Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Video: "M-16" blows up in kid's face

From youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1ly...eature=related

Now, being new to the AR myself, this is the kind of thing that I don't want to happen. From the layman's perspective, it looks like the kid changed a mag, the bolt/carrier got hung up when he tried to chamber, and instead of using the bolt forward assist, he kept slinging the charging handle.

So anyone wanna explain just what happened after that...and/or correct me if I'm wrong on my layman analysis?

Edit: On second glance, it does look like he is slamming the forward assist.
    Last edited by CarolinaGuy; November 28th, 2008 at 03:58 PM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Video: "M-16" blows up in kid's face

it was probably a squib round that didnt get powder loaded into it, the primer is enough to push the bullet into the barrel thats why it took a couple of times to get the next round chambered enough for the hammer to hit the firing pin. thats why you always look in the barrel if a round dont go off.

I'm no expert on AR's, I shoot them sometimes but don't actually own one YET. I don't believe that it was the bolt/carrier group that got hung up. The first time that it happened, there was a round in the chamber and you could hear "click". He then ejected a round and tried to chamber another one. When he did this, it appear the bolt didn't want to go into full battery so he kept hitting the forward assist. He then ejected that round and did the same procedure again; he does it like 3 or 4 times. It appear to me that there was maybe a squib, possibly just a very small puff from a primer.

It looked like there was a reason that the round wouldn't go all the way into the chamber, which kept the bolt from going into battery. I think that after enough jamming of the forward assist, he finally got that bullet in there far enough to get the bolt into battery. When he did that, because of the barrel obstruction the gas couldn't go anywhere, and BOOM! ALOT of gas was vented down through the chamber and down through the magazine, it totally blew up (plastic). You could see just little shards of it left in the mag well. Either way, I believe that the problem was caused because there was barrel obstruction.

(Luzerne County)

This has been done already.

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/128...aught-vid.html

And is a great example of why you never, ever, ever use the jam-assist button.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie