Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Cigar aficionado's?

Any cigar experts out there? I bought a box of these for the upcoming birth of my first and probably only grandchild I'll obviously let the Dad be the first to give out cigars, but then I wanted to at some point
    Has anyone tried these? Any good? I like milder cigars when I occasionally enjoy one and have liked some bourbon/Whiskey fermented cigars in the past.
    Thanks!

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Cigar aficionado's?

I'm no aficionado, I've been smoking regularly cigars for under two years. I haven't tried the Pappy Van Winkles, they are a bit too pricey for me. Drew Estate has a solid reputation for quality cigars. Their handmade, premium cigars are rolled in Esteli, Nicaragua, one of the top tobacco growing regions in Central America. Drew Estate also produces infused cigars, which are flavored in numerous varieties, but the cigars you have are not infused, rather, the tobacco leaves (probably the wrappers) are fermented in bourbon barrels for some time. They probably will not have an overt bourbon taste, but you may pick up some notes as you smoke them. However, picking up on some of the notes from a cigar is an acquired skill. I rarely experience the notes, tastes, or flavors suggested in a cigar's write-up by experts.

That being said, the write-up for the Pappy Van Winkle say it is rolled with Nicaraguan and Dominican long-fillers, with an Indonesion binder, and an Ecuadorian Habano Oscuro wrapper, and is a medium-plus strength cigar. It may not be suited to very new, or non-smokers, but Habano Oscuro wrappers are usually pretty smooth. Habano wrappers are harvested from Cuban seeded plants grown in Ecuador or Nicaragua, and are usually a darkish brown with some reddish, but the process of fermenting and aging in barrels can produce the Oscuro wrapper, which is darker still, on towards black even, and adds some strength.

BTW, congratulations on the grandbaby on the way! Enjoy the smokes, you deserve it!
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

I don't jump around with cigar's like I do beer. Rocky patel and lars tetens. Atlantic cigars I find have the cheapest prices.
    And they are based in norristown. https://atlanticcigar.com/
    FJB

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    I'm no aficionado, I've been smoking regularly cigars for under two years. I haven't tried the Pappy Van Winkles, they are a bit too pricey for me. Drew Estate has a solid reputation for quality cigars. Their handmade, premium cigars are rolled in Esteli, Nicaragua, one of the top tobacco growing regions in Central America. Drew Estate also produces infused cigars, which are flavored in numerous varieties, but the cigars you have are not infused, rather, the tobacco leaves (probably the wrappers) are fermented in bourbon barrels for some time. They probably will not have an overt bourbon taste, but you may pick up some notes as you smoke them. However, picking up on some of the notes from a cigar is an acquired skill. I rarely experience the notes, tastes, or flavors suggested in a cigar's write-up by experts.

That being said, the write-up for the Pappy Van Winkle say it is rolled with Nicaraguan and Dominican long-fillers, with an Indonesion binder, and an Ecuadorian Habano Oscuro wrapper, and is a medium-plus strength cigar. It may not be suited to very new, or non-smokers, but Habano Oscuro wrappers are usually pretty smooth. Habano wrappers are harvested from Cuban seeded plants grown in Ecuador or Nicaragua, and are usually a darkish brown with some reddish, but the process of fermenting and aging in barrels can produce the Oscuro wrapper, which is darker still, on towards black even, and adds some strength.

BTW, congratulations on the grandbaby on the way! Enjoy the smokes, you deserve it!
    Would echo ROCKIT. Not familiar with the Pappy cigars, but Drew makes good, affordable stuff.... I smoke their Acid blondies. A coworker actually came from Swisher, their parent company. He put me on to their Tabak offering (coffee infused). I'm no aficionado either, just know what I like.

And congrats!

(Allegheny County)

Drew Estates does a lot with adding flavor to their cigars but not in the cheap gas station way, so the leaves. should still be quality.

(Monroe County)

Can't go wrong with Rocky Patel but those Drews should be good, I wonder if they were kept in Pappy Van Winkle bourbon bbls. If so I got to try one I would bet they are a tasty smoke.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

I could never like an acid cigar. I tried them once and that was it for me. He copied them off of lars tetens,
    as he used to work for him. I stuck with lars over the years. Yes some are not so good, but I found the ones I really like,
    and I figured out the perfect temp/humidity for them. Also, lars aren't "flavored" cigars, they are "conditioned" if that makes a difference.
    I'm on my last batch of phat brief xtc 6x50
    FJB

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Can't go wrong with Rocky Patel but those Drews should be good, I wonder if they were kept in Pappy Van Winkle bourbon bbls. If so I got to try one I would bet they are a tasty smoke.
    In my experience, Rocky Patels are usually very good, but are also usually very overpriced.

(Cumberland County)

Great info. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Cumberland County)

Thanks all. I have had Acid cigars in the past and enjoyed them (Juicy Lucy's, Blondie, Kuba Kuba) and enjoyed them, especially the Juicy Lucy's. I figured seeing these were Pappy and Drew Estate they would be good. A little pricey for me to just buy for shits and giggles but wanted a decent one to give out - I bought some announcement rings to put on them too
    Thanks again - baby is due mid-January so once I fire one up, I'll try to remember to post about them!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast