Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Can a private rifle range club video record its members without their knowledge?

Audio recording is regulated, video not so much.

Aiming a video cam in the window of your neighbor's 13 yr old daughter is a crime. Mounting a cam on your own garage to monitor your driveway and the adjacent street, not a crime. Not a tort, either.

I take the position that nobody has any expectation of their words not being intercepted while they're illegally standing on my property & discussing whether they should break into my cars.

If I had a range open to a few hundred members, I'd place 6 hidden cams and 4 obvious cams, with remote live monitoring capability. And I'd post signs for the less-observant vandals. Combine deterrence of "we're watching you" with the ability to prosecute those who ignore the warnings. If I wanted audio, I'd tack notice on the signs, nullifying any reasonable expectation of non-interception.

Urban scumbags are ruining the shooting sports. I've commented before that I see the Game Commission has permanently shut down every range that was within driving distance of NY, NJ, and Philadelphia, likely because of the feral yutes who have no internalized governors on their behavior. the kind of a-holes you see in YouTube videos test-firing guns "away", not at any berm or wall or mountain, just "away", with housing or roads visible in that direction. We have multiple generations of adults who don't care about consequences if they aren't certain and immediate.

People bringing tanks of explosive gas and shooting them up and then driving off, leaving the shards and wreckage.

Allowing people unmonitored use of your facilities is a thing of the past, not appropriate for 2024 humanity. I'd like the ability to call the cops if I see members or non-members show up and start strapping dynamite to the uprights. I'd like a record if a body is found at the target area.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Can a private rifle range club video record its members without their knowledge?

They have them at my club but I don't think that any are hidden, I don't even look for them. They use them as evidence when they need to and they're pretty intolerant of assholes so they usually only get to asshole once there.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

On a couple of occasions, we had a YouTuber shooting our club tables while filming some of their tests. It wasn't until they were called out on it that they made it right with the club. They got caught because they were dumb enough to post the damage to YouTube. How many others have shot club property and haven't been caught? I'm fine with cameras at the range. Both of the clubs I belong to has them.

I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that a range has security cameras. The year is 2024 and they're literally everywhere, from every store/restaurant/bar to streets/parking lots. A good chunk of homeowners also have security systems too.

(Allegheny County)

I guess the OP took his ball and went home.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    It was a small ball.
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    This is a tough crowd, we malign everyone... including someone putting black olives on a taco.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    This is a tough crowd, we malign everyone... including someone putting black olives on a taco.
    Freak!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Our club has cameras and from what I know it*s because of people vandalizing things and doing dumb shit.
    Yeah, I was not happy when that was announced. Not at all.
    Not really another good option for shooting though and the difference is that they didn't do it without notifying anyone it was being done.

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that a range has security cameras. The year is 2024 and they're literally everywhere, from every store/restaurant/bar to streets/parking lots. A good chunk of homeowners also have security systems too.
    And this right here is why society keeps going into the shitter - everyone throws up their hands in defeat because "It happens everywhere else", or "What do I have to hide?"

Just because there are cameras "everywhere" doesn't make it OK.
    Speaking out against it is not something that should be mocked - it should be applauded.

I guess everyone here is fine with all the traffic cams that keep going up. "Makes us all safer" when they can fine people remotely, and all that fun stuff.

I think I'm the only person reading this thread who is on the side of the OP.
    HIDDEN cams watching you shoot is shady as fuck.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Has it even been confirmed that these cams were placed BY the club management?

The PA Game Commission has been known to place hidden trail cams on private property and there was a recent court case pertaining to this. There’s a thread somewhere around here.

And don’t for one minute think that the ATF isn’t working behind the scenes with the PA Game Commission for access to “suspicious” footage caught on camera. Federal LE uses loopholes all the time to skirt Constitutional protections provided by the 4th Amendment

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast