Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Post Help, Can I transfer PSA AK-V 9mm as an alternative to the high priced 7.62x39?

As the title goes, I am interested in adding a cheaper alternative to the 7.62x39 and was wondering if I could get a PSA AK-V transferred over to me from an FFL.
    I looked up the SBR rule and it looks like there was an injunction and the rule was discarded and I don't see any state restrictions on PSA or other sites. I guess that the AKV pistol should be transferred since there aren't any laws affecting it at the moment.
    Can someone from here chime in and shed some light on this topic, please? The FFL I went to isn't any help and seems as lost as I was lols.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Berks County)

Default Re: Help, Can I transfer PSA AK-V 9mm as an alternative to the high priced 7.62x39?

You could always just have the current owner remove the brace and just do a 'regular' pistol sale/transfer to avoid issues.

Now, if that owner made an NFA filing during the 'grace/free/amnesy' period, then it's in the NFA registry. There will be some disagreement on this topic, but I would not want to risk buying an NFA registered item without a Form 4. Many will say if an SBR is made back into a pistol, it's fine to treat it like a pistol. ATF says that and does not require notification for that, but, it's still in the registry. Makes the waters a little murky.

If that's the case, maybe just buy a new one without a brace.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Help, Can I transfer PSA AK-V 9mm as an alternative to the high priced 7.62x39?

It is a new one from PSA and hoping I can get more information. I don't even mind putting in the application with the $200 tax stamp at this point. It still beats the 7.62x39 price.

(Bucks County)

I think those stocks are considered braces, so as of today it's legal without being an SBR.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Wyoming County)

I lost track of where the brace rule stands.

Seems to me it was at least shot down in certain Federal Districts (5th?).

At a minimum, you should be able to purchase the AK-V without brace and have it transferred through an FFL. If your current FFL doesn't know how it might be a good idea to find a new one.

Whether you decide to purchase a brace separately, or SBR it is your business
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by AlexluvsAKs View Post
    It is a new one from PSA and hoping I can get more information. I don't even mind putting in the application with the $200 tax stamp at this point. It still beats the 7.62x39 price.
    If it's a new one, then it's fine. If they were sill classified as NFA, ATF would be all over dealers like PSA like white on rice.

I had a similar experience when I bought my Mossberg Shockwave a few years back. My regular FFL (old timer) was worried. I just called another shop and they were fine with it. If your FFL is confused or worried, just find another one.

(Monroe County)

Currently, it's back to being a braced pistol and I would transfer it as such.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Currently, it's back to being a braced pistol and I would transfer it as such.
    Only problem is....many dealers are not up to date on this stuff, and may be leary or just outright refuse to transfer one.

(Centre County)

If your dealer hasn't been following what is going on and he has a good size business or does a lot of transfers then I would look for a new FFL. This has been going on long enough that people in the business should know and/or be keeping up on it as that affects their livelyhood.

Yes, it is currently back to being just pistols with a brace and they are legal to transfer at this time. Place your order for one with PSA and have it shipped to an FFL who knows what is going on.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Wayne County)

Thanks, I reached out to other FFLs in the area and they are willing to transfer. It's an older guy and I guess he is stuck in his ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast