Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Berks County)

Default Re: 🤔 'My Christmas tree tried to kill me'

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Animal blood (deer blood) makes my hands/arms itch when cleaning/gutting.
    i have a friend that has that issue as well. its an annoying allergy

Quote Originally Posted by GOYABEAN View Post
    Human blood doesn't have that effect Attachment 170905
    I would hope not, since you're filled with it.
    iAnal

(Lehigh County)

Among other things neverous.gif

(Elk County)

Christmas Tree Syndrome is a thing, and it's not new.

When I was a kid in the '60s, every year like clockwork a few days after my parents got a tree, I'd develop a cold that turned into bronchitis. Every. Year. Then when I was in 4th grade (Dec '63 IIRC), I developed double pneumonia and spent 1-1/2 wks in the hospital. Family Dr. decided to do allergy tests the following Feb after I recovered. The needle scratches for coniferous tree extract swelled up on my back the size of silver dollars and about 1/4" high with histamine. Juniper was the worst. The following Christmas we had an aluminum tinsel "pom-pom" tree with green floodlamps shining on it. No more seasonal bronchitis from 15DEC to 7JAN. The annual Christmas bronchitis is the reason that I really can't stand the Christmas season, music, hubbub, decorations, etc.; 60 yrs later I still have flashbacks, and deal with annual mini-depression on account of it. Christmas wasn't a fun time for this kid.

And to this day I can't trim juniper shrubs without hitting the albuterol multiple times afterward.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    The annual Christmas bronchitis is the reason that I really can't stand the Christmas season, music, hubbub, decorations, etc.; 60 yrs later I still have flashbacks, and deal with annual mini-depression on account of it.
    May I recommend a liquid antidote and non-toxic environment.
    Take as often as needed.

(Elk County)

I realize that's in jest, but I can't find it in me to laugh. I recall when I was three, coughing until I puked, and having a fever so high that everything in sight seemed to be moving slowly or melting. I felt like I was "flowing out flat" myself. Today when I watch TV or a video where the image is slowly creeping forward, I have a flashback. Had the same melting sensation with the opportunistic sinus infection secondary to Covid the first time I had the Wuhan-Fauci flu.

Another not so fond memory is Vicks rubbed on my chest and a cloth diaper pinned inside my PJ top. To this day I can't stand the odor of Vicks.

Having a bit of anxiety right now. Gotta stop writing. And checking this thread.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Animal blood (deer blood) makes my hands/arms itch when cleaning/gutting.
    Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    i have a friend that has that issue as well. its an annoying allergy
    I'm allergic to cats and dogs. One year I broke out in a rash while field dressing a deer. Only lasted that year, thank goodness.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Bucks County)

I realize that's in jest, but I can't find it in me to laugh. I recall when I was three, coughing until I puked, and having a fever so high that everything in sight seemed to be moving slowly or melting. I felt like I was "flowing out flat" myself. Today when I watch TV or a video where the image is slowly creeping forward, I have a flashback. Had the same melting sensation with the opportunistic sinus infection secondary to Covid the first time I had the Wuhan-Fauci flu.

Another not so fond memory is Vicks rubbed on my chest and a cloth diaper pinned inside my PJ top. To this day I can't stand the odor of Vicks.

Having a bit of anxiety right now. Gotta stop writing. And checking this thread.

Noah
    I feel for you, Noah. I had the Vicks and diaper treatment many times. Come on down to Bucks County for Christmas with my 5 and 12-year-old grandkids and our three dogs. It's a zoo! You might develop a new anxiety but we'll cure this tree one.

Happy Thanksgiving!

(Bucks County)

Christmas Tree Syndrome is a thing, and it's not new.

When I was a kid in the '60s, every year like clockwork a few days after my parents got a tree, I'd develop a cold that turned into bronchitis. Every. Year. Then when I was in 4th grade (Dec '63 IIRC), I developed double pneumonia and spent 1-1/2 wks in the hospital. Family Dr. decided to do allergy tests the following Feb after I recovered. The needle scratches for coniferous tree extract swelled up on my back the size of silver dollars and about 1/4" high with histamine. Juniper was the worst. The following Christmas we had an aluminum tinsel "pom-pom" tree with green floodlamps shining on it. No more seasonal bronchitis from 15DEC to 7JAN. The annual Christmas bronchitis is the reason that I really can't stand the Christmas season, music, hubbub, decorations, etc.; 60 yrs later I still have flashbacks, and deal with annual mini-depression on account of it. Christmas wasn't a fun time for this kid.

And to this day I can't trim juniper shrubs without hitting the albuterol multiple times afterward.

Noah
    I sometimes get little red itchy dots on my skin from junipers and some conifers. That's the extent of my allergic reaction. Used to happen a lot when I worked as a landscaper as a kid.

My nose runs like a faucet a few weeks after the leaves fall off the trees, like right now. It's annoying but that's about it.

Also, I break out in eczema/contact dermatitis on my hands and arms from working on cars. If I don't catch it early, it festers into horribly itchy puss filled blisters similar to a bad case of poison ivy.

Had to go to a dermatologist for that. They aren't 100% sure what it is. She said they might have to take a pus sample from an inflamed blister to be sure. Yummy! She also said that sometimes it's nearly impossible to get under control. Once it's inflamed, just about everything makes it worse. Took a while to find the right stuff. Clobetasol propionate is the shit!

Glad I don't have any really serious allergies.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12