Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New M1s

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: New M1s

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    You hear that a lot but people forget the carbine was an accessory weapon meant to replace the 1911 pistol and should not be compared with the Garand. For many roles carrying a 5 pound short rifle is preferable to a 9+ pound full sized rifle. And I don't think it was so maligned at the time because there are numerous photos of front line troops with some carrying carbines. Accuracy wise just about anyone can quickly put 15 rounds into a pie plate at 50 yards while under stress when very few could even hit the plate at that distance with a 1911.

A quick look at a ballistics chart shows the hot Corbon +P 125 grain 9mm Luger has a velocity of 1250 fps and an energy of 399 ft lbs and is probably fine for killing Germans. But a Carbine with a 110 grain bullet at almost 2000 fps and 970 ft lbs just bounces off? I don't think so.
    Not that it bounces off, but it doesn't do well shooting across open fields and hitting Germans at 150 to 200 yards. On problem the carbine had when it went into service was the magazine would fall out. My buddy's dad was in the Marines during WWII and he told me about the mags dropping out. His name was Harry Hitchcock and he was mentioned in the Guadalcanal Diary for hold the end of the line with his BAR during a night battle.

(Montgomery County)

Xxxxxx
    Last edited by MD66948; October 27th, 2023 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MD66948 View Post
    Not that it bounces off, but it doesn't do well shooting across open fields and hitting Germans at 150 to 200 yards. On problem the carbine had when it went into service was the magazine would fall out. My buddy's dad was in the Marines during WWII and he told me about the mags dropping out. His name was Harry Hitchcock and he was mentioned in the Guadalcanal Diary for hold the end of the line with his BAR during a night battle.
    Henry from 9-Hole Reviews would disagree...

Also, Mrs Ronin has shot her M1 Carbine in multiple rifle and 2-gun matches. She has no problem hitting targets consistently at 200 yards.

(Montgomery County)

I happen to have my M240 in my reloading/gun cleaning room.

(Bucks County)

While hitting a man sized target is easy at 100 yards is easy it does become more challenging at 200 and having a Garand would be superior. But again, the people issued carbines would not have been issued a Garand and would just have a 1911 pistol. At those distances I still think the carbine was superior than doing mag dumps with a pistol. At 100 yards a pistol is worthless and you can not help your team engage the enemy. All you can do is hide and hope to shoot a few when you are overrun. If your father was firing his carbine enough to where the barrel was cooking he was in some serious shit and I can only assume he wouldn't have wanted to only be carrying a pistol.

The early carbines did have a design flaw where they had a push button safety near the trigger and a push button mag release forward of it. Looking at it it is obvious which is which and calmly shooting it at the range I never pressed the wrong button. But in the heat of a battle when you have someone in your sites it did happen some, especially with new troops. They later changed the design to a flip safety to fix the problem.

G0222-Defense-Rifles-2.jpg

(Philadelphia County)

I am the son of a WWII combat veteran. When my dad saw me with my first carbine he told me never to put my life behind one. He said they didn't kill Germans too well and when the barrel got hot the rounds went all over the place. I heard the same thing from other combat vets. I think they are a fun gun to shoot. I àlso have a 100 percent IBM and Saginaw M1 carbine.
    Paul Harrel has a good video on YouTube comparing the M-1 Carbine to a couple of rifles. It holds its own for what it was designed for. As stated by others, to augment those carrying 1911s. I like shooting the carbine over the Garand myself. My father also was a WWII combat vet, unfortunately I never talked to him about his wartime experiences.

(Butler County)

Nice score.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Paul Harrel has a good video on YouTube comparing the M-1 Carbine to a couple of rifles. It holds its own for what it was designed for. As stated by others, to augment those carrying 1911s. I like shooting the carbine over the Garand myself. My father also was a WWII combat vet, unfortunately I never talked to him about his wartime experiences.
    My father was also a WWII vet with 41 months of combat time on his DD214. He says they shorted him 3 months of Combat Time and hash marks on his sleeve. My dad was sent to Africa as part of Lend Lease before WWII working with the British. He was issued Sargent Stripes, a New in the Grease 1921/1928 Navy Proofed Thompson and a Colt 45 Revolver before shipping out. He was there in Africa 6 months before Pearl Harbor. His enlistment was actually up but the Army would not send him home.

My father was in the first wave of Amphibious Combat Engineers at Omaha Beach and was only 1 of 2 Engineers who survived the landing. My Dad's Engineering group was assigned to the 29th Div. When my dad got into his first bayonet fight in the hedgerows, he had to use a shovel and a M3 combat knife on some Germans. He gave his Thompson to a wounded soldier and took that soldier's M1 Garand. My father told me he needed that bayonet and the capabilities to shoot 200 yards or more in Europe. His opinion of the carbine was from actual combat use in Europe.

When I got close to graduating from High School my dad started telling me war stories of things he did and had to do to stay alive. He should have written a book. My dad lost his Sargent stripes at the end of the war when he put 2 MPs in the hospital. His Captain quickly transferred my dad to the 82 Airbourne so he wasn't caught and sent to jail.

Now my Stepbrother in-law, John Gaul, RIP John, carried an M1 Carbine in VN for 3 tours. John told me his job as a Green Beret was not to get into shootouts with the NVA/VC. His GB group was into stealth operations. John thought the M1 Carbine was good for this close in work. John did tell me if he had to go into a fire fight, he preferred the M14 over the M1 Carbine and would switch weapons.

My dad's Ike Jacket:

(Berks County)

Very nice ! Very nice indeed ! I have a '43 Springfield Garand and a '43 IBM (Auto Ordnance receiver) Carbine ...I love them both and both are excellent shooters . The only modification I made was I put an aftermarket gas port on the Garand so it can handle the hotter ammo if necessary . I have several cans of Greek, Sellier/Bellot and Prvi Partizan M1 surplus

B50D4083-6A62-40F9-819E-AD0A5EF050F7.jpg
    0434171D-0B09-4960-AFF6-44E0C47481C4.jpg
    Last edited by Zeke2A; November 5th, 2023 at 04:16 PM.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Montgomery County)

John Gaul is my stepbrother in law. My dad remarried and John married my stepmother's daughter. John retired as a Colonel after 20 years of service as a GB and served all over the world in conflicts as an advisor. Day after 911 he was brought back into service for 3 more years. John help build Tora Bora as an adviser when Russia invaded Afghanistan. John told me he was in direct combat against the Russians, and he did kill a few.

John passed away several years ago from cancer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast