Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default wheres a good place to find a reasonably priced 30-40 Kreg

ive had my eye on a 30-40 kreg for a while since i saw it in a magazine i was wondering if there was any where i could find one reasonably piced

(York County)

Default Re: wheres a good place to find a reasonably priced 30-40 Kreg

Don't know where to find one locally, but you might want to check www.gunbroker.com. I have been looking for one for quite a few years, but it seems like everytime I get the money saved up, something goes wrong and I need to use it for some type of emergency. The prices have gone up alot in the few years that I have been looking but every once in a while you can find a good deal. Good luck.

(Fayette County)

Prices on Krag's are kinda funny right now. I have a few of them and always pick them up when I find one for a good price. The last one I bought cost $200. Got it from an older fella that hunted with it. I've got seven of them now. Hunt with one myself.

The rifles on GunBroker are bringing a good bit of money for what they are, in my opinion. Cut-up, sporterized rifles going for $300 to $500 dollars seems a little high to me. The original, untouched rifles are well worth the asking prices. There are not many of them around anymore. As far as finding a large quanity to pick and choose from, GunBroker is your best bet.

If your price shopping, check out your local gun shops. Krag's drift in and out of gun shops all the time and usually at better prices than GunBroker. The last one I looked at was in a gun shop and would have been mine until I found out someone had put a deposit on it. Price was $225. Barrel was un-cut but the stock had been chopped. Good bore, slick bolt, and tight lock-up.

One important note about the Krag, the bolts have a reputation for cracking around the locking lug on the front of the bolt. I have only seen one cracked bolt before and I've looked at alot of these rifles. I think the bolt cracking is more of an exception than a rule but make sure that the rifle you end up buying is sound before firing.

With all this in mind, I urge you to go get one, you will love it! These are awesome old rifles. They are very accurate if the barrel isn't shot out. The machine work is perfect, I dare you to find a tool mark anywhere on any part. And last but not least, they are the slickest, smoothest, best feeling rifle you will ever work the action on. Like ball bearings on glass.

(Lebanon County)

this is where being in good with one decent shop comes in handy. in the past year and half or so, i have picked up three from the same shop, two real nice carbines, one cut down rifle that's trying real hard to be a carbine. each one was less then $500.
    there were three others i pasted one, they were too cut up....i mean they were too sporterized for my taste.

and i agree, there is no other bolt action that will come close to being as smooth as the krag.......unfortunatly that smoothness comes from teh krag's weakness, the single locking lug.

finding a decently priced un-altered rifle will be a challenge.
    the rifles were long guns, several inches longer than an '03. even the carbines are just about as long as an '03.
    many a deer was killed by the 30-40, so many of the rifles were cut down to make them a little bit more handy in the woods.
    Last edited by brian; December 1st, 2008 at 09:31 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Luzerne County)

thnx guys but i was hopeing for a lever action im not sure where to find any of them

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warman View Post
    thnx guys but i was hopeing for a lever action im not sure where to find any of them
    then you're not looking for a krag.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warman View Post
    Your looking for a Winchester 1895 chambered in .30/40 Krag. They are out there although at a hefty price tag. I was at a gun show about 2 years ago where a fella had a NEW, unfired, with original price tag still on the gun for $3500. Man did I want to buy that thing.

I think the lowest I have seen one go for is $800 and it was pretty rough around the edges. GunBroker will be your best bet for these rifles because they are rare to find, not impossible but rare, in gun shops. Bigger gun shows always seem to turn up one or two of these rifles if you prefer to handle before you buy.