Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: What 22LR pistol would you buy next?

Love this thing.

FJB

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Love this thing.

Wanna buy another? Lol. The wife's is just "ok". If I could do again, I'd have bought the Ruger instead.

(Chester County)

My Sig Mosquito is great for marksmanship training and plinking. Although, she would kill easy enough if I carried her for self-defense.

When new, she would only cycle CCI-high velocity. Although, now she's broke-in and takes anything I feed her... sexual innuendo notwithstanding.

(Butler County)

A FN 502 with a can and a red dot is a lot of fun. A snubbie 22 make for a nice carrying around gun. A full size revolver is good to have. A S&W 41 is a sweet shooter. The list goes on and on. If I had to choose just one it would be the FN.

(Lebanon County)

smith k-22
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    A Hammerli SP-20 has been a Grail Gun for me for ages But I'd settle for an Xesse. For revolvers right now I'm tossing between a S&W 63 which I could use also fr training wife and daughter since J frame fits them better or a 4" bbl S&W Model 617 which I have holsters (K frames are K frames) for and would only need speed loaders.
    A used Sig Trailside has been on my radar for a long time. I wish I would have bought one new when I had the chance. Hammerli makes a nice .22

(Jefferson County)

Meh... If I do buy a .22 handgun, it will likely be a Ruger Mk IV.

I already have (3) .22 revolvers, (1) .22 derringer, (1) .22 singleshot pistol, and (6) .22 rifles. ...I don't need another .22 at all. lol
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Meh... If I do buy a .22 handgun, it will likely be a Ruger Mk IV.

I already have (3) .22 revolvers, (1) .22 derringer, (1) .22 singleshot pistol, and (6) .22 rifles. ...I don't need another .22 at all. lol
    I think everyone should own a Ruger Mk pistol at some point. I have two Mk III 22/45 pistols. But I like my TX22, P17, and CP33 more. More rounds = more fun when it comes to .22lr.

(Elk County)

May I present for consideration the best .22 semiautomatic that nobody wants to buy:

The S&W 422 / 622:

The 422/622 was available in 4" and 6" barrel lengths and with either fixed or adjustable rear sight. Some variants had black polymer grips. Two other models, the 2213 and 2214 had 3" barrels.

Produced from 1987 to 1996, the Model 422 was the company's entry into the lucrative mid-priced rimfire pistol market. This niche was at the time dominated by Sturm Ruger's highly successful Mk I and Mk II series of pistols. The 422 retailed for roughly $250 before it was discontinued in 1996.

Along with all the variants listed below, a unique design feature of the 422 was the fact that the barrel resided in a low position in the frame just above the trigger guard. The barrel is non-moving and fixed to the frame. It came threaded from the factory, but the "barrel nut" was used to affix the barrel to the frame. This made this pistol line perfect for use with a suppressor with an aftermarket adapter since the sights could still be utilized.

The bolt assembly, which comprised the top rearward portion of the pistol, moved behind as well as above the axis of the barrel and resembled an L shape. The recoil spring was contained in the portion above the bolt, which also housed the firing pin. Above the barrel was a large frame lug, which gave the gun a pleasing look of constant width and depth from the trigger guard forward to the muzzle, while also serving as a solid block for the bolt to hit against when the recoil spring returned the bolt to battery. The low bore axis served to greatly reduce muzzle jump, and served to allow the fitting of a suppressor without losing the use of the factory sights.

The grip angle was partly fixed by the angle of the S&W Model 41 magazine, which the 422/622 shares, and it is extremely close to the grip angle of the 1911. This is in contrast to the more Luger-like grip angle of the Ruger Mark I, II, III, and IV pistols.

Variants:

S&W 622: Same alloy frame and barrel length options as the 422 but in a silver colored frame with a stainless steel slide.
    S&W 622VR: Same as the regular 622 but has a ventilated rib (VR) cut in the frame above the barrel. Made only in 1996 in limited numbers. Some made in Houlton Maine have a painted silver frame instead of anodized.
    S&W 2206: Both the frame and the slide are stainless steel. That makes this model noticeably heavier than the alloy frames of the 422 and 622.
    S&W 2213: Short-barrel version (3-inch) of the 622. Also uses silver alloy frame and stainless steel slide. 8-round flush box magazine. The 10- and 12-round magazine of the full size works as well, but will extend from the bottom of the grip.
    S&W 2214: Short-barrel version (3-inch) of the 422 with blued alloy frame and blued slide. 8-round flush box magazine. The 10- and 12-round magazine of the full size works as well, but will extend from the bottom of the grip.

In my personal experience, the 422/622 pistols that I either owned or still own had excellent trigger pulls and were nearly as accurate, if not AS accurate, as my 7-3/8" 1960s-vintage S&W Model 41, and the accuracy and the ease of mounting a suppressor makes them a steal at today's market prices. Magazines were either 10 or 12 rd depending on when made, and in what state a given example was originally sold. The only real downside to the 422/622/2213/2214 is that the factory firing pins were brittle and prone to chipping of the tip, or breaking altogether. Fortunately EWK Arms makes a $29 aftermarket firing pin of properly heat treated alloy for improved "toughness" that does not fracture:

https://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/index.p...products_id=12

EWK also make the suppressor adapter in either blued steel or SS.

These pistols are real sleepers, folks.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    May I present for consideration the best .22 semiautomatic that nobody wants to buy:

The S&W 422 / 622:

The 422/622 was available in 4" and 6" barrel lengths and with either fixed or adjustable rear sight. Some variants had black polymer grips. Two other models, the 2213 and 2214 had 3" barrels.

Produced from 1987 to 1996, the Model 422 was the company's entry into the lucrative mid-priced rimfire pistol market. This niche was at the time dominated by Sturm Ruger's highly successful Mk I and Mk II series of pistols. The 422 retailed for roughly $250 before it was discontinued in 1996.

Along with all the variants listed below, a unique design feature of the 422 was the fact that the barrel resided in a low position in the frame just above the trigger guard. The barrel is non-moving and fixed to the frame. It came threaded from the factory, but the "barrel nut" was used to affix the barrel to the frame. This made this pistol line perfect for use with a suppressor with an aftermarket adapter since the sights could still be utilized.

The bolt assembly, which comprised the top rearward portion of the pistol, moved behind as well as above the axis of the barrel and resembled an L shape. The recoil spring was contained in the portion above the bolt, which also housed the firing pin. Above the barrel was a large frame lug, which gave the gun a pleasing look of constant width and depth from the trigger guard forward to the muzzle, while also serving as a solid block for the bolt to hit against when the recoil spring returned the bolt to battery. The low bore axis served to greatly reduce muzzle jump, and served to allow the fitting of a suppressor without losing the use of the factory sights.

The grip angle was partly fixed by the angle of the S&W Model 41 magazine, which the 422/622 shares, and it is extremely close to the grip angle of the 1911. This is in contrast to the more Luger-like grip angle of the Ruger Mark I, II, III, and IV pistols.

Variants:

S&W 622: Same alloy frame and barrel length options as the 422 but in a silver colored frame with a stainless steel slide.
    S&W 622VR: Same as the regular 622 but has a ventilated rib (VR) cut in the frame above the barrel. Made only in 1996 in limited numbers. Some made in Houlton Maine have a painted silver frame instead of anodized.
    S&W 2206: Both the frame and the slide are stainless steel. That makes this model noticeably heavier than the alloy frames of the 422 and 622.
    S&W 2213: Short-barrel version (3-inch) of the 622. Also uses silver alloy frame and stainless steel slide. 8-round flush box magazine. The 10- and 12-round magazine of the full size works as well, but will extend from the bottom of the grip.
    S&W 2214: Short-barrel version (3-inch) of the 422 with blued alloy frame and blued slide. 8-round flush box magazine. The 10- and 12-round magazine of the full size works as well, but will extend from the bottom of the grip.

In my personal experience, the 422/622 pistols that I either owned or still own had excellent trigger pulls and were nearly as accurate, if not AS accurate, as my 7-3/8" 1960s-vintage S&W Model 41, and the accuracy and the ease of mounting a suppressor makes them a steal at today's market prices. Magazines were either 10 or 12 rd depending on when made, and in what state a given example was originally sold. The only real downside to the 422/622/2213/2214 is that the factory firing pins were brittle and prone to chipping of the tip, or breaking altogether. Fortunately EWK Arms makes a $29 aftermarket firing pin of properly heat treated alloy for improved "toughness" that does not fracture:

https://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/index.p...products_id=12

EWK also make the suppressor adapter in either blued steel or SS.

These pistols are real sleepers, folks.

Noah
    I love the S&W 422/622. Wish I had bought one when they were new. Kinda forgot about them when they were cheap. Now they're not as cheap as I'd like for a single stack, finicky .22lr pistol.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast