Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default MVP patrol questions.

I was tossing around the idea of picking up a .308 that is compatible with PMAGS and with several searches, the MVP scout and patrol came up. I don’t need anything with that long rail system for Long eye relief scopes because that’s just not my cup of tea. So based on that I decided to take a closer look at the patrol.

One of my concerns is that it has a pretty short barrel (16.25). Im sure shorter barrels have their strong points, but how will it affect trajectory and ballistics at medium to longer ranges?

Any input would be helpful. Pros and cons are encouraged.
    Thanks, Isaac

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: MVP patrol questions.

Assume 25 fps per inch of velocity loss from what the ballistic tables show. 500 yard hits are easy.
    The mag release for the MVP series sucks...

(Chester County)

This may give you some insight:

(Lehigh County)

Honestly, I would avoid. I have the MVP Patrol in 5.56 and was looking at getting the .308 until I ran into issues with the 5.56 version. I had to update and replace items on the rifle myself since Mossberg does not take ownership. I would refer you to Ruger or some other manufacturer.

In the end my MVP patrol does function, but still has quirks and you should be aware of that.

(Bucks County)

Bergara has a few nice options, starting at just under $1k.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs4421 View Post
    I was tossing around the idea of picking up a .308 that is compatible with PMAGS and with several searches, the MVP scout and patrol came up. I don*t need anything with that long rail system for Long eye relief scopes because that*s just not my cup of tea. So based on that I decided to take a closer look at the patrol.

One of my concerns is that it has a pretty short barrel (16.25). Im sure shorter barrels have their strong points, but how will it affect trajectory and ballistics at medium to longer ranges?

Any input would be helpful. Pros and cons are encouraged.
    Thanks, Isaac
    You wont be hampered all that bad with trajectory and ballistics. You'll lose about 50-100fps for every 2 inches - depending on load, powder type, etc.

One advantage of the shorter barrel, if given the same profile & diameter as a longer barrel, is that they suffer less from barrel whip as the projectile goes down the bore - which lends itself to accuracy.

That 50-100fps difference from an 18" or 100-200fps between a 16" versus 20" can be compensated for by elevation.

I guess I could have done a google before typing that all out.. lol Here is an inch comparison. https://rifleshooter.com/2014/12/308...ty-28-to-16-5/
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Ruger American Rifle Hunter, Bolt Action, .308 Win./7.62 NATO, 20" Barrel 5 Rd Magpul Magazine

Sale Price $779.99
    Club Price $740.99

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...unds?a=2242718
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx