gun oil.

I tried motor oil. The detergent properties are a no-go. Gums up fast on something like a suppressed AR.
    Detergents are for systems that have filters. Obviously guns don't.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

Olfactories bad, Ballistol therefor good. Super Lube grease. 5-30 synthetic engine oil. K-Y Jelly.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Montgomery County)

I think tons of them work fine, including CLPs but I've settled on a separate cleaner and lube just because some of my guns are pretty expensive. I don't need the convenience of CLP, so why not?

M-Pro 7 cleaner because it's non-toxic, but cleans WAY better than Ballistol. Owned by Hoppes, by the way.

Wilson Ultima Lube, both the Universal (thicker) and Oil (standard weight- they make lite oil and a grease, I think, but I use only Universal and Oil.

Very happy with these.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    Synthetic non-detergent air compressor oil.

Me and a couple guys have been using it on everything from bolt action rifles to suppressed ARs to belt fed machine guns for a couple years now. Excellent results. Originally this idea came from a lubrication engineer at the local nuke power plant who is a gun guy. He said in terms of additives it is the same thing in a bottle of Lucus or Amsoil gun oil.

I tried motor oil. The detergent properties are a no-go. Gums up fast on something like a suppressed AR.
    Any favorite brands or all they all the same?

What do people use for applicators for oils / bore cleaners? There are a lot of cheap squeeze bottles with a needle applicator on Amazon but I am sure they will melt with a bore cleaner. There are even expensive ones from gun oil companies but I still don't know if they will be good for Eds red with acetone.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast