Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Emergency weather hand crank radios

Anyone actually have and use one of these? I have never even seen one and have no idea if they are worthwhile or just crap.

I have been traveling to more remote areas of the country and thought it might be a good idea to have one for "just in case".

So, are they a good idea or not? If so, what brand names/models are good quality?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Emergency weather hand crank radios

Quote Originally Posted by DRB View Post
    Anyone actually have and use one of these? I have never even seen one and have no idea if they are worthwhile or just crap.

I have been traveling to more remote areas of the country and thought it might be a good idea to have one for "just in case".

So, are they a good idea or not? If so, what brand names/models are good quality?
    Never heard of it. What band(s) do you want to use? There are small solar generators that fold up small that will recharge a phone or radio but I think it will take some time.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

Most of them advertise AM/FM/NOAA, in addition to other assorted stuff that likely isn't worth the effort. Here's just one example on Amazon, where there are many listed:

https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Rad...s%2C100&sr=8-6

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by DRB View Post
    Most of them advertise AM/FM/NOAA, in addition to other assorted stuff that likely isn't worth the effort. Here's just one example on Amazon, where there are many listed:

https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Rad...s%2C100&sr=8-6

This one from Amazon looks pretty good, it already has multiple power sources.
    You mention "remote", so you might want to Google for reviews on sensitivity
    for good reception.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Bucks County)

My sons needed to put together a family emergency kit for their Emergency Preparedness merit badge which had to include a crank radio. This is the one I got. It should fill your needs and it's very compact.

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Vers...dp/B01MFCFKG5/

Emergency Hand Crank Radio with LED Flashlight for Emergency, AM/FM NOAA Portable Weather Radio with 2000mAh Power Bank Phone Charger, USB Charged & Solar Power for Camping, Emergency

Radio.jpg

(Northumberland County)

I have one in my kit. Tested when i got it, works, test periodically but that's about it. Lot of cranking, but it's fine for an emergency and does what it should. Will try to check brand later

(Wayne County)

I've got a 20+ year old hand crank, weather, am/fm, shortwave radio from Radio Shack.

It is wonderful. I used to use it frequently for weather reports from NWS in the days before internet on phones. Plus, having the shortwave was great for listening to news reports you could never hear here in the US.

I used to carry a pocket-sized, transistor radio-type NWS weather radio, from Radio Shack as well. I kept that with me when I was travelling around for work in my early 20s, as I typically didn't have a TV for local weather. The damned thing even worked out in the middle of the Bering Sea, when I was working on fishing boats. I could always keep up on the marine forecast while out fishing. It was battery operated, though. But, I used rechargable AAs and never had to worry about running out of power. Even when I was in Peace Corps, I had a solar AA charger and six sets of AAs. A MUCH better way to go than hand crank!

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36452161205...a4e961b9ff421c
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Clearfield County)

If I were to get one I would definitely want the short wave option.

(Allegheny County)

I had a few hand crank flashlights for emergencies, but after a few (5-7?) years they didn't seem to be able to charge the light any more.

They were not "name brand", and I can't say what the issue was. I pitched them.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I had a few hand crank flashlights for emergencies, but after a few (5-7?) years they didn't seem to be able to charge the light any more.

They were not "name brand", and I can't say what the issue was. I pitched them.
    They have internal batteries that the crank charges up, you need to regularly charge them or they go bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast