Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Advice on cast bullets

I found a good deal on 1000 SWC cast bullets, manufactured by MSB Bullet Co, Fleetwood, NY (cannot find a reference). The carton states 156 gr weight; however, upon opening and checking, the average weight is 166 gr. The carton states .358 dia; I'm measuring .359. Bullet length is .721". Labels on the carton state "Linotype metal" and "Alox and dry lube". The bullets are noticeably sticky to the touch.

What do I have? Does the diameter and stickiness matter in mid-range loading them for my Pythons in .357 brass? Is there a way to remove the stickiness?

I have no in-house way to resize these, if that even matters. It seems to me that the stickiness would hold dirt, etc., which seems to be a disadvantage.

I appreciate any advice you can share.

revarc

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Advice on cast bullets

So, there's no lube in the lube groove?
    A pic would be helpful

(Clarion County)

As ArmyVet asks a pic would be helpful. .721 is on the long side for .357.
    Are you measuring with a caliper or micrometer?
    Is there a gas check on these?
    Linotype makes a very hard brittle cast. For midrange loads a softer alloy is preferable.
    For the alox you can set some out and see if they dry out overnight. Also using a fan over them may help or heat them at a low temperature. Heat gun works well as does an oven on low temperature. Send wife shopping and spray kitchen with some odor killer. (LOL) Suggest doing it in an area with good ventilation. If it was applied too thick and that doesn't work the exposed nose of the bullet could be cleaned with mineral spirits. If you load them as is be prepared to keep a close eye on your seating depths as it will accumulate in your seating die. Clean die after session.
    If it was me, and I'm as frugal as they come, for a Python I'd get a quality cast.

Edit: By quality I don't mean the most expensive but reputable company with good rep. with bullet and alloy suited to what you need.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Bucks County)

The carton states 156 gr weight; however, upon opening and checking, the average weight is 166 gr.
    That is close enough and will not affect a midrange target load. And for tumble lubed bullets that is what you want since a 357 will lead badly using a max load.

The carton states .358 dia; I'm measuring .359.
    They probably were sized .358 and you are measuring the lube thickness.

Bullet length is .721".
    Bullet length is irrelevant and will differ with different nose styles. Pressure wise the amount sticking in the case is more important. Set bullet length so the bullet will drop in the cylinder and make sure the bullet isn't jammed into the cylinder. Shorter is OK within reason.

Labels on the carton state "Linotype metal" and "Alox and dry lube". The bullets are noticeably sticky to the touch.
    Linotype is hard and brittle but leading is more dependent on bullet fit to your bore diameter. Tumble lube works but you will probably see leading when you get over +p pressures.
    Straight Alox can be sticky and if it is mixed with wax might need some time to dry. Leave them out and see if they harden a little more. If not don't worry about it and shoot them.

(Lehigh County)

LSWC_01a.jpg

I've attached a picture. I've also decided not to load these for the Pythons, as I have Oregon Trail 158 LSWC that I use for 38 Special standard loads and have used them in the .357 at ~900 fps with no leading. I certainly don't want a reloading headache to save a few bucks.

I measured with caliper the driving band diameter to get .359".

Thanks for your replies.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by revarc View Post
    LSWC_01a.jpg

I've attached a picture. I've also decided not to load these for the Pythons, as I have Oregon Trail 158 LSWC that I use for 38 Special standard loads and have used them in the .357 at ~900 fps with no leading. I certainly don't want a reloading headache to save a few bucks.

I measured with caliper the driving band diameter to get .359".

Thanks for your replies.
    A dial caliper? They are not accurate enough. You need a micrometer for bullets and you have to take all of the lube off with a solvent. Also measure the main bands since they are sometimes larger than the small band in front of the crimp groove. If you are worried about the bullets being oversized and giving high pressures they won't. As long as the loaded round can drop right in the chamber with gravity you are good.

With cast you usually get the best accuracy if the bullet is sized 0.001 larger than the bore diameter but revolvers can be problematic since the cylinder and forcing cone can be smaller than the barrel. You can get scientific do a lot of work trying to optimize this or just load them up, shoot them, and see how accurate they are.

(Lancaster County)

That bullet is pretty beat up...is that typical for the entire lot?

This is what I'm used to seeing
    Attachment 172855

This is a nice set of digital calipers. Just be sure to keep the measuring surface clean or you'll get incorrect readings. Don't go cheap...
    Last edited by ArmyVet; February 25th, 2024 at 08:52 PM.

(Delaware County)

Looks like those bullets are conventionally lubed and then have some film “tumble” lube on top of it. Load mid range loads for 158 grain lead SWC and crimp in the crimp groove and you’ll be fine. .359 is a much better diameter than .358. Cast bullets should be a minimum of .002 over groove diameter and small causes many more problems than large. I size my castings .360.

(Lehigh County)

The cast bullets in the carton resemble the picture I posted. Some have no hard lube ring. Their overall condition might have come from how they were stored. If I were a bullet caster, I think I might melt and recast. Or remove all the lube and powder coat.

I'll hold onto them for now. Thanks for your replies!

The hardness of the linotype alloy means they won't bump up in diameter to seal the throats before you can get gas cutting.
    I'd try pushing some through the throats on the chambers. If they slip right through then you'd likely be stuck using them for low level loads to avoid leading. But that depends upon whether you have small throats, throats that match your groove diameter or (hopefully) throats that are a little larger than groove diameter.
    I'd probably test them out and very quickly ascertain how hard I could push them with whatever powders there were on hand.
    Fifty years ago I would have loaded them with Bullseye and put bunnies in the freezer. Grandad loved wabbits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast