Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    NotNearPhilly Guest

Question Gifting Gun to Son in MD?

Does anyone know the procedure to transfer a gun from a parent to an adult child living in Maryland? We'd like to give one to our son, although we realize they have a lot of rules there.

At the moment we're talking about a new pistol or revolver, but I'd appreciate any info re the transfer.

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: Gifting Gun to Son in MD?

Any interstate transfer needs to go through an FFL in the recipient's state.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    Any interstate transfer needs to go through an FFL in the recipient's state.
    Actually, for long guns being transferred between parties in neighboring states, the FFL transfer can be done in either state.

Though if the OP ends up gifting a handgun as indicated, the recipient will need to acquire it from an FFL in his home state.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

NotNearPhilly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Actually, for long guns being transferred between parties in neighboring states, the FFL transfer can be done in either state.

Though if the OP ends up gifting a handgun as indicated, the recipient will need to acquire it from an FFL in his home state.
    You don't mean he'll actually have to buy it in MD, do you? Just that we'll have to arrange to have it transferrred through a FFL dealer there? He was trying to understand the Maryland rules which had some form for the State Police, I guess. He didn't know if the parent/child gift had any bearing.

Thanks for the answers. I'm not sure what he'll choose but there aren't many dealers in MD.

Quote Originally Posted by NotNearPhilly View Post
    You don't mean he'll actually have to buy it in MD, do you? Just that we'll have to arrange to have it transferrred through a FFL dealer there? He was trying to understand the Maryland rules which had some form for the State Police, I guess. He didn't know if the parent/child gift had any bearing.

Thanks for the answers. I'm not sure what he'll choose but there aren't many dealers in MD.
    The gun would have to be shipped to a FFL in MD for your son to take ownership of a gun, you'd need to ship (can't use the USPS) it to the FFL your son would have the transfer done by.

You as owner could also take the gun and go with your son to a MD FFL who could do the transfer
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by NotNearPhilly View Post

Since it is crossing state lines, you have to abide by Federal law first. Your son doesn't have to buy it, just have it transferred and fill out the 4473 form in his home state.

Whatever MD laws apply about the gun then come second. ...like any registration, casing samples, waiting periods, etc.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

NotNearPhilly Guest

I appreciate the responses. He should be able to get a lot of it sorted out himself once he decides what he wants (and what they allow).

If he decides to hunt and needs his rifle, I guess we figure that out then.

Of course the kid in Pittsburgh doesn't want a gun