Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Killing Bears 2023

Howdy, Yinz!

Anybody else out trying to shoot bears this weekend?

Good luck & be safe!
    F*S=k

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Killing Bears 2023

🐻
    3 Places You’re Most Likely to Encounter a Bear in Pennsylvania This Fall

https://a-z-animals.com/blog/places-...nia-this-fall/

(Luzerne County)

Hunted Saturday in Luzerne County. Saw no bears. Heard about 4 shots. Didn*t hunt today. Going back out tomorrow.

(Bradford County)

As far as I'm concerned, the only way to effectively hunt bears are (1) the 'southern' method aka with dogs, (2) the 'canadian' method aka over bait, or (3) with a lot of guys putting on systematic drives. Only one of these methods is legal in PA and there usually aren't enough interested hunters around anymore. A lot of the old timers up here used to get together and put on big drives when I was a kid and were somewhat successful, but most of those guys are dead or near-dead now. I remember one of them (still kicking but half blind and losing it a bit) telling me that to hunt bears, everybody had to agree to ignore property lines. I think he was right.

I see bears out here all year round in my yard, but that's solely because of method #2, the 'bait' being my bird feeders. I've never eaten one but hear all kinds of various descriptions: it's tough and stringy, it's great, it's greasy etc. I'm not going to whack a whole bear to find out if I like it or not so I just stick with deer and turkeys - I know I like them!
    Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government.

Bears, We got em the night before trash goes out !

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by EFK View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, the only way to effectively hunt bears are (1) the 'southern' method aka with dogs, (2) the 'canadian' method aka over bait, or (3) with a lot of guys putting on systematic drives. Only one of these methods is legal in PA and there usually aren't enough interested hunters around anymore. A lot of the old timers up here used to get together and put on big drives when I was a kid and were somewhat successful, but most of those guys are dead or near-dead now. I remember one of them (still kicking but half blind and losing it a bit) telling me that to hunt bears, everybody had to agree to ignore property lines. I think he was right.

I see bears out here all year round in my yard, but that's solely because of method #2, the 'bait' being my bird feeders. I've never eaten one but hear all kinds of various descriptions: it's tough and stringy, it's great, it's greasy etc. I'm not going to whack a whole bear to find out if I like it or not so I just stick with deer and turkeys - I know I like them!
    I guess we’re pretty fortunate to have hooked up with a group of hunters over the years that still do method #3.

We’ve put on some big drives the last couple days. There is a missing hiker somewhere on the next mountain, so they’re stirring it up over there with dogs and SaR teams. We offered help, but they said for now they want to keep it scent-focused for their dogs. Sucks. I don’t think an unprepared old dude would’ve made it two nights in this cold. ::

(Allegheny County)

Old guy got found alive after a couple days. Apparently he suffered some sort of psychological breakdown.

But at least they found him.

(Bradford County)

Good to hear! A bunch of years ago we had to search for a guy late in the fall turkey season in the gamelands in back of me. Ended up finding him in the dark lying down, couldn't do much - some kind of diabetic thing. Very little consistent cell service out here which complicates things. Being stuck in the woods on a cold night unprepared is no laughing matter.
    Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by EFK View Post
    Good to hear! A bunch of years ago we had to search for a guy late in the fall turkey season in the gamelands in back of me. Ended up finding him in the dark lying down, couldn't do much - some kind of diabetic thing. Very little consistent cell service out here which complicates things. Being stuck in the woods on a cold night unprepared is no laughing matter.
    A satellite phone or emergency beacon would be good options for those who venture there.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Northampton County)

It appears many are loosing interest or getting too old for bear hunting. Pulled into the game lands around 0700 to find only one other truck. About 5 or so years ago we would show up and there would be at least 20 vehicles. Helped push a lot of bears around and we were pretty successful. Even during deer season seeing less hunters out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast