Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default PA game officer searching guns on range

Last week I was shooting at a state game land range in Chester county, located in French Creek state park. There was about 8 of us shooting, 3 of us were using AR style guns.

Out of nowhere a state game land officer, his name is Wilson, shouts for us to step away from the bench and leave all guns on the shooting bench.

He tells us he heard, didnt see, but heard full auto/rapid gun shots. We hand over our ID and hunting license, then he separates our AR upper and lower receiver to check the fire control group/trigger. Noone had a full auto trigger and no tickets were given, however, he did take our ID/hunting license back to his car for whatever reason I dont know, then gave it back with a warning. He was yelling and very unprofessional.

My question is, are PA game commission officers allowed to separate/disassemble our guns, including separating the lower and upper AR15 receiver? Wouldnt this require a warrant if we dont consent to a search? Or is this perfectly legal since the gun is in plain sight?

Default Re: PA game officer searching guns on range

I think that search may have been illegal. I don't know. Maybe our resident attorney will chime in.
    FJB

I don't know the PA laws regarding what game commission officers can and can't do, but I know there is often a pervasive perception that they can violate our fourth amendment rights that is often not supported by law.

For example, here in PRNY, the old timers at camp insisted that ECOs could search your house for taken game without a warrant. The law does not support that at all, it pretty clearly states the opposite.

Your case sure sounds like one of those cases where the GCO was relying on this perception to elicit consent from the shooters, but, again, I don't know the PA laws concerning this.

(Berks County)

I was going to hold off on my two cents but since I'm not first, I'll share it. Their arms are longer than most of the rest of the law and my guess is that, legal or not, they can and will do it with impunity. I already have a case of civil rights violations by the sheriff's department in CHESCO and I don't expect to win it even though I know that they were in the wrong. Here it is, in the event you are interested.

https://rumble.com/v1br06h-chester-c...s-5-26-22.html
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Fishcops are the worst of the LEO community, and I'm including prison guards in the reference group.

I base this on my personal encounters with them, and those of my clients. Worst of the Wannabes.

The state legislature is culpable too, they've given them more power than the Constitution allows, and the courts have slapped them down, but no lessons were learned.

No, you can't search everyone in a group just because it's your range and you THOUGHT you HEARD a violation of the range rules by SOMEBODY. The 4th Amendment still applies, nobody waived their rights when they paid the fee to use the crappy ranges. There are no "exigent circumstances" where (a) MG's are legal if registered, but (b) your "rules" say they can't be used at your range. That's why cops can't strip search you for not wearing a shirt into McDonald's even if they have a "no shoes no shirt no service" sign.

Even if this GCJBT had found an M16, what was he going to do? Confiscate if over a summary offense? File charges based on a misreading of the POW statute?
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Bucks County)

You can only be a door mat if you lay down. Should have told officer Wilson to foad.
    Fish and bunny cops are the worst, as Gunlawyer observed.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Berks County)

i stopped going to french creek but ive never seen the game commission do more then check people shooting non "traditional hunting" weapons to make sure they are allowed to use the range. hell i have used my 50 bmg there once and officer didnt say a word.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    You can only be a door mat if you lay down. Should have told officer Wilson to foad.
    Fish and bunny cops are the worst, as Gunlawyer observed.
    What can we do at that point? He had an AR slung in front of him, and was yelling in an intimidating manner.

"Hey sir you cannot touch my gun".

That wouldve just pissed him off more, and he'd probably write a ticket accusing full auto use at a game land range. You got to take a day off just to go tell a judge what happened.

We had a great PGC officer years ago OFF. Gildea, Sadly he was transferred to Harrisburg. We had no problem volunteering out time cleaning up the range in Tobyhanna with several other shooters, even Gildea himself got dirty cleaning up with us. Never witnessed any action other than professional. Seems you got the Wannabe of the year award for that guy searching you all.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    What can we do at that point? He had an AR slung in front of him, and was yelling in an intimidating manner.

"Hey sir you cannot touch my gun".

That wouldve just pissed him off more, and he'd probably write a ticket accusing full auto use at a game land range. You got to take a day off just to go tell a judge what happened.
    You sound like someone who got vaccinated so you could go to the grocery store.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast