Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Air rifle questions in PA

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I had considered getting a Gamo direct from their website.
    They had a bunch of refurbs or blems for amazing prices.
    Just decided it was a want and not a need, so I didn't order it.
    Same here, that’s what got me to asking. But even their regular prices aren’t much more than a. Good pair of work boots and I figure a good quality air rifle would last quite a bit longer than a pair of Wolverines or Carolinas, as good as they are

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    Purchase away. The web is the way to go. Pyramyd air is good one to look at. Air gun depot is another. Comes to your front door, no fuss.
    I second Pyramid Air as a great site to shop from. They've got a great selection of pretty much anything air gun related. If the OP is looking for in store generally places like Sportsman Warehouse and Rural King's have a moderate selection of air guns.

One of my favorite air guns is my SIG MCX replica - https://www.pyramydair.com/product/s...547549270ccc15

Mine has a red dot on it and super fun for just backyard plinking, being Co2 based it's not powerful enough to kill rodents though.

(Bucks County)

Fun fact, Pyramid and Airgundepot are both subsidiaries of the same company. And both are GTG for online orders.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 60clock View Post
    I live in a rural section of the Coal Region (Schuylkill, Lehigh, Carbon), we don’t even need to get our cars emission inspected, so I doubt there would be any municipal issues with an air rifle, but if there are, let me know.
    Can you leave your keys in your cars and your house doors unlocked?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Can you leave your keys in your cars and your house doors unlocked?
    I can do that here, but I'm not that stupid.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Gamos are great for the money. They also make a springer pistol that has 400 FPS. Got one for our youngest like 10 years ago. It's pretty cool even though it looks like a Star Wars blaster.

Also, it's made in Spain, not China.

https://www.amazon.com/Gamo-61110295.../dp/B00IQANCRO
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Delaware County)

Howdy,
    I've been down this road and live in a regulated area. IMO these local bans on air rifles are illegal for two reasons:

1) Caetano v. Massachusetts heard by the supreme court. Massachusetts had a stun gun ban, and a woman was arrested for having one.
    She wanted a non-lethal option to protect herself from her abusive baby-daddy. After concluding that the Massachusetts stun gun ban violates the Second Amendment, Justice Alito wrote: "if the fundamental right of self-defense does not protect Caetano, then the safety of all Americans is left to the mercy of state authorities who may be more concerned about disarming people than about keeping them safe".

2) Most local ordinances prohibit the possession of an airgun which is in violation of USC 15 5001: "...
    (g) Preemption of State or local laws or ordinances; exceptions
    The provisions of this section shall supersede any provision of State or local laws or ordinances which provide for markings or identification inconsistent with provisions of this section provided that no State shall*
    (i) prohibit the sale or manufacture of any look-alike, nonfiring, collector replica of an antique firearm developed prior to 1898, or
    (ii) prohibit the sale (other than prohibiting the sale to minors) of traditional B*B, paint ball, or pellet-firing air guns that expel a projectile through the force of air pressure.".

If the municipality can't prevent the sale, they can't prevent possession. 90% of the local laws ban possession as well as discharge, so are in violation of USC 15/5001.

The latest technology is PCP guns which have an integrated high pressure (3000+ PSI) air tank. These air guns are quieter and more accurate than spring loaded air rifles. They are good for 40 - 70 shots before needing a refill. However you need a fireman's air tank to fill it up. The accessories add $$ up quickly. Since many of these PCP guns have a pressure regulator, which insures exactly the same amount of air for each shot, the FPS is very close and the accuracy is impressive

Shipping: Walmart won't ship to zip codes with a ban, but Amazon will. Pyramyd Air is a very well respected website/company and has everything you would ever need; they will ship anywhere.

Squirrels: The UK is limited to airguns of 10 FtLbs of power and they have no issues taking out squirrels. The US has no such limitation, so accuracy is key.
    Between the eyes or between the eye and ear from the side is the most effective location. I can neither confirm nor deny that I once had a squirrel problem.

(York County)

In PA, I’ve heard airguns arent “firearms”, or regulated as such, as long as they are under .25 caliber, is that correct? The ones I’m interested in are .22 caliber, but I found that to be an interesting threshold. I know there are some pretty fancy air guns out there, but they wouldn’t be in my price range, at least not for new ones anyway.
    You have to know your township laws though

Air rifles are not firearms, but some townships treat them as firearms as far as what you are allowed to do with them

Like you can't discharge them within certain distance of occupied dwellings and stuff like that

Pretty sure the penalty for doing so isn't usually as severe as shooting a gun in your small townhome neighborhood, but there can still be laws about it

As far as buying them.... they sell them at Wal Mart and Tractor Supply and keep them unsecured on the store shelf. They are legal to purchase and own in PA with no restrictions

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    You have to know your township laws though

Air rifles are not firearms, but some townships treat them as firearms as far as what you are allowed to do with them

Like you can't discharge them within certain distance of occupied dwellings and stuff like that

Pretty sure the penalty for doing so isn't usually as severe as shooting a gun in your small townhome neighborhood, but there can still be laws about it

As far as buying them.... they sell them at Wal Mart and Tractor Supply and keep them unsecured on the store shelf. They are legal to purchase and own in PA with no restrictions
    Yeah, how would one find out the laws for this in their township, or would it be by county? I suppose if this is the case setting up an indoor shooting range for air rifles in one’s basement might be a big no no even though it’s safer than outdoor shooting. That seems pretty stupid.

(Bucks County)

Yeah, how would one find out the laws for this in their township, or would it be by county? I suppose if this is the case setting up an indoor shooting range for air rifles in one*s basement might be a big no no even though it*s safer than outdoor shooting. That seems pretty stupid.
    Municipality should have the ordinances posted on the website.

If your Municipality prohibits shooting your air rifle in your basement then don't invite them to your basement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast