Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gun Comparison- First Handgun

Hello All,

I am new to the site and have a few questions on some guns. Im looking to buy my first handgun and Im stuck between a few that I have seen, fired, heard about.
    I have shot a few guns but of the ones I have shot I enjoyed the Glock 19. I liked how it felt in my hand and it was easy to aim and fire. But I have heard some negatives on the Glock such as it not being a true "double action." Would that matter that much?
    I am also looking at the Ruger P95 mainly out of reviews that I have read and cost. Also the Baby Desert Eagle 9mm from seeing it being shot and reading reviews and because MR makes pretty sturdy guns.

And the M&P and XD have been suggested as well but I don't know much else about them.

Any other suggestions and/or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

p.s. any good places to test some guns out in Pittsburgh not originally from this area.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Gun Comparison- First Handgun

Quote Originally Posted by ksig1869 View Post
    Hello All,

I am new to the site and have a few questions on some guns. Im looking to buy my first handgun and Im stuck between a few that I have seen, fired, heard about.
    I have shot a few guns but of the ones I have shot I enjoyed the Glock 19. I liked how it felt in my hand and it was easy to aim and fire. But I have heard some negatives on the Glock such as it not being a true "double action." Would that matter that much?
    I am also looking at the Ruger P95 mainly out of reviews that I have read and cost. Also the Baby Desert Eagle 9mm from seeing it being shot and reading reviews and because MR makes pretty sturdy guns.

And the M&P and XD have been suggested as well but I don't know much else about them.

Any other suggestions and/or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

p.s. any good places to test some guns out in Pittsburgh not originally from this area.
    Welcome.

First off, if you come to the group shoot you can shoot most of those.

http://forum.pafoa.org/shoots-range-...tml#post504324

Out of the guns you mention, I think the Glock 19, M&P and XD are the best options (personally)

Momma C's new P89 had feeding issues with a few shooters. Other people had no problems. I don't know much about the baby eagle, but I doubt it would do anything better than any of the other options. The p89 is a double action which means the first trigger pull is long and heavy. After the first shot the hammer stays cocked and the trigger is single action. Personally I like the simplicity of the other "striker fired" systems better. t's nice to have a consistant trigger pull every time.

Do you want the full-size or compact? The M&P compact is about the same size as a G-19 and the XD compact is a little smaller. I LOVE my M&P compact but I think the G-19 is about the perfect no-frills 9mm. The XD is a great gun as well.

What it comes down to is whch one you like the best. If you come to the group shoot you can shoot my M&P, my brothers XD, and there's probably going to be about a dozen different glocks to try as well.

I have a box of ammo with your name on it.
    Last edited by P-11 shooter; November 30th, 2008 at 05:41 AM.

(Lycoming County)

+1 to P-11shooter. Go to the group shoots. They're fun, you get to meet everyone (almost), and everyones usually happy to let you try what they brought... just ask.

I need to get down there for another one.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    Welcome.

Out of the guns you mention, I think the Glock 19, M&P and XD are the best options (personally)

Momma C's new P89 had feeding issues with a few shooters. Other people had no problems. I don't know much about the baby eagle, but I doubt it would do anything better than any of the other options. The p89 is a double action which means the first trigger pull is long and heavy. After the first shot the hammer stays cocked and the trigger is single action. Personally I like the simplicity of the other "striker fired" systems better. t's nice to have a consistant trigger pull every time.

Do you want the full-size or compact? The M&P compact is about the same size as a G-19 and the XD compact is a little smaller. I LOVE my M&P compact but I think the G-19 is about the perfect no-frills 9mm. The XD is a great gun as well.

What it comes down to is whch one you like the best. If you come to the group shoot you can shoot my M&P, my brothers XD, and there's probably going to be about a dozen different glocks to try as well.

What he said. I would have a few less guns if I could have tried them before I bought them. But then again maybe not.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Luzerne County)

Also welcome to the forum..
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Westmoreland County)

I couldn't agree more.

The issue of the glock not being a true dbl action is a distinct advantage. The ruger and baby eagle are well built pistols but mastering the crappy dbl action trigger systems involves a steep learning curve.

Personally I like the simplicity of the other "striker fired" systems better. t's nice to have a consistant trigger pull every time.
    Pay attention to P-11.

(Bucks County)

First, what is the guns' intended purpose? Conceal carry? Target/range work?
    Second, how often do you plan to shoot and how much? Once a month? Less? More?
    Third, is expence an issue? Do you have a limit as to what you want to spend?
    For instance. Say I was a young gun(ha) with not alot of money who just wants a plinker to take to the range once a month, shooting about 100-200 rounds. I don't have alot of money and the way ammo has been going up lately, I can't really afford over $50 a month to go to ammo and I really only want to spend $300-$400 for the gun. For this scenario, I would recommend a used Glock/XD/M&P/CZ 75b in 9mm.
    Rarely is ones' first handgun a keeper for life, and any of those would suit you well as well as resale value down the road. JMO, YMMV.

(Allegheny County)

Welcome.

I have a G19 and a couple mags of 9mm for you too.

I think P-11 effectively ended this thread by giving you all the real info first out.

Hell ! Tony even quoted him !
    You feeling OK P ?

(Westmoreland County)

Wow, its been a lot of years since I asked that question on a forum.

I really wanted good feedback and got tons. You came to the right place!

Bottom line is that I had to think about what was important to me and make my decision based on that.

My first carry piece was a Ruger SP101 revolver in .357 magnum. At that time I wanted maximum stopping power, cheap price and 100% reliability. After a while it got to be a little heavy for me.

I have since added a S&W 9mm Sigma (17 shots - inexpenisive but a little on the large side) and a Kel-Tec .380 (ultimate concealability)

I also have a Ruger Mark III for cheap target practice for me, the wife and kids. And, I have a S&W model 19 .357 just for the hell of it. I always loved that model gun.

If you want revolver reliability and price is no object, I would go with some fly weight .357 that can shoot .38s for target practice.

I am not much of an expert on semi-autos, but there are a number of 9mm, 10mm, 40, .45, .357 sig choices out there.

9mm is the cheapest ammo (strangely cheaper than .380! - I know, its the most popular caliber) and you can get a number of good light/small carry pieces in that caliber.

Take your time and weigh all the options. Decide what is most important to you. Remember its probably going to just be the first of your collection

Anthony Arms in West Mifflin has a range where you can try out guns up to .50 cal. I let my son try a .45 there as he was bugging me to let him shoot one.
    Last edited by Tokamak; November 30th, 2008 at 01:41 PM.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Great advice from other posters, but I think you answered your own question. You liked the Glock 19.

I really don't think there is much difference between the Glocks, M&P's and XD's. All are reliable and can be shot very accurately. The Rugers (P-series and SR9) are excellent choices. Also, the S&W Sigma is not a bad choice. All depends on your budget and how you like the feel of the gun. My choice in 9mm was the M&P. Just liked it better than the Glocks and XD's. If I ever decide to get another 9mm it will be a Ruger or CZ75.

My favorite recommendation for a first handgun is a .22 (Ruger, Browning or 22A). I think the 22A is best for the money, but have a preference for Rugers. .22's are great for learning/training because of low cost and low cost of ammo. They are just plain fun to shoot.

Buying a first handgun is a big decision, but unlike being married you can easily "divorce" a bad decision and it won't be nearly as costly. You are also allowed to have multiple "spouses." I've opted for the latter choice and all of them are my favorites.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast