Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FFL

Default Re: FFL

Quote Originally Posted by rickwhoo View Post
    They said it will be like I was buying it from their inventory. No FFL fee... Price of the AR+tax+PICS
    As mentioned above, it’s your terminology that caused this to go a bit sideways

FFL= gun shop / dealer
    Transfer Fee = additional fee that an FFL will charge when acting as the conduit for an online purchase or private sale

(Berks County)

They said it will be like I was buying it from their inventory. No FFL fee... Price of the AR+tax+PICS
    And I would say that the PICS is an FFL fee. Out The Door (OTT) includes everything.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Jefferson County)

Here is the general thing that is done with most FFL's.

1a. If you buy from their inventory - the PICS/transfer fee is often incorporated into the sticker price. That sticker price is their cost for the gun/shipping, profit, and PICS fee+time involved.
    1b. Some FFL's exclude the PICS fee from the sticker price, then tack it on when doing the overall sales price.

2. If you special order something through that FFL, it could go with 1a or 1b, above. It depends on the specific dealer's methodology.

3. If you buy something elsewhere and have it shipped to your FFL to perform the paperwork(like ordering from Bud's Gunshop), or do a walk-in transfer - they charge the PICS fee($5 for the first gun, then additional $3 per firearm thereafter - this goes to the state) + their labor fee for the time involved to do the paperwork and log book shit. Sometimes the PICS fee and dealer cost is listed together(like $25-$50), sometimes they break it down. Some dealers do a flat $25-$50 per gun, some will do $25-$50 for the first gun, then add a nominal fee to cover the addition $3 PICS fees + additional time.

PICS fees: $5 on the first gun + $3 for each additional gun on the same approved transfer number. This goes to the state.

FFL fee: Variable, depends on the dealer's needed profit for time/labor involved.

Sometimes folks interchangeably use "PICS fee" and "FFL fee" when referring to the cost of the paperwork and surcharge by the state.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    And I would say that the PICS is an FFL fee. Out The Door (OTT) includes everything.
    Their PICS charge is only $5.00

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Here is the general thing that is done with most FFL's.

1a. If you buy from their inventory - the PICS/transfer fee is often incorporated into the sticker price. That sticker price is their cost for the gun/shipping, profit, and PICS fee+time involved.
    1b. Some FFL's exclude the PICS fee from the sticker price, then tack it on when doing the overall sales price.

2. If you special order something through that FFL, it could go with 1a or 1b, above. It depends on the specific dealer's methodology.

3. If you buy something elsewhere and have it shipped to your FFL to perform the paperwork(like ordering from Bud's Gunshop), or do a walk-in transfer - they charge the PICS fee($5 for the first gun, then additional $3 per firearm thereafter - this goes to the state) + their labor fee for the time involved to do the paperwork and log book shit. Sometimes the PICS fee and dealer cost is listed together(like $25-$50), sometimes they break it down. Some dealers do a flat $25-$50 per gun, some will do $25-$50 for the first gun, then add a nominal fee to cover the addition $3 PICS fees + additional time.

PICS fees: $5 on the first gun + $3 for each additional gun on the same approved transfer number. This goes to the state.

FFL fee: Variable, depends on the dealer's needed profit for time/labor involved.

Sometimes folks interchangeably use "PICS fee" and "FFL fee" when referring to the cost of the paperwork and surcharge by the state.
    I paid 85.00 bucks for a dealer to receive and transfer a shotgun for me. The seller (Pa res) said it was illegal to ship directly to me.
    His FFL told him that. I sent him the quoted law but he still insisted. Pissed me off but I really wanted that shotgun.
    FJB

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I paid 85.00 bucks for a dealer to receive and transfer a shotgun for me. The seller (Pa res) said it was illegal to ship directly to me.
    His FFL told him that. I sent him the quoted law but he still insisted. Pissed me off but I really wanted that shotgun.
    SPAS?

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    SPAS?
    Yep. I forget what year I bought it, 2018 I think.
    FJB

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Yeah, some places charge high, some low. Our local shop charges(or used to) $15+tax = $15.90. Been a few years since I did one there, they probably have raised it by now.

You are correct, if it doesn't need a proper transfer(state or federal) - a gun can legally be shipped to you directly by law. However, USPS and all the carriers now require a gun to be shipped to a FFL. And some require a gun to be shipped BY a FFL as well.

My feelings on that are: Get very friendly with an FFL who understands the law. For each situation, have a nice private conversation about receiving a "box". Have package shipped to his/her shop with "In Care Of: YOUR NAME" at Joe Schmo's Gun Shop 12345 Main St, Whatever Town, PA.

When the FFL receives the "box", he/she just gives you a call to come pick it up. He/she should NOT open it. So long as they don't take possession of the gun(open the box), he doesn't have to enter it into their bound book. Once in that bound book there are very few methods of disposing of it without a background check and paperwork. I am 98% certain that is completely legal.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Yeah, some places charge high, some low. Our local shop charges(or used to) $15+tax = $15.90. Been a few years since I did one there, they probably have raised it by now.

You are correct, if it doesn't need a proper transfer(state or federal) - a gun can legally be shipped to you directly by law. However, USPS and all the carriers now require a gun to be shipped to a FFL. And some require a gun to be shipped BY a FFL as well.

My feelings on that are: Get very friendly with an FFL who understands the law. For each situation, have a nice private conversation about receiving a "box". Have package shipped to his/her shop with "In Care Of: YOUR NAME" at Joe Schmo's Gun Shop 12345 Main St, Whatever Town, PA.

When the FFL receives the "box", he/she just gives you a call to come pick it up. He/she should NOT open it. So long as they don't take possession of the gun(open the box), he doesn't have to enter it into their bound book. Once in that bound book there are very few methods of disposing of it without a background check and paperwork. I am 98% certain that is completely legal.
    Whenever shipping ammo through ups, I just tell them its something else. ups stores wont ship ammo,
    but the main hubs do As for long guns, I have never shipped one without a FFL due to its destination.
    One day none of these items will be shippable without some kind of license.
    FJB

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234