Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Gun Show pricing for used guns

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    GB has added fee's but gun shows also have table fee's. Last I heard it was a couple hundred bucks. If you sell 5 guns at a show and it's $500 for a table, that's an extra $100 per gun. I see a lot of guns at the end of gun shows that don't sell, especially if they're niche guns.
    Here is the pricing for Pa gun shows. https://eagleshows.com/vendors/ Oaks is $100-110 per table. Then you have to take into account transportation cost/time, lodging if you are traveling from afar, paying employees if you have any etc*. So costs add up. It*s why if someone is selling a gun at a fair price I do not haggle. I understand they are doing this for a profit. Yes I might get a gun cheaper on line, but I like holding guns and I like the concept of being able to go to a place that has thousands of guns that I am free to peruse. If a gun is above what I consider a fair price I keep walking. While I understand they have to make a profit, I do not have to be a fool parting with his money.

To the OP, If your strategy is your comfort level, go with it. It might be far and few between finding guns you want for a price you will pay, but you need to be happy at the end of the day. If you are not finding any deals what so ever, then you might want to reconsider the strategy.

(York County)

I find this thread very interesting. I price my stuff according to gunbroker. I look at what like examples have sold for, then deduct what fees i would pay to gunbroker if it sold there, in order to get what i would put in my pocket. I then discount even further because this is south central PA and no one wants to pay gunbroker prices, or close to gunbroker prices. I set my prices at about 70-80% of what it sell for on gunbroker. Many times it works against me as it will still never be cheap enough for most people. Some times, people see a deal and they know it and will buy it. My buddy is at the York show today and had a guy ask for a better price on a $200 gun. A $200 gun! He said no, and the guy replied with *well i had to try or I wouldn*t be doing my part*. I assure you sir*.you do not have to try. You don*t have to ask. That being said, there are many people that don*t know what things are worth and are either stuck at values from the 1980s, or they are still stuck on pandemic era prices. I did happen to see a few more people walking stuff around on their shoulders at the show today than i have in the past year or so*.but they are asking full retail plus. I honestly don*t think many private sellers are clued in on the current market as they seem to be asking for ridiculous prices. Of course, I understand the no paperwork lure generates a 20% markup for some reason.

(Bucks County)

"I bought this 870 express in the summer of 2021 and I stood in line for 3 hours to get it. I paid $600 and I just want what I have into it."

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    "I bought this 870 express in the summer of 2021 and I stood in line for 3 hours to get it. I paid $600 and I just want what I have into it."
    Pump?
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by Marines55 View Post
    I find this thread very interesting. I price my stuff according to gunbroker. I look at what like examples have sold for, then deduct what fees i would pay to gunbroker if it sold there, in order to get what i would put in my pocket. I then discount even further because this is south central PA and no one wants to pay gunbroker prices, or close to gunbroker prices. I set my prices at about 70-80% of what it sell for on gunbroker. Many times it works against me as it will still never be cheap enough for most people. Some times, people see a deal and they know it and will buy it. My buddy is at the York show today and had a guy ask for a better price on a $200 gun. A $200 gun! He said no, and the guy replied with *well i had to try or I wouldn*t be doing my part*. I assure you sir*.you do not have to try. You don*t have to ask. That being said, there are many people that don*t know what things are worth and are either stuck at values from the 1980s, or they are still stuck on pandemic era prices. I did happen to see a few more people walking stuff around on their shoulders at the show today than i have in the past year or so*.but they are asking full retail plus. I honestly don*t think many private sellers are clued in on the current market as they seem to be asking for ridiculous prices. Of course, I understand the no paperwork lure generates a 20% markup for some reason.
    Cross reference with gunsinternational.com

Two sources sometimes are better than one. Cabela's sells there.
    Last edited by bogey1; October 28th, 2023 at 07:50 PM.
    FJB

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Pump?
    870 is a pump yes. This was not my experience. I was mocking a hypothetical person.

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    870 is a pump yes. This was not my experience. I was mocking a hypothetical person.
    Oh, so you didn't pay 650 for it. I was getting all hyped up as I have a couple old ones that are far superior than the newer ones.
    FJB

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Oh, so you didn't pay 650 for it. I was getting all hyped up as I have a couple old ones that are far superior than the newer ones.
    God no.

(Chester County)

Don't want to start a poopstorm here, but I think many used guns at shows come from estate sales and have been purchased at significantly below retail. Anyone hazard a guess as to what percentage fall into this category?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by fritz1255 View Post
    Don't want to start a poopstorm here, but I think many used guns at shows come from estate sales and have been purchased at significantly below retail. Anyone hazard a guess as to what percentage fall into this category?
    I doubt you are going to start a poop storm by asking this question. I can say that as a dealer, i have zero time to go to estate sales and fight people with more cash than common sense. I don*t know of many dealers who actually go to estate sales because it just never pays off. People always seem to spend more on stuff at auctions than they could get it for at Walmart or a local shop. I don*t know where these people are when i try to sell something but they sure aren*t going to gun shows. Maybe it*s the *i have to win something* attitude. Very few firearms come from estates. Most of my used guns come from trade ins or from buying from other dealers who go them on trade ins.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast