Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Assistance with Sighting In

Hello,

I live in the Bethlehem Area and was wondering if anyone is a member to an outdoor 100 yard range that wouldn't mind having me as a guest and helping me with sighting in a few of my rifles that I have inherited? I am new to the rifle/zeroing game and would appreciate someone helping me. I am happy to buy lunch/pay for your time. I am using Vortex Crossfire Scopes. Thank you for your consideration.

Best,

Luke

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Assistance with Sighting In

I don't live in that area, but I can help you. Make sure your optics are mounted correctly. Check the manufacture website of your scope and/or mounts for torque values. If you plan on fooling with optics/firearms, it helps to have a torque wrench. Wheeler makes a tool for scopes https://www.homedepot.com/p/WHEELER-...3556/313210804 (as an example). Make sure you use one with inch/pounds not foot/pounds. If your scope is already level on your mount, you are OK. If not, you can use a tool like this to level easily (as long as you have a flat spot on your mount) https://arisakadefense.com/optic-leveler-small/ . The initial expense might be a put-off (especially if you don't have much disposable income). But, you'll use the tools often if you plan on messing around with firearms and optics.

Buy sight in targets at WalMart. They have one inch squares. Find your optic's turret adjustment (is one notch equal to 1/4 MOA, 1/2 MOA, or .1 Mil...or something similar). For the Crossfire 1-4, each click of the scope adjustment turret is equal to 1/2 MOA. That means that each click will (roughly) move your point of impact 1/2 inch at 100 yards. So, if you shoot at 100 yards, and are 4 inches high, you will want 8 clicks down (your scope turrets will only show "UP"...turn the opposite of "UP" direction). If you are totally missing the target, walk closer to the target, aim, and take a shot. See how far off you are from where you aimed to where the bullet impacted. If the impact is low, left, you'll want to adjust up and to the right (example).

It's not horribly complicated. I'll say something that may throw you off, but just trust what I'm saying. If you have to walk closer to the target to see where your bullet is impacting, try to approximate 25 yards (1/4 way to the target). At that range, you will have to make 4 times as many turns to adjust your scope for 100 yard zero. Example: If the round impacts 2 inches low at 100 yards with a scope with 1/2 MOA adjustment, you would have to make four clicks in the UP direction in order to align point of aim with point of impact. At 25 yards, with an impact 2 inches low, you would have to make 16 clicks of the turret in order to have to point of aim (approximately) align with point of impact. This will at least get you on paper so you can make actual adjustments at 100 yards.

Again, you only have to use the one inch squares to measure how far off you are, and then make the adjustment using the scopes MOA values. I generally shoot 3 shot groups to conserve ammo and then verify the adjustment with a 2nd 3 shot group.
    Last edited by Cville; January 26th, 2024 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lcm22754 View Post
    Hello,

I live in the Bethlehem Area and was wondering if anyone is a member to an outdoor 100 yard range that wouldn't mind having me as a guest and helping me with sighting in a few of my rifles that I have inherited? I am new to the rifle/zeroing game and would appreciate someone helping me. I am happy to buy lunch/pay for your time. I am using Vortex Crossfire Scopes. Thank you for your consideration.

Best,

Luke

If you are available on Saturday, I will be at the University Rifle club around 2:00. If it's raining we have a range under roof. PM me if you like.

Here is the address if you want to see how far away the club is. 590 Schoffers Rd. Exeter Pa. 19606 .
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Allegheny County)

There are quite a few youtube videos on rifle sight in.
    This particular video is for a previously sighted in rifle.

If it's off the paper, I would ( as posted previously), verify the optic is correctly mounted or start at 25 yards and reaffirm at 100.
    I lap my mounts for new installs but if the rifles you have are already previously fired, they may already be close.

https://youtu.be/TiOpQY2ORo4?si=VqvSMK9bzcXAwu0x
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    If you are available on Saturday, I will be at the University Rifle club around 2:00. If it's raining we have a range under roof. PM me if you like.

Here is the address if you want to see how far away the club is. 590 Schoffers Rd. Exeter Pa. 19606 .
    Could you please help me with my red dot? I don’t have membership with that club. I don’t mind paying if payment is required upon entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    I don't live in that area, but I can help you. Make sure your optics are mounted correctly. Check the manufacture website of your scope and/or mounts for torque values. If you plan on fooling with optics/firearms, it helps to have a torque wrench.
    This can't be stressed enough, a buddy came with me once to sight in a new AR he bought. He went to sight it in and I went over to the pistol range, about 45 minutes later I come over and he's still messing with it and the gun shooting all over the place. I picked it up, touched the scope and sure enough it had play in it and wiggled loose. You'll never get a gun sighted in if the scope isn't properly secured.

Quote Originally Posted by ar556 View Post
    Could you please help me with my red dot? I don*t have membership with that club. I don*t mind paying if payment is required upon entry.
    Send me a PM and we can meet up. A guest fee is required. I would be glad to help you out.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.