Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default IDPA in Western PA??

I have had a real interest in getting into IDPA but have been kinda backward about it. Is there any clubs or ranges in the Pittsburgh area that have IDPA that would be open to showing a new guy the ropes.
    Also, what would be a good "starter" pistol for IDPA? I can't really afford a top shelf piece but something middle of the road price wise would work.

Any thoughts welcome

mel

Default Re: IDPA in Western PA??

Quote Originally Posted by melD View Post
    I have had a real interest in getting into IDPA but have been kinda backward about it. Is there any clubs or ranges in the Pittsburgh area that have IDPA that would be open to showing a new guy the ropes.
    Also, what would be a good "starter" pistol for IDPA? I can't really afford a top shelf piece but something middle of the road price wise would work.

Any thoughts welcome

mel
    Get a hold of Bib here on the board here or Woody, they both do I dont Practice Anymore... IDPA Serious, I think they go to Ohio now mainly, but they know the places.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by melD View Post

Any thoughts welcome

mel
    You have to travel a bit for IDPA. Indiana PA (really Shelocta) first Saturday of month. Mason Dixon Rifle in Morgantown, WV also on first Saturday. START down 22/30 toward Weirton and across the river in Ohio near Mingo Junction, OH on 2nd Sunday(starts May), Hollidaysburg up near Altoona 3rd Saturday, Hancock County in Weirton 3rd Sunday. All are very nice people and would be glad to show you the ropes. Just let the Safety Officer and Match Director know you're new and have fun.

I would say most carry pistols 9mm and above would serve you well in IDPA. You could look for a new or a good used pistol. Besides 1911's, Glock dominates what most people shoot. S&W's new M&Ps are coming on. Springfield XDs as well which come with a holster and mag pouch. I've seen people shoot Sigs, S&W, Rugers, Berettas, Walthers, etc. and do very well. You usually want to get a full size or mid-size pistol, for instance in Glock in 9mm a 34, 17, 19, etc.

I don't know if Castlewood in New Castle is having IDPA this year. You can find all the clubs here. http://www.idpa.com/

If you don't want a nice drive there's a number of USPSA clubs in this area. Pitcairn Monroeville, Clairton, East Huntingdon, Airport Area Shooters, and a bit further out Castlewood. http://www.uspsa8.org/clubs.htm

Hope this helps. I shoot at all the IDPA clubs I listed and a few of the USPSA. Be glad to answer any questions.

(Lawrence County)

Castlewood likely won't play IDPA this year. Most local clubs have went to just USPSA with Pitcairn, East Huntingdon, Clairton, Castlewood, Pardoe and others running monthly matches. At Castlewood we typically got 3x+ the shooters for USPSA.

IDPA is still strong in Eastern OH, but in W. PA we tend to lean hard towards USPSA.

For entry level in both games the most versatile gun is a Glock34 or 35. If you have cash, the STI Eagle 2011 in .40 fits both games best.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Castlewood likely won't play IDPA this year. Most local clubs have went to just USPSA with Pitcairn, East Huntingdon, Clairton, Castlewood, Pardoe and others running monthly matches. At Castlewood we typically got 3x+ the shooters for USPSA.

IDPA is still strong in Eastern OH, but in W. PA we tend to lean hard towards USPSA.

For entry level in both games the most versatile gun is a Glock34 or 35. If you have cash, the STI Eagle 2011 in .40 fits both games best.
    So it sounds like USPSA is a little more common. And from what I've read so far, they sound very similar. Is it the same as what some clubs call "defensive pistol"? I know the Coraopolis Sportsmans has a defensive pistol night, but I never went because I didn't know anyone there and didn't know how welcome I would be. I am a member of that club, but I usually only go to the outdoor range when I have a day off thru the week and I kinda stay to myself.

Are any of the area clubs open to non-members for USPSA? Or can you easily join any of them? I know alot of clubs are private now or have a waiting list for new members.

Mel

(Allegheny County)

Mel your username says you're in Ambridge which means you're probably as close if not closer to START and Hancock County for IDPA than a couple of the USPSA ranges on Eastern side of Pittsburgh. BTW START also runs a steel shoot which is a lot of fun on the 4th Saturday of a month.

You don't have to be a member of a club to shoot either IDPA or USPSA in this area. After a match or two you should join the national membership of whatever discipline you decide to shoot.

IDPA is $35 a year, USPSA $40. This website is a real good explanation of the similarities and differences in the two games. http://www.craigcentral.com/idpaipsc.asp

I'd encourage you to try both. Both games are very good trigger time and a lot of fun. I shoot both of them. Clubs running combat shooting are probably close to these games.

If you have the time Saturday 3/24 you might want to take a trip over to East Huntingdon - they are holding a new shooter's class for USPSA/IPSC at 9:30AM. http://www.geocities.com/ehpsa/USPSAOR2007.htm East Huntingdon is near Mt. Pleasant. http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt...et+Map=Get+Map
    Last edited by dragonlibra; March 21st, 2007 at 05:50 PM.

(Lawrence County)

I shoot both games and I'm a Safety Officer/Match Director for IDPA and a Range Officer for USPSA.

There is some strange bias from some people that IDPA is more "Tactical" and "USPSA" is more for "gamers". Don't drink that Kool-Aid. Both are just games...they are NOT training (they will, however, help you shoot faster and more accurately).

In my opinion, IDPA focuses more on using cover and smaller scenarios. IDPA scenarios are usually written so everyone must shoot the stage the same way. Box stock guns only.

USPSA will have higher round counts and many times you can shoot the stage any way you want to.....within the description. It adds the ability to "solve the problem" better....and perhaps beat a better shooter because of it. Box stock guns have their own division and then you have the race guns.

I really enjoy shooting both. IDPA was less intimidating since you will never shoot inthe same squad as someone with a gun with a compensator, optics and 29 rounds in the mag. However, after you play the game a while you realize that you aren't competing against that guy (yet) and you just see how you're doing in your weapon division and skill level. When I began to relax a bit, I started to enjoy the problem solving more and I liked shooting 120 rounds a match versus 50.

Castlewood is running it's first USPSA match on 4-14-07. If you're new and want to try it, PM me and I'll put together a PFOA squad and we can all just focus on learning the game and being safe. I'm sure Roland could do the same thing at Pitcairn and I try to shoot that one every month as well.

http://www.castlewoodpistol.com/

IDPA matches at START and Hancock are both friendly to the new shooter. Just show up to shoot
    and tell them you are new, they will help you along. The steel shoots at START are the last Sat. of the
    month starting the 31st of this month, they are also newbie friendly. I will most likely be there.

(Lehigh County)

Unfortunately I am on call this weekend where I work and don't think they would appreciate me going out of the area and then having muffs on so I can't here my phone . I really would like to go to some kind of orientation or a match to observe.

Right now I do not have a pistol to compete with. But the tax refund is on the way and I want to make an educated decision when I go to purchase.

After doing some reading and watching the video on the USPSA site, I think that is more the sport I had in mind. It looks like the one I remember seeing on ESPN and the like and thinking " I want to do THAT".

(Lawrence County)

Well come up to Castlewood on the 14th and we'll let you run with a squad and shoot some guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast