Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Your preferred gun lube ?

A few years ago, I swore I'd never post in another of these threads!

I had a collection of any old stuff, BreakFree CLP, Hoppes, Clenzoil, some Slip200 stuff. Basically I did not care, felt they all did the same thing. And for the most part they did, sort of. I favored CLP for simplicity.

But I've changed my mind. I'm older and favor non-toxic stuff if I can get it, but Ballistol just didn't cut it for me. Non-toxic, yes, but not ideal for either cleaning or lubrication. Like many of us here, I have some expensive guns. I wouldn't care what I used on a Glock.

Recently, I've gone to a cleaner then lubricant, two products, in other words. I've settled on MPro-7 gun cleaner because it is, hands down, the best cleaner I've ever used, but non-toxic. It's owned by the Hoppes company, I believe, but I love it, and I think it cleans better than Hoppes 9.

For lube, I went with Wilson Combat Ultima lube. Is it the best there is? I suspect not. It looks and feels a lot like ATF fluid. But is it slicker than greased owl snot. I use the Universal (thicker consistency, stays put) and the Oil (regular--they have a light oil for cold weather, but I don't live in Alaska, and I think they make a grease, but I don't feel the need for that). I have both the Universal and the Oil. But if I were to standardize on one, it would be the Ultima Oil.

I can go to my grave using just MPro-7 cleaner and Wilson Combat Ultima Oil, and that's it. Not saying there's not better stuff out there, but I'd rather waste time thinking about other nonsense. I gave all my BreakFree, Clenzoil, and Slip products away. I only own and use MPro-7 and the WC Ultima universal and oil.

YMMV and I don't feel strongly I have found the Holy Grail or anything. Not proselytizing. I like my choices, though. Oh, I do use Lubriplate on my M1 and the BCG on my ARs.

(Washington County)

Synthetic non-detergent air compressor oil.

Me and a couple guys have been using it on everything from bolt action rifles to suppressed ARs to belt fed machine guns for a couple years now. Excellent results. Originally this idea came from a lubrication engineer at the local nuke power plant who is a gun guy. He said in terms of additives it is the same thing in a bottle of Lucus or Amsoil gun oil.

I tried motor oil. The detergent properties are a no-go. Gums up fast on something like a suppressed AR.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pag23 View Post
    I have it but don't use it in cold weather...I put it in my older P series Sig and it was a bit gummy at the outdoor range.
    You're the first person I've heard that experienced that. I've been using it for about 20 or more years. Sigs used to come with a sample of it. I have many older Sigs and that's all I use. On striker fired guns I don't believe it makes a bit difference what lube you use.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Chester County)

Amzoil products can't be beat.

https://www.amazon.com/Militec-1-8-O...0156061&sr=8-3

The lube depends on what gun and what it’s doing. For all my safe sitters I will lube with Militec-1. It’s a thick lube and I put it on heavy. I normally clean my safe sitters every 3-5 years or just wipe down the surface area and run a patch inside barrel with this lube.

My EDC I use whatever is closest to me at the time which is a plethora of lubes or 3-in-1. Since I clean my EDC more often I’m not as picky.

And if I’m hunting or along gun has been out in the woods. I will spray some rem-oil down the barrel and do a surface wipe with it. That’s just lazy way of protecting the surfaces. But when it goes back for long term storage it gets the Militec-1.
    ΑΣΦ

(Montgomery County)

I use Vactra 2. (Lathe way lube)

No clue how it performs in cold weather.

Pag23 the reason it got gummy is your not applying it correctly. It should be rubbed in so it is not visible at all not much is needed for the application. On the rails run it in with a q-tip the rest just use your fingers.

Something that always puzzled me is refusing to buy *gun lube* cause of the price. Guns cost $500-2000 on an average firearm that isn*t custom built. Ammo at this point is $300-500 per 1000 for range ammo. Rust and corrosion will cost you more than both of those things put together but then we*re trying to spend $.50 for some for of concoction to protect our investments. A 4oz bottle of clp is $15 or less and will last you at least a year. I have a 16oz bottle I bought 8 years ago and am still using it and paid $21 at Enck*s gun barn.

Just get a bottle of whatever off Amazon or Walmarts shelf and use it you can*t go wrong. Other than slip2000 that stuff is shit. It does not protect and will emulsify with water if it rains and yes that really happened. I personally use radcolube and bought a gallon for $90 delivered and I highly doubt I use it all before I die.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Weapon shield.
    Same here. Both the oil and the grease for applications requiring a low-viscosity grease, and Ponsness-Warren STOS grease for parts requiring high-viscosity grease, and only because I inherited like 12 jars of it.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Ive used only G96 products the past 40+ years and never looked back. Their *CRUD-BUSTER* is polymer safe, *GUN TREATMENT* is overall fantastic and it SMELLS Great! Also try their Mil-Spec synthetic gun oil*its top notch IMO.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebuckets View Post
    And another project farm video.

"Test" videos like this one lose any credibility with me when they don't use standardized methods and practices. This guy uses a pipette to drop an inconsistent mass of oil on each test panel, then smears the oil around on the panel with his finger, no gloves. What the actual fuck? This is the best way to introduce inconsistency and variation into the test method, invalidating the test results.

Proper methodology would use a graduated pipette with consistent volume of product each time applied to the top of a panel, then distributed to a uniform thickness on the panel with a drawdown bar, which itself is solvent-cleaned and dried each time between product application. Further, a minimum of three replicate panels per test product is a must, and five would be better.

And a trigger spray bottle of salt water, probably using iodized table salt? Let's introduce even more variation, mmmkay?

Don't get me started . . .

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast