Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Beretta 92fs rusting issue

It*s not drastic at all but still concerning to say the least. I*m pretty meticulous about cleaning and lubing my firearms and have a multitude of products to do so. So I don*t shoot the 92 very much I*d say it was close to a year or more since last time I fired it and after I got it home from the range last week the firing pin block that pops out of the slide when the trigger is pressed was covered in a rust sludge. Now I normally use clp of some sort to clean and lube modern pistols; breakfree, radcolube, G96 syn and regular, Clenzoil, syn ATF, corrosionx, ballistol, rem oil, rig grease and there are a lot more. The question is on something like the 92 a fairly modern pistol how would it rust in a safe 5ft from a wood stove in my living room?
    I did put some G96syn in there and with the safety on worked the trigger about 50 times and got 95% of it out. Checked it again last night and got a little more out but not much. I do have eezox but can*t use it due to the smell. I always think of Sam Elliot in roadhouse with the sign above the bathroom door *don*t eat the big white mint* it just smells bad

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Beretta 92fs rusting issue

Try Kroil and FP10.. Dan Wesson recommended....

Slight smell but breaks down rust...anything that is a good cleaner will reek.

(York County)

Might want to search this subject on YouTube, there are countless head-to-head
    tests on C/L/P products. I wish I had saved the one I saw just a couple weeks ago,
    covering maybe 20-30 products after 1 year of exposure. The results were surprising.
    Unfortunately after 3 days of searching I still can't find it, not even in my viewing
    history.

I had a small bit of rust show up on the slide of my 1911, this was years ago. The only
    product I could find already in our home, was Brasso.
    I followed the directions on the can, all rust removed, pistol finish unharmed, and it
    seemed to leave a slight shine, like a thin protective layer. No rust since.

I OC everywhere, all day, every day, so the pistol is constantly exposed, leather holster.
    Maybe 2-3 times per year I will "field strip" it to clean it and wipe a thin film of
    generic silicone spray inside and out. Less is more.

BTW - that youtube video showed only 4 products that survived the 1-year test
    and the best was Frog Lube with zero rust. There were 3 others that did equally
    well and I can't remember what they were. Other videos seem to indicate that
    ideally 3 separate products should be used, one would be the best cleaner (C),
    one the best lube (L), and one the best protectant (P), as no one product excels
    at all functions.
    Good luck!
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

For cleaning rust and also for getting lead out of barrels I came across Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner back in the 1970s. Skeeter Skelton had written about the product, and it left an impression on me. I made a purchase of a wad back then and have used it over the decades. My supply had gotten small and I wondered if I could replenish it. Sure enough, someone mentioned the product on this forum and I had the source I needed. Great product for $6.00.

https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

Rick

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by RLS View Post
    For cleaning rust and also for getting lead out of barrels I came across Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner back in the 1970s. Skeeter Skelton had written about the product, and it left an impression on me. I made a purchase of a wad back then and have used it over the decades. My supply had gotten small and I wondered if I could replenish it. Sure enough, someone mentioned the product on this forum and I had the source I needed. Great product for $6.00.

https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

Rick
    Another vote for Big 45 to clean up rust...
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Chester County)

Did you buy the pistol new? If so have you ever fired corrosive ammo in it? Any steel case and/or foreign military ammo fired in it?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerdown View Post
    Did you buy the pistol new? If so have you ever fired corrosive ammo in it? Any steel case and/or foreign military ammo fired in it?
    Water to dissolve the salt.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

Must be all that specialized gun specific lube you use.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Delaware County)

That sucks. Hope you can get rid of that rust. Good luck.
    My three favorite things in life are guns, girls and cars. Everything else is secondary.