Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Can a private rifle range club video record its members without their knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    What consequence exactly are you suffering by being recorded ? I realize you don*t like it, but I also don*t think you know how many times you are being recorded everyday while you are out and about.

At one of my ranges there are VISIBLE cameras everywhere. So yes, I do know they are there and have no problem with them. It is a private club, open by membership. The general public doesn*t stroll on in. But on any given day there are numerous shooters there. So it doesn*t feel very private to me.
    At most, there are 1-2 other shooters on the range when i am there. Most of the time there are none. As stated before the cameras are hidden. The cameras were not disclosed to members. No communication, no explanation, nothing. It seems odd and shady at best. If you dont feel that being recorded while using your firearms and your license plate, make and model of your vehicle, etc. being recorded and used by someone that remains undisclosed, is wrong*..then i think you are very comfortable with the erosion of firearms rights all together. If you are saying the general public doesn*t stroll in*.then what is the need to collect data on the members? I think many of you are missing the entire point of this. And yes, being recorded is a consequence because someone other than me is doing something wrong. Just as any gun legislation is a consequence to legal gun owners because someone did something stupid.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Can a private rifle range club video record its members without their knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I'm going out on a limb and guessing that the new powers-that-be making the rule changes and installing cameras may be doing so for protection of the club from liability in case of accident, or to ID vandals doing damage to club proppity.

Noah
    This is why we have cameras at my club.

Full disclosure: I may be on archived video taking a leak at the tree line.

How is it any different than you walking into kmart and being recorded? Or driving through the ATM at the bank and being recorded? If you step one foot on my property, you are being recorded. Why would a gun club, a private entity, need to ask your permission before filming you and their land?
    iAnal

Quote Originally Posted by Marines55 View Post
    At most, there are 1-2 other shooters on the range when i am there. Most of the time there are none. As stated before the cameras are hidden. The cameras were not disclosed to members. No communication, no explanation, nothing. It seems odd and shady at best. If you dont feel that being recorded while using your firearms and your license plate, make and model of your vehicle, etc. being recorded and used by someone that remains undisclosed, is wrong*..then i think you are very comfortable with the erosion of firearms rights all together. If you are saying the general public doesn*t stroll in*.then what is the need to collect data on the members? I think many of you are missing the entire point of this. And yes, being recorded is a consequence because someone other than me is doing something wrong. Just as any gun legislation is a consequence to legal gun owners because someone did something stupid.
    Quite respectfully, comparing your gun club monitoring range usage to the erosion of gun rights is a bit of a stretch . The club that I belonged to used RFID cards to gain access to a fenced in range. They knew the instant that I coded through the door. There were cameras that were very visible on the entire firing line. When someone would fire a pistol into the bench or handle and load etc. when people were down range, the footage could be accessed and appropriate action could be taken against the offender. Something is definitely going on. Ask the board. Hopefully they explain their position if they installed them. Sadly, if you don't get an answer, or an answer that you like, I am sure they would tell you that you could join a different club.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marines55 View Post
    How were my gun rights affected by me or my car being recorded on video ?

Data (video) is being collected because sometimes MEMBERS screw up. Sometimes intentionally, sometimes not.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Our club has cameras and from what I know it*s because of people vandalizing things and doing dumb shit.
    Mine is in the process of installing cameras for exactly this reason. I am fully in favor of it because the people doing the stupid stuff need to be kicked out.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Surprisingly, I find free*s comments on this topic spot on. Sometimes he can be a royal pain. Here I think he is right also.
    I was just going to post the same thing. Everything Free has said is correct. (That feels weird)

If you are outside, you general have no expectation of privacy. If other people coukd see you where you are, you definitely have no expectation of privacy.

As for trail cams.... if the purpose is to discourage bad behavior, hiding the cameras isn't going to help. If it to catch someone specific, then hiding them makes sense.

And the resturaunts that have cameras don't put "you are being recorded" on the door as a curtosy. They put the sign there as a warning as if toa say "try to rob us and we'll send your face to the cops, dumbass"

(York County)

What private gun club is the OP talking about?

Someone here might already know why they put in cameras.

(Chester County)

If you are on private property the owner of that property has the right to use cameras to protect himself from liability, vandalism and theft. Having said that thought at a private gun club that is run by a Board of Directors it is their obligation to 1:discuss the matter at a Board Meeting 2: hold a vote on whether they see a need for such action 3: put the matter out as a referendum to members so they can vote on the matter. If the members vote for or against such an action then the discussion is over and the Board must adhere to whatever the results of the vote were. This is how clubs that are run as an Association Governed by Elected Directors work. If the property is owned by one person or an incorporated entity and the club is exclusively run by the owner/s the members must abide by the rules the owners make and have no say other than to appeal a decision or leave the club.

I have sat on a Gun Club Board and on the Board of a 501(c)(3) Charitable organization so I do have some experience in these types of things. I do believe though which ever way cameras come about at your gun range the membership should be made fully aware of it.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

If anyone wants to read the Pennsylvania wiretap act. here it is give or take the 60 plus or minus pages for your reading pleasure.

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...&div=0&chpt=57
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast