Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Questions about PA to CT Road Trip

Is there any lawful way to carry from PA to CT? At CT, gun would be kept at a private residence while I'm there. I'm really only concerned about/interested in carrying for the drive across the state, through NJ and NY, to CT.

If the answer is no, and I suspect it, what are the state regulations to be aware of that could add to the charges if caught? IE: Mag capacity (and is it okay to just load mags to that capacity, or must they be unable to hold beyond the capacity, likely 10 rounds), types of bullets allowed/disallowed, etc.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Questions about PA to CT Road Trip

Take 84 across NY and avoid NJ and the NYC metro area all together.

Leave the gun home unless you're willing to risk jail, confiscation, or worse.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

FOPA (codified at 18 U.S.C. § 926A) guarantees the right of a law-abiding person to transport an unloaded firearm between a location where he or she may legally carry it and a destination where he or she may also legally carry it, regardless of state or local laws along the route of travel that would otherwise apply. Under the current law, the gun must be cased or otherwise not readily accessible.
    iAnal

(Bucks County)

Tell it to the Judge.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Tell it to the Judge.
    If that wasn't the truth, it would be funny
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

Thanks all for the information and advice. Unfortunately, with a little one and a long car ride, we'll likely be doing a good portion of the traveling overnight (leave shortly before little one goes down, and let him sleep during the whole trip). I also will be stopping to charge my vehicle along the way, and not all of the chargers are located in the most well-lit/populated areas, esp if I'll be doing so at midnight or later.

Outside of a firearm, are pepper spray and fixed blades/folders allowed, or are those just as verboten?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mancolt View Post
    Is there any lawful way to carry from PA to CT? At CT, gun would be kept at a private residence while I'm there. I'm really only concerned about/interested in carrying for the drive across the state, through NJ and NY, to CT.

If the answer is no, and I suspect it, what are the state regulations to be aware of that could add to the charges if caught? IE: Mag capacity (and is it okay to just load mags to that capacity, or must they be unable to hold beyond the capacity, likely 10 rounds), types of bullets allowed/disallowed, etc.
    Regarding OP's original plan for travel with firearm to CT as the destination (and returning home with CT as the origin):

There is an unresolved issue as to whether FOPA gives any protection once you are in the destination state (CT). Arguably you become fully subject to CT's firearm laws while you are within its borders and that FOPA only provides protect while in an intervening state.

FOPA transport protection in states of origin/destination - UNLIKELY [A Report]
    IANAL

(Monroe County)

In light of Bruen , there is no reason you shouldn*t be able to apply for and expect to receive a non resident permit from both NY and CT. Pre Bruen , non resident CT was always possible, I have a buddy who has had CT for years.

You could also hire me to be your gun bearer. Retired and active police can carry in any state. But those are the only legit legal ways I can think of.

AJ

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by hipowr View Post
    In light of Bruen , there is no reason you shouldn*t be able to apply for and expect to receive a non resident permit from both NY and CT. Pre Bruen , non resident CT was always possible, I have a buddy who has had CT for years.

You could also hire me to be your gun bearer. Retired and active police can carry in any state. But those are the only legit legal ways I can think of.

AJ
    SCOTUS didn't shoot down any state's laws that restrict issuance of permits/licenses to non-residents. NY will only issue a permit if you own property there or do business/work there. (some more friendly counties are a bit more lax on the "do business" aspect)

Bruen only forced states to drop the "may issue" practice in favor of shall issue - to their own residents.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

I would be very careful. My father used to live in CT and i know has very restrictive exemptions on transporting handguns without a permit. A Non Resident Is possible to get pretty easily ( I Used to have one ) If your willing to take a course and spend the money. I haven't been there in years but I know the laws have gotten stricter too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast