Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: bayonet

(Cumberland County)

Default bayonet

Anyone know of any site that has reasonable priced bayonet to fit a trench style shotgun lug? I'm building a trench style shotgun from a Steven 620 I have and just need a bayonet. Not looking for the best, just something that will fit and look ok.
    Thanks!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Bucks County)

Default Re: bayonet

Bayonets are more specific than you think and the fitting of the bayonet lug to the barrel is important. So is the diameter of the shotgun barrel since they are not all the same.

What model bayonet do you think you need? Your best bet would be Ebay but shotgun bayonets are not as common so the prices are higher.

(Bucks County)

Depends on the bayonet lug. Most modern lugs fit the M7 M16 bayonet. The older trench gun lugs fit an M1917 bayonet.

In Vietnam they did also use M1917 bayonets. They are very cool but pricey. The Canadian arsenal versions had a better fit and finish than the General Cutlery ones. You can get a mint WWI original for less. I shoulda got one when they were $100.

https://www.keepshooting.com/us-m1917-bayonet-with-scabbard.html
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Elk County)

To elaborate on Delkal's post above, the Winchester 1897 and 1912 trench shotguns employed the long M1917 bayonet used on the US M1917 Enfield rifle. In any event, the bayonet mates to the bayonet mount that's attached underslung to the shotgun . The bayonet ring slides over a short circular "pilot" at the front of the mount, and the slot in the handle slides over the locking lug at the rear of the mount. The bayonet ring does not slide over the barrel.

Per Wikipedia entry for the M1917 Bayonet:

Weapons the M1917 Bayonet was used with:

M1917 rifle
    P14 rifle
    Winchester Model 1897 trench gun
    Winchester Model 1912 trench gun
    Stevens Model 520-30 trench gun
    Stevens Model 620 trench gun
    Remington Model 10 trench gun
    Ithaca Model 37 trench gun
    Winchester Model 1200 trench gun

HOWEVER, some Stevens trenchguns in VN had a bayonet mount that accepted the later M1 Rifle "M5" bayonet with rear-facing pin in the guard. So heed Delkal's caution.

Also, the M1905 and M1 bayonets for the M1903, M1903A3, and M1 Rifle has a different diameter ring and will NOT interchange with the M1917.

I suggest that you take the Stevens handguard/mount to the next gunshow(s) and visit vendors with knives/bayonets, asking to try either an M1917 or M5 (later Garand) bayonet to see what properly fits. The mount does not need to be installed on the shotgun to test fit a bayonet, but it's OK if it is.

Note that Chinesium repro trenchgun mounts will likely need fitting of the pilot and locking lug to get a given bayonet to "fix" and latch into place.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks guys, I'll do more research. I know the bayonet's I have for AR's, etc. - I believe M7's don't fit - the "hole" is too large. That M1917 looks more like it.
    Thanks!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"