Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: AR Uppers Question

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I remain a fan of prism scopes, sort of the best of both worlds between a red dot and magnified optic.
    I'm leaning heavily towards a prism type red dot. Low magnification, even 4x is higher than I want. 1x or 2x is kinda where I want to be.

If I need to tap something at a distance I have a .270Win and .308Win deer rifles with 3x9's, and a .223 varmint rifle with a 4x18(might be 4x12).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Primary Arms has some decent prism options.
    Their products rotate on sale often, so if you see something that looks good, just wait until it's on sale
    https://www.primaryarms.com/rifle-sc...ne/prism-scope

Also, on the even lower budget end, Monstrum Tactical offers one or two prism optics.
    I picked up their Ghost Red Dot and 3x Magnifier last year for a Black Friday type price of $100 or so for the set.

Here's their PRISM red dots. They also have a "Closeouts" section and "Open Box" stuff under "Deals".
    I cam "this close" to buying one of the Blackbird prism optics.
    Lots of YouTube reviews - mostly favorable for budget optics.
    https://monstrumtactical.com/prism-scopes/

I can't comment on long term use, but the quality is way better than I expected, and the red dot is super crisp.
    Here's the one I got. It's probably no longer available because a "shake awake" version was released at the time I bought my "version 1".
    (NOT a prism optic)

https://monstrumtactical.com/1x20-gh...magnifier-set/

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Primary Arms has some decent prism options.
    Their products rotate on sale often, so if you see something that looks good, just wait until it's on sale
    https://www.primaryarms.com/rifle-sc...ne/prism-scope

Also, on the even lower budget end, Monstrum Tactical offers one or two prism optics.
    I picked up their Ghost Red Dot and 3x Magnifier last year for a Black Friday type price of $100 or so for the set.

Here's their PRISM red dots. They also have a "Closeouts" section and "Open Box" stuff under "Deals".
    I cam "this close" to buying one of the Blackbird prism optics.
    Lots of YouTube reviews - mostly favorable for budget optics.
    https://monstrumtactical.com/prism-scopes/

I can't comment on long term use, but the quality is way better than I expected, and the red dot is super crisp.
    Here's the one I got. It's probably no longer available because a "shake awake" version was released at the time I bought my "version 1".
    (NOT a prism optic)

https://monstrumtactical.com/1x20-gh...magnifier-set/

Do you get any weird reflections when using that magnifier to "enhance" the red dot?
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Clearfield County)

Midway also has a 1X Burris prism scope for $130. No experience with the 1x, but I bought two of the 3x's when PSA had them dirt cheap and I love those things.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1008722764?pid=856437

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Do you get any weird reflections when using that magnifier to "enhance" the red dot?
    Don't think so.
    It does accentuate my astigmatism a bit though - the dot looks more like a slanted dash when magnified.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

I agree with EM in finding great deals from Primary Arms.

I’m not running any prisms at the moment, but I’ve recently got a few of their red dots for various ARs.

The China made dots from Holosun are pretty fantastic for the price. I’ve got a green 503cu with solar on a shorty SA Saint Victor that has held up to a few years of daily backpack abuse without issue. I trust it.

For my go-to 12.5” BCM battle stick, I did opt for a Vortex LPVO for PID though.

(York County)

+1 on the Primary Arms prisms. I have a 1x and keep thinking about getting a 3x as well. Swampfox optics is another to look at. Their Raider 1x prism looks pretty good with good reviews as well. They have come a long way and are probably close to Primary Arms. I have 3 of their pistol red dots.

https://www.swampfoxoptics.com/raider-1x20-micro-prism
    Live Free or Die! FJB!!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The YHM used a proprietary barrel nut for their handguards. And that tool broke during install. I can get an entire upper including barrel, handguard, BCG, dust cover, etc, etc, etc for under $250.

The YHM tool just to get the old nut off is $45+shipping, plus new oem barrel nut(and possibly delta ring assembly), then add a new MLOK handguard, gas block, etc, and time/labor to get shit done is more. ....pull out 2 pins in 10 seconds of work, toss old aside, mount new, push in two pins - done.

YHM's pins on the tool at this link broke the fuck off during install while indexing barrel nut - https://yhm.net/accessories/ar-15-ha...orearm-wrench/

I'm not buying their shit again ever.
    That doesn't look proprietary. Maybe a tad long. Drill bit shanks for replacement. I made my 1st wrench back before it became a fad to put ARs together. I still have it. It's still works. That can be fixed.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    That doesn't look proprietary. Maybe a tad long. Drill bit shanks for replacement. I made my 1st wrench back before it became a fad to put ARs together. I still have it. It's still works. That can be fixed.
    The tool I bought from YHM when I bought their quad rail kit(barrel nut w/quad rail handguard) had I think 3 or 4 pins. 2 or 3 of the pins broke off when the guy I had working on it tried clocking the barrel nut for the gas tube with closest appropriate torque on the nut. Their barrel nut for the the handguard I bought is not an OEM style nut.

Just like the He-Man torqued original OEM style from Stag, it will get cut with a dremel and split before I spend another $1 bill on it. There is a high chance it will just sit in my gun closet to be inherited by the kid's kids, whenever he has some. I already have my new upper attached to my Stag bottom. Now just trying to figure out what I'm doing exactly for optics. Budget factors in heavily since my AR is just there for SHTF - it'll probably get sighted in then pushed to the rear of the closet to be never fired again. lol ...since no one wants to start 1776 v.2. Seriously, I'm waaaaay more into single shots, lever guns, and janky off-brand old revolvers.

(Delaware County)

My DD4 RIII has a 16 and it*s my favorite AR I*ve had the pleasure of owning. I highly recommend it.
    My three favorite things in life are guns, girls and cars. Everything else is secondary.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234