Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    next to my neighbor, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    13,520
    Rep Power
    21474867

    Default Anybody collect coins?

    My dad got this in his change a couple weeks ago. It's a zinc plated steel penny. Great condition.
    He gave me a copper 1943 penny yesterday to look at. Ended up being a defaced 1948.

    FJB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NEPA, Pennsylvania
    (Wyoming County)
    Posts
    2,320
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: Anybody collect coins?

    I think that I have a couple. The story I heard was copper was in short supply due to the bullet demands of WWII that they changed the composition of the penny?
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Posts
    3,145
    Rep Power
    21474850

    Default Re: Anybody collect coins?

    Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    My dad got this in his change a couple weeks ago. It's a zinc plated steel penny. Great condition.
    He gave me a copper 1943 penny yesterday to look at. Ended up being a defaced 1948.

    Bet that was good for a quick rush until you found out it was fake...
    Last edited by gghbi; November 28th, 2023 at 01:51 AM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    next to my neighbor, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    13,520
    Rep Power
    21474867

    Default Re: Anybody collect coins?

    Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Bet that was good for a quick rush until you found out it was fake...
    Ive known about the penny for years, even dad said it might be a fake. I finally go to see it for myself. We dont have that type of luck in my family.
    He does have a ton of coins that he's been collecting for years. I said dad, lets take them to the coin place up the street and cash them in,
    you cant take them with you, and us kids would rather see you with the money so you can enjoy the rest of your life.
    He'll never do it, just like the 62 metropolitian in his garage since 1970 that he said he was going to sell.
    FJB

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Douglassville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    11,715
    Rep Power
    21474859

    Default Re: Anybody collect coins?

    Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Ive known about the penny for years, even dad said it might be a fake. I finally go to see it for myself. We dont have that type of luck in my family.
    He does have a ton of coins that he's been collecting for years. I said dad, lets take them to the coin place up the street and cash them in,
    you cant take them with you, and us kids would rather see you with the money so you can enjoy the rest of your life.
    He'll never do it, just like the 62 metropolitian in his garage since 1970 that he said he was going to sell.
    Me neither so I always presume the worst.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey
    Posts
    2,239
    Rep Power
    17586545

    Default Re: Anybody collect coins?

    Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I think that I have a couple. The story I heard was copper was in short supply due to the bullet demands of WWII that they changed the composition of the penny?
    Yes. And they made nickels with a silver blend in 1945 to save nickel.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey
    Posts
    2,239
    Rep Power
    17586545

    Default Re: Anybody collect coins?

    A 1948 penny should be copper, unless someone added a custom coating.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NEPA...Lake Wallenpaupack, Pennsylvania
    (Wayne County)
    Posts
    811
    Rep Power
    21474850

    Default Re: Anybody collect coins?

    Been collecting coins for over 45 years. A copper 1943 penny does exist, but rare as all get out. 1909 S VDB is needed for every collector.
    Small hand made batches of beef jerky...Mountain Meats and More on Face Book

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)
    Posts
    413
    Rep Power
    21474854

    Default Re: Anybody collect coins?

    Quote Originally Posted by father-of-five View Post
    Yes. And they made nickels with a silver blend in 1945 to save nickel.
    I think it was 43-45 nickels had a 45% silver content...
    Let's go Brandon!!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Delco, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Posts
    115
    Rep Power
    13091256

    Default Re: Anybody collect coins?

    In cleaning out my Dad's stuff after he passed, we found an old cast coin bank.
    It was a replica of the Liberty Bell.
    It had quite a few pennies in it.
    I think the pennies added up to about $ 1.25.
    After sorting them and writing all the dates down and going through the web to get the values we ended up with a windfall total of about $ 1.30.

    Later my Mom quietly gave me two gold coins she had stashed away somewhere.
    They were from a Vegas casino !!
    God Bless the American Armed Forces, Thank You All.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •