Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (York County)

Default transporting firearms in a car...

Hi all,

Are there any PA laws pertaining to how you should transport firearms in a car? Let's say I'm going to the shooting range and have a gun and ammo with me. How do I need to transport them? I do not have a CCW license. Thanks.

Chris

Default Transport

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404
    Hi all,

Are there any PA laws pertaining to how you should transport firearms in a car? Let's say I'm going to the shooting range and have a gun and ammo with me. How do I need to transport them? I do not have a CCW license. Thanks.

Chris
    Any and all firearms have to be in a case of sorts, ammo should be in a different case. best is to place them in your trunk, if you have no trunk, minivan or station wagon, place a cover over them.

I use cases from http://www.casesgalore.com/ for my pistols and revolver.
    I generally use hard cases or soft for rifle and shotgun.

I keep my ammo in ammo boxes, you can generally find them on ebay or some military surplus. A good toolbox also works for this, what ever you do, do not store the gun in the same box as the ammo. IE: pacing my S&W .357 in a case leaves lots of room, say i kept a box of bullets or 2 in there would be a no no... I also generally keep my cleaning supplies in a case, mind you there is no law saying you have to keep cleaning supplies away from anything.
    Last edited by Frenchy; July 6th, 2006 at 10:35 PM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Luzerne County)

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.—
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.—The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded.

(Allegheny County)

What if you do have a LTCF. Is there any limits as to how you can transport in a car. For example, can you have a pistol sitting on your passenger seat? Either loaded or unloaded with the bullets beside it? Or even a rifle for that matter. I ask cause I sometimes(or not, depending on the outcome of my question) just throw the guns in with me when I go to the range. I'm not sure what the law is if you possess a CCW.

(Allegheny County)

if you have an LTCF, you can carry your handgun loaded in your car (even if not on the way to the range). it can be on your person...it can be on the seat next to you...whatever.

The same is not true for long guns, though. You cannot carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in you car even with an LTCF (or even if you are going to the range).

(York County)

Thanks for the letter of the law, Steve_in_PA!

Also, thanks for the other suggestions...

Chris

(York County)

Chris, why don't you get your CCP. very easy and its your right to carry and protect yourself. it will only cost you $19 for 5 years.

click the link for info.

http://ycwebserver.york-county.org/sheriff/Permit.htm

(York County)

Lee-online,

Thanks for the link. I've been considering getting my CCW permit for a while. My brother-in-law just got his. I think I will also.

I see you're in York Country also. What part? I'm just north of the city of York (Manchester Township). I shoot skeet over at York&Adams Game and Fish Assoc, and just joined Freedom Armory to shoot pistols indoors. I just purchased my first handgun (S&W 5946 LNIB from CDNN). I'm anxious to go try it out!

IM me sometime if you like.

Chris

Question Re: transporting firearms in a car...

OK, the more I read == well, I'm lost again; I'm reading that if you do not have a Carry License you can not Even transport in car At All? My son just wants to trunk it to the range (and doesn't yet have a CCW). Is this really against PA law? Sorry, I know this has been brought up over and over but now I'm confused Again. thanks for you help, really

Default Re: transporting firearms in a car...

Quote Originally Posted by Assault Manager View Post
    OK, the more I read == well, I'm lost again; I'm reading that if you do not have a Carry License you can not Even transport in car At All? My son just wants to trunk it to the range (and doesn't yet have a CCW). Is this really against PA law? Sorry, I know this has been brought up over and over but now I'm confused Again. thanks for you help, really
    No, this is legal, provided he goes directly to and from the range. In fact, the gun does not even need to be in the trunk. It can be on his person as long as it is unloaded. Hope that helps!
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast