Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default 🤔Yes, warming up your car before driving in cold weather can damage the engine

🤡 C'mon man you know the thing buy a solar panel🌞
    Excessive idling does not do anything positive for your engine’s long-term health.idk.gif

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/ve...d-d1d56006e5d9

(York County)

Default Re: 🤔Yes, warming up your car before driving in cold weather can damage the engine

I didn't click on the link, but I've been hearing and reading this for years and I think it makes sense.
    I remember my brother, a trained, licensed, and certified mechanic,
    would often tell me to let the engine warm up to at least 100 degrees before starting off.

Problem with that is it can take quite a long time for that to happen at an idle, and the oil pressure
    and flow rate might not be ideal while waiting.

I use the recommended 5w-20 full synthetic, maybe even 0w-20. I don't time it but the engine
    is running for probably 30 seconds before I take off. We should take it easy on the "go pedal"
    as it warms up.

Early fall is the time when I take care of any fluid changes, tires, wipers, etc. If it needs doing
    then that is my preferred time. Summer can be hard enough, winter even worse. At least we
    don't live in an area (PA) of the country where temps generally hover below 0F for months at
    a time.

GOYABEAN I don't know how many people could benefit from your OP but it is a good time to post it.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Bradford County)

Default Re: 🤔Yes, warming up your car before driving in cold weather can damage the engine

Some of it makes sense but since my 4runner is at 293k and still going strong, I ain't changing habits now.

Cutting back on wear to the engine by not warming up the cabin is going to increase wear on my sanity courtesy of my wife being cold.
    Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government.

Warming your car up can damage your engine in the sense that idling produces incomplete combustion. You idle when sitting in traffic or at a stop light. Blow out the creosote by driving in a spirited manner periodically.

The thing that he said, gas strips away lubricating oils, increasing friction, is just not true, so I'm going to assume nothing else he says is accurate.

After sitting, all the oil drains to the bottom. When it's cold oil is thicker, and it takes a bit longer to get things properly lubricated, so it's good to not set off right away.
    iAnal

Warming your car up can damage your engine in the sense that idling produces incomplete combustion. You idle when sitting in traffic or at a stop light. Blow out the creosote by driving in a spirited manner periodically.

The thing that he said, gas strips away lubricating oils, increasing friction, is just not true, so I'm going to assume nothing else he says is accurate.

After sitting, all the oil drains to the bottom. When it's cold oil is thicker, and it takes a bit longer to get things properly lubricated, so it's good to not set off right away.
    iAnal

In my one truck I wait till the rpm's go down to 800 then off I go. The other two trucks is start and go.
    FJB

(Berks County)

i use my remote start to warm up the interior for myself or cool it down in the summer

New Toyota Camry in 2013. I have always allowed the engine to run 20 minutes since new and no issues now at 248,000 miles burns no oil no smoke and runs excellent. Cant stand a cold car in the winter.

(Allegheny County)

With every car having multiple computer and sensor arrays this shouldn't be a problem

(Elk County)

Hundreds of medallioned NYC taxi operators who used/use ex-LEO Crown Victorias are laughing their asses off as they watch this video. They took ex-LEO CVs with 90K to 150k on the clock and put/putting another 200k to 300k on them before needing serious work, particularly those whose engines ran on synthetic oil and received regular maintenance.

I had to laugh myself at one of the "idling is baaaaaad" comments in the WNEP article text, where they quoted some senior engineer for batteries at PACCAR, the parent company of Kenworth and Peterbilt. A battery engineer at a company known for diesel powered vehicles, which are known for idling.

GTFO.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast