Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Gun Show pricing for used guns

I'm a C&R guy, primarily interested in older guns. I have a "wish list" with prices that guns actually sold for on Gunbroker. I won't go much above those prices since I'm taking a risk that there could be something seriously wrong with the gun, and returns are difficult to impossible. Is this a reasonable approach? A couple of dealers have told me that my offers were almost insulting but I assumed that they were blowing smoke.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Gun Show pricing for used guns

Quote Originally Posted by fritz1255 View Post
    I'm a C&R guy, primarily interested in older guns. I have a "wish list" with prices that guns actually sold for on Gunbroker. I won't go much above those prices since I'm taking a risk that there could be something seriously wrong with the gun, and returns are difficult to impossible. Is this a reasonable approach? A couple of dealers have told me that my offers were almost insulting but I assumed that they were blowing smoke.
    Since you're only 'almost' insulting, you sound good to go. And if you're willing to pony up a little more than the GB sales price, I'd say that you're even being fair about it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

I might pay a little more for a used gun in hand, than it would cost me to buy & ship & transfer a gun to myself off the Web.

But not for a new gun, or a new anything. If I can get X for $500 online, why would I pay $550 in person?

A seller's optimism is not really a factor in the market value. Sometimes they want to take it home at the end of the day, more than they want to sell it. So let them.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Erie County)

Remember that on GB you will also have to pay fees, tax, and shipping as well as the transfer. So the GB "sold" price isn't the actual cost of the gun. IIRC the last time I bought off GB there was over $70 in added costs, plus the transfer.
    Plus, when buying on GB you have to take the word of the seller on the condition of the item, whereas you can actually hold and inspect the item yourself in person.
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I might pay a little more for a used gun in hand, than it would cost me to buy & ship & transfer a gun to myself off the Web.

But not for a new gun, or a new anything. If I can get X for $500 online, why would I pay $550 in person?

A seller's optimism is not really a factor in the market value. Sometimes they want to take it home at the end of the day, more than they want to sell it. So let them.
    I think your last point is especially valid. Many dealers bring guns to shows that they don't really want to sell, and I'm certainly not going to spend the money to force the issue. I have family in Maine and have gone to a couple of shows while visiting. I run into this one guy at every show who rents a couple of tables and displays several nice milsurps but nothing is for sale. I think he mostly likes to talk guns with people.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Remember that on GB you will also have to pay fees, tax, and shipping as well as the transfer. So the GB "sold" price isn't the actual cost of the gun. IIRC the last time I bought off GB there was over $70 in added costs, plus the transfer.
    Plus, when buying on GB you have to take the word of the seller on the condition of the item, whereas you can actually hold and inspect the item yourself in person.
    I keep this handy when buying/selling on broker.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/CalculateFinalValueFee
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    GB has added fee's but gun shows also have table fee's. Last I heard it was a couple hundred bucks. If you sell 5 guns at a show and it's $500 for a table, that's an extra $100 per gun. I see a lot of guns at the end of gun shows that don't sell, especially if they're niche guns.
    iAnal

(Chester County)

When pricing guns, for sale or buying, I check gunbroker's completed sales and this site: truegunvalue.com. I've found that averaging these two gives a realistic price range on most guns. YMMV

(Northumberland County)

I see no issue with this, especially if you're taking a rough average of multiple sold GB guns. They can accept or deny the offer...free market.

Guns are worth whatever someone will pay for them, depending on how much they want it. In-person purchases, whether at a gun shop or gun show are always subject to haggling and waving CASH in front of the seller. If the seller doesn't want to sell it for what yer willing to pay, move along. It pays to walk thru the whole show first before buying.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast