Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Which holster for Springfield Hellcat Pro?

I just ordered this gun in FDE. I usually buy a kydex IWB and OWB holster and they work but none have been comfortable at the end of a long day of concealed carry. A friend of mine mentioned that he prefers a leather holster. Maybe that’s a good alternative, but I’m on the fence and open to suggestions . Just let me know what your thoughts are. I generally carry in the 3 o’clock position.
    Thanks, Isaac

(York County)

Default Re: Which holster for Springfield Hellcat Pro?

Holsters. Good luck, let us know what you find. It's a very personal choice.
    The choices get very limited if you are not looking for a holster that is
    commonly found within the military and law enforcement, or if you want
    to carry a firearm not common among those 2 groups.

I am currently OWB and OC a 5" 1911 at 3 o'clock in a leather Desantis
    "coked and locked" holster, with a thumb snap. All my holster have retention
    and the thumb break honestly is about as weak as retention gets. It is well worn-in
    and comfortable, but that also means I typically need 2 hands to re-holster.
    Leather holsters with good retention are very hard to find. Kydex tends to run
    the gamut from zero (or close to it) retention all the way to level 3 or more.
    Downside to kydex can be the size. If you go OWB and good retention your
    holster will stick out like a barn door and you will thwack your weapon into every
    door jamb, car door, seat, person, etc. The kydex pancake styles offer no retention
    to speak of.

The DeSantis is slim and fits close with a good belt. Get a good belt, even IWB.

That said I have had my eye out for my own replacement holster. Two years later
    and I'm still looking, and often times I find an interesting holster only to discover
    they don't make one for a 1911.

Sorry if this isn't very helpful but I still hope my rambling helps in some way.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

The ONLY leather holsters I buy are TT Gunleather

(Bucks County)

Use a foam wedge to mitigate kydex bite or a leather holster...TT gunleather I heard is pretty good, but leather holsters squeak took much for me for CCW.

(Lehigh County)

Holsters are sized to the specific firearm. Unfortunately, the individual(s) who carry are of various shapes and mass. Therefore, it's a tough question to provide an answer to. I carry my Hellcat Pro in a BraDec iwb kydex holster. This is the most comfortable iwb holster I have ever worn and I wear it all day, every day! However, I am 5'11" and weigh 158 lbs.. This holster/handgun combination may not be as comfortable for an individual of greater body mass.

(Philadelphia County)

How about a hybrid holster, at least for iwb? I really like the Crossbreed Supertuck (and Minituck for smaller). If you don't need a lifetime warranty, check out their seconds site, crossbreed-seconds.com.

The other holster I like a lot is the DeSantis Slim-tuk. It is not as comfortable, but it is quick and easy to put on and take off.

I have never found an OWB holster that works for me outside of a military/leo/competition environment.

(Allegheny County)

I carry my Hellcat in a Crossbreed Reckoning. As suggested above, these sort of hybrid holsters are very comfortable with the leather on the back side and Kydex up front.

I used their custom shop to make mine with OD Green kydex, FDE hardware, and black leather backer to match my FDE Hellcat. I*ve been very pleased with it. I did crack the Kydex, but it was done while diving on the ground at a training event onto gravel. (I train hard! **). Crossbreed sent me a complete new custom holster for free even though I had only asked about buying another ODG kydex shell. Their customer service is fantastic!
    IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_8969.jpg

I use this setup when I dress *business* at work.. I usually rock a larger weapon when I have casual untucked flannels as a shirt. It*s very slim and light. The metal belt clips are actually good; I usually swap them out for polymer ones, but didn*t feel the need. Been using it like this for a couple years now.
    Last edited by ScaredOnce; February 5th, 2024 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Added later pic with the optic and 15rd Hellcat Pro mags, as I normally have it setup
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Just saw that the OP mentions 3 o’clock carry… it works that way too. Maybe not with the mag carrier (added option; great for AIWB as I carry at 12:30)

(York County)

I am like everyone else here. We all have had holsters we hated or were uncomfortable or not as functional as we needed. I have now settled on Alien gear holsters. They always have pad that rests against your skin so there's no rubbing or discomfort. It's a blend of leather and kydex and this is where I was sold. The leather is the flat base of the holster and the kydex used to conform to the guns shape. I use the cloak tuck 3.5 worn pretty close to 3 o'clock position. Its the only IWB I will wear now. Good luck with whatever you end up with!

https://aliengearholsters.com/holste...with-mrds.html

(Allegheny County)

If you want all leather, Relentless Tactical is great. Very nice leather options and extremely sturdy metal clips.

I also really like my T. Rex Arms Sidecar, but it’s for AIWB.. and all Kydex.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast