Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default any advice on 6.8mm SPC II

Most of the ammo with online retailers is SPC, it does not say SPC II. Is the 'II' just the chamber difference or does it have to do with ammo, too? Is there a green tip counterpart in 6.8mm?

Any advice on the high end manufacturers other than LWRC?

Default Re: any advice on 6.8mm SPC II

SPC II refers to the chamber difference. A correction to the reamer specs that Remington originally used. You can shoot any 6.8 SPC ammo out of an SPC II chambered rifle. However, if you try to shoot SAAMI spec 6.8 SPC ammo out of an SPC chambered gun, you may experience higher pressures and other ammo issues. The fix is to get an SPC II reamer and in 10 min, you're all set. Or just get a gun with a SP II chamber. My Ruger Mini 14 in 6.8 had an SPC chamber. I used a reamer to cut the chamber to SPC II. Being a Mini it's not super accurate, so I don't run anything special out of it. I spent a few years buying 6.8 SPC ammo when it was cheap. Mostly PPU and Sellier & Bellot stuff. I do have a case of Silver State Armory floating around, plus a bunch of reloads that my dad made when he had a Ruger Hawkeye in 6.8 SPC. He sold that thing for a pretty penny.

Personally, if you don't own a 6.8 SPC gun, don't bother. It's kind of gone stale. Sure there are companies still making guns and ammo, but not nearly what there were 15 years ago. And the price on ammo just keeps going up.

(Chester County)

I didn’t know SPC was gone stale. Isn’t it the new gun for military under NGSW program? Correct me if I’m wrong.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar556 View Post
    I didn*t know SPC was gone stale. Isn*t it the new gun for military under NGSW program? Correct me if I*m wrong.
    do you mean the 277 Sig Fury? that is 6.8x51

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    do you mean the 277 Sig Fury? that is 6.8x51
    No. I mean 6.8x43mm.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar556 View Post
    No. I mean 6.8x43mm.
    yeah the military gave up on that and went with the 277 fury.

"Military and law enforcement adoption
    By late 2004 the 6.8×43mm SPC was said to be performing well in the field against enemy combatants in special operations. However the cartridge was not used by conventional US military personnel. It was not adopted for widespread use due to resistance from officials.[19] The 6.8 SPC was designed for better terminal effectiveness at the shorter ranges of urban combat experienced in Iraq. When fighting in Afghanistan began to intensify, engagements began taking place at greater distances, where the 6.8 SPC begins to falter. Experiments suggested that the comparatively short 6.8 mm bullets became ineffective at longer ranges.[20] In 2007, both the U.S. SOCOM and the U.S. Marine Corps decided not to field weapons chambered in 6.8 mm due to logistical and cost issues.[21]

In April 2022, after enduring over 100 technical tests and firing more than 1.5 million rounds, the Army awarded a contract to Sig Sauer to produce the Next Generation Squad Weapon * or NGSW * XM7 Rifle, XM250 Automatic Rifle and a 6.8mm family of ammunition to replace the M4A1 Carbine, M249 Squad Automatic Weapon and 5.56mm family of ammunition within the close combat force.[22]"

Sig Wins NGSW System Contract with 6.8x51
    https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...ontract/459997
    Last edited by akley88; December 12th, 2023 at 12:27 PM.