Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: AR Uppers Question

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    Geisselle Mk.16 rail is pretty decent, M-LOK, and made in PA. I like mine.
    lol ouch. $325-350 for just a MLOK rail? No thank you. That is half as much as I paid for my original rifle in 1st term Obama. And about $100 more than a complete MLOK 3rd party complete upper with BCG.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    lol ouch. $325-350 for just a MLOK rail? No thank you. That is half as much as I paid for my original rifle in 1st term Obama. And about $100 more than a complete MLOK 3rd party complete upper with BCG.
    Bro. Do you even operate?

LOL

You can get a decent complete upper (no BCG/Charging handle) with mid length gas system and nice, 15" M-Lok handguard for $200 if you catch a sale.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Bro. Do you even operate?

LOL

You can get a decent complete upper (no BCG/Charging handle) with mid length gas system and nice, 15" M-Lok handguard for $200 if you catch a sale.
    I'm not an "operator" by any stretch. My AR is one of my least interesting guns to me. It is basically just there for SHTF/EOTWAWKI.

Yeah, I'm looking at a $239'ish complete 1:7" twist upper. And that is absent a sale. Even if the BCG is shit, I can use my Stag BCG. The extra could parts wouldn't hurt to have.

The kid's 16" MLOK style M4 feels about a pound or more less than my Stag+YHM furniture that I presently have. Plus all the snaggy effects of the quad rail that keeps pissing me off. I'm definitely going MLOK for the sleek and weight factors. Then factor in wanting to go red dot versus old fashion iron sight(I'm getting older, shit is getting blurry these days).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Clearfield County)

I had an upper that I hated the rail on, sold that upper minus the BCG and bought one that I greatly prefer. With current upper prices you're kind of nuts to stick with one you don't like. Mid length gas system with an A2 length rail is a very nice setup.

(Bucks County)

I have the yhm tool from back in the day. Yeah, yhm stuff sucks. If you need the upper disassembled, just send it to me. I'll have it apart in a few minutes. No charge, just pay the shipping.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Allegheny County)

So no Knights either then… ha.

Sell the rifle and build what you want?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    So no Knights either then* ha.

Sell the rifle and build what you want?
    Wow! Knight Armament is really proud of their gear with those prices. Holy shit! You can buy a complete AR for what they want for a URX 4 14.5" MLOK hand guard. ...and they got even more expensive single piece items below.

All I need to do is buy a replacement upper and I'll have the gun that I want/need. Not really needing to dump tons into a gun that the last time I shot it was literally in the middle of the second half of last decade. It is more of a tool to me, only used if/when needed and occasionally fired to make sure it functions and the sights are still on target. The vast majority of my plinking is done with leverguns, single shots, and handguns. I probably have more rounds thru my 1851 Navy cap & ball in the time period that I've owned this AR. LOL Although, I might shoot it more often once I equip it with a red dot, and now that the kid has his own AR. (father/son plinking time)

I figure that if I just replace the upper entirely in one sitting, I can then have the original for spare parts. It will be ready to go in mere moments. ...maybe use the original later in a build(doubtful). If I don't take up cdi on his offer to remove the barrel nut, I'll just cut & split it off like I had to do with the OEM unit(fucking Stag*).

*the original barrel nut was so fucking tight that I swear that Stag had He-Man, the Incredible Hulk, Superman, and 6 of Snow White's Seven Dwarfs(Grumpy was certainly one of them) on the wrench when the nut was installed. It broke a standard style nut wrench getting it off. Then the asswipe that installed my YHM broke the YHM tool putting it on. I had to dremel cut the OEM nut, then use a chisel to split it so not to fuck up the threads. I never bothered to check the thread indexing of the Stag upper. I do know that the guy had a hard time clocking the gas tube notches anywhere close to the spec torque of the nut. Which the clocking of the barrel nut had to be "perfect" because the hand guard's top rail to align with the built-in rail of the upper. So there is a very good chance the bare Stag upper and YHM hand guards might end up as a puddle of aluminum as my last act of revenge on them.

(Allegheny County)

Radical Firearms will probably have a setup that would be to your liking.
    I set the filter to "mid length" and these were the results at Primary Arms.
    I see these routinely for $170 or $200 (almost all uppers come without BCG and charging handle due to most people wanting to pick their own)
    https://www.primaryarms.com/radical-...ash-hider-16in

I could have sworn the Andro (Primary Arms house brand) upper I used to see for $170 or so on sale was a mid length, but this says carbine.
    Maybe they offer different configurations as they get them in.

Regardless, this is just an example of something you could pick up, and not break the bank, but have something very "workable".

https://www.primaryarms.com/andro-co...-receiver-16in
    (as I said, I thought they offered a mid length, but this one is a carbine length)

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Wow! Knight Armament is really proud of their gear with those prices. Holy shit! You can buy a complete AR for what they want for a URX 4 14.5" MLOK hand guard. ...and they got even more expensive single piece items below.

All I need to do is buy a replacement upper and I'll have the gun that I want/need. Not really needing to dump tons into a gun that the last time I shot it was literally in the middle of the second half of last decade. It is more of a tool to me, only used if/when needed and occasionally fired to make sure it functions and the sights are still on target. The vast majority of my plinking is done with leverguns, single shots, and handguns. I probably have more rounds thru my 1851 Navy cap & ball in the time period that I've owned this AR. LOL Although, I might shoot it more often once I equip it with a red dot, and now that the kid has his own AR. (father/son plinking time)

I figure that if I just replace the upper entirely in one sitting, I can then have the original for spare parts. It will be ready to go in mere moments. ...maybe use the original later in a build(doubtful). If I don't take up cdi on his offer to remove the barrel nut, I'll just cut & split it off like I had to do with the OEM unit(fucking Stag*).

*the original barrel nut was so fucking tight that I swear that Stag had He-Man, the Incredible Hulk, Superman, and 6 of Snow White's Seven Dwarfs(Grumpy was certainly one of them) on the wrench when the nut was installed. It broke a standard style nut wrench getting it off. Then the asswipe that installed my YHM broke the YHM tool putting it on. I had to dremel cut the OEM nut, then use a chisel to split it so not to fuck up the threads. I never bothered to check the thread indexing of the Stag upper. I do know that the guy had a hard time clocking the gas tube notches anywhere close to the spec torque of the nut. Which the clocking of the barrel nut had to be "perfect" because the hand guard's top rail to align with the built-in rail of the upper. So there is a very good chance the bare Stag upper and YHM hand guards might end up as a puddle of aluminum as my last act of revenge on them.
    Sounds like you’ve got a good plan then. Definitely build it for what you want to use it for…

I’d take EM’s advice on picking up a sale from Primary Arms or PSA. They seem to always have something like that at a very attractive price point.

Now I’m off to go spend the next 2 days (and one night), in full “operator” kit LARPing around the flat range! lol. (For real, I love these “training weekends”!). It’ll be a 1,000+ weekend for sure! 😎🤙

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Radical Firearms will probably have a setup that would be to your liking.
    I set the filter to "mid length" and these were the results at Primary Arms.
    I see these routinely for $170 or $200 (almost all uppers come without BCG and charging handle due to most people wanting to pick their own)
    https://www.primaryarms.com/radical-...ash-hider-16in

I could have sworn the Andro (Primary Arms house brand) upper I used to see for $170 or so on sale was a mid length, but this says carbine.
    Maybe they offer different configurations as they get them in.

Regardless, this is just an example of something you could pick up, and not break the bank, but have something very "workable".

https://www.primaryarms.com/andro-co...-receiver-16in
    (as I said, I thought they offered a mid length, but this one is a carbine length)

Nice! I think hold out for a sale from Primary. I was going to reuse my present charging handle regardless. Mine has a big ass tab on it to make it easy to palm charge(my left hand has "issues").

The kiddo has a complete Radikal AR, and it has worked well for him so far. Not sure if his is carbine or mid length gas system though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast